'96 ZJ front end rebuild

Old August 10th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
maleemi

Default '96 ZJ front end rebuild

My '96 6 cyl Laredo (128,000 miles) is showing the first signs of death
wobble. I'm planning to replace the shocks and springs (most likely OME)
and the steering damper but while I'm at it I'm thinking I should go
ahead and replace as many of the front end components as feasible.

I'm trying to keep cost down but am looking for suggestions on which
components I should replace. Should I go with OEM parts or is there
aftermarket stuff that is a better value?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Best Regards,

Marcel
Old August 10th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dick[_1_]

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 03:42:56 GMT, maleemi > wrote:

>My '96 6 cyl Laredo (128,000 miles) is showing the first signs of death
>wobble. I'm planning to replace the shocks and springs (most likely OME)
>and the steering damper but while I'm at it I'm thinking I should go
>ahead and replace as many of the front end components as feasible.
>
>I'm trying to keep cost down but am looking for suggestions on which
>components I should replace. Should I go with OEM parts or is there
>aftermarket stuff that is a better value?
>
>Any suggestions are appreciated.
>

>Best Regards,
>
>Marcel

You need to consider the drag links, track bar and tie-rod ends as
well as the shocks and steering damper. I had aftermarket parts used
on my ZJ, and it has been perfect since it was repaired.

Dick
Old August 10th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

maleemi wrote:
> My '96 6 cyl Laredo (128,000 miles) is showing the first signs of
> death wobble. I'm planning to replace the shocks and springs (most
> likely OME) and the steering damper but while I'm at it I'm thinking
> I should go ahead and replace as many of the front end components as
> feasible.
> I'm trying to keep cost down but am looking for suggestions on which
> components I should replace. Should I go with OEM parts or is there
> aftermarket stuff that is a better value?
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.

I've had DW a couple of times on my 93 but never had to do major
front-end work.

New sway bar and track bar bushings, new shocks, factory stabilizer,
alignment, balance, and tighten the control arm mounting bolts.
I have new poly bushings for the control arms but that's one hell
of a job to do.

Replaced the springs once. The old ones had sagged quite a bit
and did it ever make a difference in ride quality. The fronts were
available in progressive rate (makes things a bit softer but not sure
I'd do it again) but the rears were only available from the factory.
Next time I'm going to get the up-country springs for a 1" lift.

Most of those are written up on my site. ZJ though.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks