Searching for recommended ways to restore carpeted floormatts

Old November 6th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Searching for recommended ways to restore carpeted floormatts

My car has close to 200K miles, although I have kept my interior in
great condition.
Even new carpeted floormats however seem tough to keep clean.
I have used pure steam on them with no luck (Euro-Pro EP93 steamer),
and those aerosol cleaner cans with the built in brush don't cut it
either.
Surface dirt rubs off, but a black/grey film remains.
I see the pros using an orbital carpet polisher to clean mats, but I
cant find such
a tool online.
Please share your ideas on keeping floormats clean of dirt buildup and
stains
Thanks

Old November 6th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
John S.

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On 5 Nov 2006 16:25:24 -0800, wrote:
>
> >My car has close to 200K miles, although I have kept my interior in
> >great condition.
> >Even new carpeted floormats however seem tough to keep clean.
> >I have used pure steam on them with no luck (Euro-Pro EP93 steamer),
> > and those aerosol cleaner cans with the built in brush don't cut it
> >either.
> >Surface dirt rubs off, but a black/grey film remains.
> >I see the pros using an orbital carpet polisher to clean mats, but I
> >cant find such
> > a tool online.
> >Please share your ideas on keeping floormats clean of dirt buildup and
> >stains
> >Thanks

> Pure steam won't do much compared to a "steam cleaner" (not really
> steam, just hot water) with cleaning solution added to the hot water.
> Or you can take the mats and lay em on the driveway and sprinkle
> laundry detergent on them and work them over with a brush. Then rinse
> thoroughly.

Carpeted floormats in my experience are all but imposssible to keep
clean looking unless they are a dark brown or charcoal grey. The
stains just gradually build up and wearthrough shows. There are two
solutions I can think of: Use the darkest color floormat you can think
of to minimize the appearance of stains. Or switch to rubber waffle
mats from the car maker. I've gone the rubber mat route for about the
past 10 years.