caught speeding by following

Old May 18th 05, 03:02 AM
Harry K

John David Galt wrote:
> > He did? Let's see. He radars a car and observes another going at

the
> > same or very similar speed behind him. That testimony by itself is
> > sufficient. He then asks the lead to corroborate his observation.

That
> > gives two bits of evidence for the court rather than just the

cop's.
> > Slam dunk, guilty.

> Only if the lead driver is present when the poster goes to trial.
> Otherwise quoting him would be hearsay; probable result - DISMISSED!

So now you're a lawyer too? Sorry that one won't fly because the
burden of proof is much less on infractions. If need be, to suit you,
the cop could supeona the witness. As I pointed out, the cops word
alone would be sufficient, the witness statement just adds icing to the
cake. Someone up thread at least put out some arguments that would at
least be considered by the judge.

Harry K

Old May 18th 05, 03:02 AM
Harry K

223rem wrote:
> Harry K wrote:
>

> > He did? Let's see. He radars a car and observes another going at

the
> > same or very similar speed behind him.

> His view of the following car was blocked by the car in front.
>

> > sufficient. He then asks the lead to corroborate his observation.

That
> > gives two bits of evidence for the court rather than just the

cop's.
> > Slam dunk, guilty.

> The witness is not qualified to visually estimate speeds.
>
> More interestingly, how does a single cop car pull over 2
> vehicles??

The witness isn't estimating speed. He is just saying that car B was
maintaining a set distance. The cop ain't estimating speed either,
just observing that it is at or close to the speed he radared already.
No need to estimate.

As for pulling over two. He pulls over Car A and waves B over or waves
both over (happened to me). Gets a bit more exciting if he has to chase
down the first one.

Harry K

Old May 18th 05, 05:22 PM

There is no way out of this one. Don't bother fighting it. Just pay
the ticket and take traffic school in order to get the point off you're
record.

It's not loosing points you should be worried about, it's gaining them.
Go over the DMV drivers hand book. It's got Arnold Swartzennegers
photo and signature inside it. Read it, it would be a good refresher
for you.

Old May 18th 05, 08:17 PM
M. Johnson

On Tue, 17 May 2005 13:06:39 -0400, "Ted B." >
wrote:

>Dave

Are you Ted B or Dave?

Old May 18th 05, 08:18 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article .com>,
says...

>thanks for all your replies. I see there are a few questions being
>asked. First the cop was standing on the side of the road with the
>radar in his hand. Therefore as we approached he told us both to pull
>over. He showed me his radar gun which clocked 76, but said that was
>the guy in front of me.

Great those are two pieces of informaiton you can use in your defense. If
he locked in the speed, he probably did not do a proper tracking history
so he would not be able to help him guess which vehicle was causing the reading
on his radar unit. The other thing he said which helps you is that he
specifically told he he did not clock you but based his estimate on your
proximity to the other vehicle in front of you. It is quite possible that
since he locked in the reading on the car in front of you that reading occured
pretty far down the road. At that point the car in front of you slowed down
and that closed the gap between you and the car in front of you. That made
it appear that you were travelling at the same speed as the car in front of
you when he was clocked.

>We both came over a hill then a curve.

That means the officer had a very limited view of what happened. It also
probably means that he did not do a visual estimate of speed before the
radar clocked the speed. So he relied entirely on the radar.

>The speed limit is 50 but if I can proove I was going under 70 I can still
>get fined but no points lost.

You should not try to prove you were going a certain speed as much as you
should show that the officer did not know what speed you were travelling at.
You don't want to lie in court.
Alex

Speeding bus driver loses control and kills two innocent people Ted B. Driving 15 May 12th 05 06:11 PM
Help: Speeding Ticket in Atlanta RKN Driving 3 May 5th 05 04:36 PM
Speeding sucks Magnulus Driving 191 April 26th 05 05:21 AM
Car Rental Company Told to Stop Overcharging Speeding Customers Big Bill Driving 0 April 6th 05 09:54 PM
Running a stop sign is not speeding John F. Carr Driving 19 January 19th 05 05:50 PM