Rotary Engine FAQ 0605

Old May 1st 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.rotary,rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,aus.cars,rec.autos.driving

Default Rotary Engine FAQ 0605

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How does a rotary engine work?
2. What's a boinger?
3. Why does a rotary engine make as much power as a boinger twice its size?
4. Why does a Renesis make so much more power than prior rotaries?
5. How reliable is a rotary engine?
6. Is the rotary engine dead?
7. What do the 10A, 12A, 13B & 20B Mazda engine designations mean?
8. Why two spark plugs for each rotor?
9. What spark plugs should I use?
10. Why does my rotary Mazda have an oil cooler?
11. Why does a rotary burn oil?
12. What oil should I use?
13. Should I use synthetic oil?
14. Do oil brands matter?
15. How often should I change my rotary engine's oil?
16. Should I mix oil in the fuel?
17. What's the best fuel for my rotary car?
18. What gas mileage should a rotary get?
19. Does a rotary have any booby traps I need to watch out for?
20. Will removing my thermostat help my rotary run cooler or make more power?
21. When should I shift?
22. What is an apex seal?
23. How do I know if my engine's apex seals are OK?
24. What should my engine's compression be?
25. What are the differences between earlier & later Mazda rotaries?
26. What are the differences between 6-Port & 4-Port rotaries?
27. How do I tell a 12A from a 13B?
28. What is a thermal reactor?
29. What's the best way to test changes I make that affect my car's power?
30. What if I switch to a light flywheel?
31. How do I get the old flywheel off?
32. How hard is it to stop oil from leaking?
33. O-rings? What o-rings?
34. What's that foamy stuff under the oil fill cap & inside the filler tube?
35. Why does my engine smoke when I first start it?
36. Why does my engine smoke when I shift at high RPM?
37. Why won't my engine start? What can I do to start it?
38. Why is my engine locked up, and what do I do about it?
39. My engine just failed its emissions test. Now what do I do?
40. What's the best way to make my rotary car accelerate quicker?
41. How hard would it be for me to rebuild my rotary?
42. What is porting all about?
43. Can I add a turbo to my NA?
44. Why is rotary exhaust replacement or improvement so expensive?
45. Why not hollow out the cats?
46. How do I remove my air pump?
47. How do I stop the backfiring?
48. How can I tell if my car has a limited-slip differential?
49. Where can I race my rotary car?
50. Corvttes, Mustngs, Firbirds, Camros, Porches & RX7s?
51. What are the RX-7 "generations"?
52. Which model RX-7 do I have? How do the various RX-7 models differ?
53. What other regular production cars have had rotary engines?
54. Why did Mazda stop selling the RX-7 in the US?
55. How do I subscribe/unsubscribe to the mailing list?
56. Is there an RX-7 club I can join?
57. My question's not on this list. Where do I go from here?

Plus, links to the RX-7 generational FAQ; tech goodies, such as the "Rotary
Parts Interchange" & "replacing 12A with 13B", in "The Garage"; links to
information on upcoming rotary models and rotary history; acronymn dictionary;
instructions for subscribing to mailing lists; links to vendors; and much more.

Just click on URL below to get to Felix's.
--
"All have sinned & fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** Rotary ONLY since 1973

Felix Miata *** http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/ <- More than just a FAQ