93 YJ automatic tranny slip

Old January 6th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
paul

Default 93 YJ automatic tranny slip

93 YJ I6
Whilst accelerating on the heavy side the transmission noticeably 'slips' -
(RPM's stay elevated, engine revs, no drivetrain response).

This just recently has reared its head, I know zilch about tranny's. Fluid
level is appropriate and fluid color is a 'warm' red (not new red, not
severally off color).

Any thoughts?

tia
paul

Old January 7th 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

paul wrote:
> 93 YJ I6
> Whilst accelerating on the heavy side the transmission noticeably
> 'slips' - (RPM's stay elevated, engine revs, no drivetrain response).
>
> This just recently has reared its head, I know zilch about tranny's.
> Fluid level is appropriate and fluid color is a 'warm' red (not new
> red, not severally off color).
>
> Any thoughts?

Some, and one of them might even be correct. :]

First, make sure the kickdown cable on the throttle body is
attached and adjusted properly. There is a button you push
then you can move the cable body back and forth. Adjust it
just a tiny bit at a time. Further away = harsher shift
closer = more slip.

Your Jeep should have a diagnostics on the overdrive lamp.
Cycle the ignition on-off-on-off-on (not start) then watch
the lamp by the OD button. It blinks the same way the check
engine lamp blinks two sets of blinks with a pause in the middle
55 = end

If it's been a while I'd suggest getting the fluid and filter
changed. And while the pan is off, the bands adjusted.

--
DougW

Old January 11th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
D Gavilanes

Doug,

My '93 YJ I-6 auto tranny doesn't have an OD button (but I wish that it
did). Was that optional in '93? Where would it have been located?
BTW, mine has dealer installed Jeep A/C underdash unit. Could this have
eliminated/covered the OD control and light?

Regards,

Doug Gavilanes
Garden Grove, CA.

Old January 12th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_13_]

No, nowhere and no.

Earle

ink.net...

Old January 13th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
paul

Doug,
I had the fluid and filter changed at a local place and was told that the
transmission was a Toyota (?) and there are no adjustment bands in it....?

The slip is still evident, I will check the error codes tomorrow am.

I found this handy tip on adjusting the kickdown cable:
http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1b/bl576b.htm

thanks
paul

Old January 13th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
paul

Error codes a
12 = battery disconnected within last 50 key cycles (oddly enough the other
day it was rather cold in the morning and the jeep cranked VERY slow and
hard, when it finally started I noticed that the radio clock had reset
itself and all my pre-sets were lost - indicative of a battery disconnect).
and
33 = a/c clutch relay circuit, open or shorted. The only A/C I have is when
I take the top and doors off.. . .

Old January 13th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

paul wrote:
> Error codes a
> 12 = battery disconnected within last 50 key cycles (oddly enough the
> other day it was rather cold in the morning and the jeep cranked VERY
> slow and hard, when it finally started I noticed that the radio clock
> had reset itself and all my pre-sets were lost - indicative of a
> battery disconnect). and
> 33 = a/c clutch relay circuit, open or shorted. The only A/C I have
> is when I take the top and doors off.. . .

As far as engine codes, both of those would be normal for you.
the 33 throws if you don't have a/c.

I was thinking in terms of the 93 ZJ which has an overdrive and associated
light. That light will blink out codes from the transmission computer.

Do you know what model of transmission you have?
It's going to be either a 32RH or AW4
http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/32rh.html
http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/aw4.html

My ZJ has the 42RE, which is different from yours so you may
not have the blinky doodad.

As for the how-to on adjusting the cable. Sometimes that works and
sometimes it doesn't To be safe note where the cable is before you
start adjusting.

My diagnostics shows only a few things for slip. Bands, low fluid,
kickdown cable, and blocked valvebody.

My knowledge on transmissions is limited to the basic fluid/filter
changes. Never had any of mine apart.

--
DougW

Old January 13th 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_13_]

"DougW" > wrote in message

> Do you know what model of transmission you have?
> It's going to be either a 32RH or AW4
> http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/32rh.html
> http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/aw4.html

The Wranglers got the 32RH three speed because of length considerations.

Earle

Old January 13th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
paul

I also know next to nothing on transmissions,,,,

Now the big question,,, I am running 33 x 9.5's with a D35 -3.07 rear end,
am I putting too much work on my transmission because of this? (I6)

thanks
paul

Old January 14th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:51:25 -0600, paul wrote:

> I also know next to nothing on transmissions,,,,
>
> Now the big question,,, I am running 33 x 9.5's with a D35 -3.07 rear end,
> am I putting too much work on my transmission because of this? (I6)
>
> thanks
> paul
>
> "DougW" > wrote in message
>> paul wrote:
>>> Error codes a
>>> 12 = battery disconnected within last 50 key cycles (oddly enough the
>>> other day it was rather cold in the morning and the jeep cranked VERY
>>> slow and hard, when it finally started I noticed that the radio clock
>>> had reset itself and all my pre-sets were lost - indicative of a
>>> battery disconnect). and
>>> 33 = a/c clutch relay circuit, open or shorted. The only A/C I have
>>> is when I take the top and doors off.. . .

>> As far as engine codes, both of those would be normal for you.
>> the 33 throws if you don't have a/c.
>>
>> I was thinking in terms of the 93 ZJ which has an overdrive and associated
>> light. That light will blink out codes from the transmission computer.
>>
>> Do you know what model of transmission you have?
>> It's going to be either a 32RH or AW4
>> http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/32rh.html
>> http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/aw4.html
>>
>> My ZJ has the 42RE, which is different from yours so you may
>> not have the blinky doodad.
>>
>> As for the how-to on adjusting the cable. Sometimes that works and
>> sometimes it doesn't To be safe note where the cable is before you
>> start adjusting.
>>
>> My diagnostics shows only a few things for slip. Bands, low fluid,
>> kickdown cable, and blocked valvebody.
>>
>> My knowledge on transmissions is limited to the basic fluid/filter
>> changes. Never had any of mine apart.
>>
>> --
>> DougW

Damn! How do you get this thing moving from a stop? I have enough trouble
with a 4.0, 3.07 diffs and 235/75x15's (about 29")!

You may not be stresssng the tranny too much, but your toothpick sized
axles in that D35 are way over loaded in torque. Bill Hughes will want a
picture
when they snap <g>.

I thought all the autos came with 3.35, 3.54 or 3.72 ratios and only the
manual trannies got the 3.07. This must be one *******ized YJ - does it
idle at 75 mph?

--
Will Honea >