1999 Grand Caravan Transmission Problem

Old July 17th 04, 02:54 AM
edzome

Default 1999 Grand Caravan Transmission Problem

Does anyone have a clue why my "Check Engine Soon" light came on and now my
transmission won't shift? It jerks like it wants to shift but never does and
the tach just climbs and climbs...no shifting. What a pain. Could it be a
vacuum line or something like that?

It's a 3.3-liter V6...

Anyone?

Thanks!

Old July 17th 04, 07:22 AM
Dan C

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 01:54:28 +0000, edzome wrote:

> Does anyone have a clue why my "Check Engine Soon" light came on and now
> my transmission won't shift?

I'd make a wild guess that something is wrong with your transmission.

> It jerks like it wants to shift but never does and the tach just climbs
> and climbs...no shifting. What a pain.

Yup, sounds like something's wrong with your transmission.

> Could it be a vacuum line or something like that?

Not likely. Have you bothered to check the fluid level in the
transmission? How many miles on it? When was the last time the
fluid/filter were changed?

Linux Registered User #327951

Old July 17th 04, 07:22 AM
Dan C

Old July 18th 04, 10:02 PM
edzome

Gee, thanks...can YOU work on my car? You sound REAL smart...

Thanks!

news

Old July 18th 04, 10:02 PM
edzome

Gee, thanks...can YOU work on my car? You sound REAL smart...

Thanks!

news

Old July 18th 04, 11:13 PM
Dan C

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:02:40 +0000, edzome wrote:

>> Not likely. Have you bothered to check the fluid level in the
>> transmission? How many miles on it? When was the last time the
>> fluid/filter were changed?

> Gee, thanks...can YOU work on my car? You sound REAL smart...

Well, that would probably be better than YOU working on it. How come you
didn't answer my questions (above)? Do you want help, or not?

Linux Registered User #327951

Old July 18th 04, 11:13 PM
Dan C

Old July 18th 04, 11:44 PM
saabturbo

> >> Not likely. Have you bothered to check the fluid level in the
> >> transmission? How many miles on it? When was the last time the
> >> fluid/filter were changed?

> > Gee, thanks...can YOU work on my car? You sound REAL smart...

> Well, that would probably be better than YOU working on it. How come you
> didn't answer my questions (above)? Do you want help, or not?

Just went through a whole transmission deal and let me tell you this - if
you've always put the correct fluid in it and depending on the mileage (what
is your mileage?) I'd standby on the toasted tranny deal. Everyone is awful
quick to say it's a transmission problem on one of these things when in my
experience it is usually a electrical issue. A whole host of things can
make your transmission go into "limp" mode which is what it sounds like.
With the check engine light on my guess is it is something other than the
tranny that is the problem.

Also look for older post titled "93 Caravan Transmission drops out -
electrical" dated June 22, 2004 10:20 PM and replies to that post.

Old July 18th 04, 11:44 PM
saabturbo

Old July 19th 04, 06:11 PM
Zeppo

Yep,
My '98 GC Sport was doing the same thing and it turned out to be the speed
sensor module, a relatively inexpensive thing to repair. Of course, this was
on the 5th replacement transmission.

Jon