Motor question

Old December 21st 04, 03:15 AM
Tcrdn11

Default Motor question

Question for you engine builders.

Bought a buggy that has a type III engine. Really didn't like the motor that
much as the first thing you see is that big fan but I finally got comfortable
with it. Anyway, get it home and it's locked up, hasn't run in 10 years (I
expected that)

So, trying to tear it down, get the head off of one side and the cylinders are
full of dirt, rust, sand, bugs (living and dead) and all sorts of stuff. I've
soaked everything with Liquid Wrench and WD40 hoping I can knock the jugs off
tomorrow. Any suggestions from you experts on anything else I can try to free
these things up?

Also, how do I get the fan off? I've split the housing and it apears I need a
puller and the fan is pressed on? Am I on track?

If the crank is free, as I expect it is, I'm planning to put new cylinders and
pistons on and convert this thing to a type I. Anything I need to be careful of
there? I know I need a generator stand, manifold and different carb. What else?

Thanks,
<><
Tom
Old December 21st 04, 03:56 AM
ThaDriver

Fan is not *pressed* on, just tight like the type 1 pulley; just work it
off.
Of course you'll need all the sheetmetal, & an oil cooler, generator,
pulley (crank), & probbably a different header.
A friend has everything you need (here at my place). If you're lacking
something let me know. I'm above Atlanta & can ship if needed.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Old December 21st 04, 09:34 AM
tricky

Tcrdn11 wrote:

> Question for you engine builders.
>

> So, trying to tear it down, get the head off of one side and the cylinders are
> full of dirt, rust, sand, bugs (living and dead) and all sorts of stuff. I've
> soaked everything with Liquid Wrench and WD40 hoping I can knock the jugs off
> tomorrow. Any suggestions from you experts on anything else I can try to free
> these things up?

If you still cant free the pistons from the cylinders try pouring very
hot engine oil in the cylinders - two at a time.

Take care not to get the oil to ignition temp !

youll have to do two at a time with the engine on its side so the oil
stays where you want it !

Rich
Old December 21st 04, 08:35 PM
Jan Andersson

tricky wrote:

> Tcrdn11 wrote:
>
> > Question for you engine builders.
> >

> > So, trying to tear it down, get the head off of one side and the cylinders are
> > full of dirt, rust, sand, bugs (living and dead) and all sorts of stuff. I've
> > soaked everything with Liquid Wrench and WD40 hoping I can knock the jugs off
> > tomorrow. Any suggestions from you experts on anything else I can try to free
> > these things up?
> >

> If you still cant free the pistons from the cylinders try pouring very
> hot engine oil in the cylinders - two at a time.
>
> Take care not to get the oil to ignition temp !
>
> youll have to do two at a time with the engine on its side so the oil
> stays where you want it !
>
> Rich

I disassembled one such engine not too long ago for the internal parts,
I just cut the top of each cylinder lenghtwise with a cutting disc
attached to a handheld angle grinder thingy. The disc ate through the
cylinder wall and well into the piston too, which didn't matter because
those aren't salvageable anyway. Once I had the cut reaching almost from
teh top of the cylinder to the base where it meets the case, I used a
large flat head screwdriver to pry the cylinder more open from the cut.
The pistons broke loose after that with teh help of a rubber mallet. Try
a big hammer with a bvlock of wood in between to soften the blow. The
pistons can't rust to the cylinder walls, them being aluminum.. it's
just the rings that do. As long as the cylinder is tight around them,
they will be hard to get moving.

Jan
Old December 21st 04, 10:45 PM
Tcrdn11

Thanks guys, a combination of all the suggestions is what is working, slowly
but surely.

I still thing the case and so forth are in decent shape, hope to know in a few
more hours.

Thanks again,
<><
Tom