92 Pontiac Transport - opinions?

Old March 9th 05, 03:30 AM
dociscool

Default 92 Pontiac Transport - opinions?

Hi all,

A friend is looking at a 92 Pontiac Transport SE minivan. It has high miles
(188k), but paint and exterior appear to be in surprisingly fine shape
despite mileage and age. Interior is fair and needs some work. It has a 3800
V6 and seems to run good. Seller is asking $1000, but would probably take
$800.

Any opinions about this minivan model or year? Thanks

TR

Old March 10th 05, 04:54 AM
Steve B.

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 20:30:38 -0600, "dociscool" >
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>A friend is looking at a 92 Pontiac Transport SE minivan. It has high miles
>(188k), but paint and exterior appear to be in surprisingly fine shape
>despite mileage and age. Interior is fair and needs some work. It has a 3800
>V6 and seems to run good. Seller is asking $1000, but would probably take
>$800.
>
>Any opinions about this minivan model or year? Thanks
>
>TR

The 3.8 is a good engine but any vehicle with 188k on it....who
knows.... Maintenance history is more important than anything on a
vehicle with that mileage. Does the seller have maintenance records?

Not to be rude but you can't expect much reliability out of an $800
car. Many of us here have bought cars like this and gotten another
100k out of them but I'm sure there are just as many that have sent
them to the junk yard a thousand miles later. It's a crapshoot.

Good Luck!!

Steve B.
Old March 17th 05, 04:57 AM
92APV 92APV is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dociscool
Hi all,

A friend is looking at a 92 Pontiac Transport SE minivan. It has high miles
(188k), but paint and exterior appear to be in surprisingly fine shape
despite mileage and age. Interior is fair and needs some work. It has a 3800
V6 and seems to run good. Seller is asking $1000, but would probably take
$800.

Any opinions about this minivan model or year? Thanks

TR
Have the same vehicle in Chevy flavor. 3.8 is bulletproof and the van is All fiberglass, will never rust. We have 215K and expect to make 300K+ with no major work. There is a timing chain in there so no worries about maintenance, just keep up regular oil changes.
Old March 24th 05, 02:42 AM
dociscool

I appreciate all of the replies to my original post. My friend eventually
bought the van for $1000 and has had it about a week. He's put well less
than $100 in repairs into it and has fixed all of the broken door handles
and replaced the burned up wiring harness to the dash, so now everything
works great. Also looks and runs great.

TR