90 XJ ABS nightmare (long)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 14th 05, 03:35 PM
Dana Rohleder

Default 90 XJ ABS nightmare (long)

For those of you that have run this race before, can you offer any help?

I bought a 90 XJ pretty cheap knowing there was a problem with the ABS
system. Since the vehicle's ABS system still has an active safety recall on
it, I felt I had to take it to the dealership for service. However, because
a fault code points to my controller - $1100 for the part. They say they
need to replace the controller BEFORE they can get into the recall portion
of the repair. The car has 140K on it, so I am over the extended warranty on
the ENTIRE ABS system, but I should be covered on the "lifetime" coverage on
the recall for the actuator assy and the pump/motor assy.

I also had the dealer run up an estimate on converting the vehicle to a
non-ABS power brake system, as had been recommended by others on the list.
Their estimate was $1300 parts/labor.

My questions follow:

1. What is the reliability of the ABS system AFTER the necessary repairs are
done?
2. Is it possible that a malfunctioning actuator/pump/motor components could
have fried the controller, and if so, should/would D-C pay for the
controller as well?
3. If their ABS system on these vehicles is so bad, shouldn't they be
converting all of the malfunctioning systems to non-ABS and paying for that
repair?
4. Is the dealer trying to scare me away from the ABS recall claim by making
me pay for the controller up front - leaving me the option of paying for the
downgrade out-of-pocket - so that D-C doesn't have to pay a cent for the
recall work?
5. Does anyone have a number for a contact at D-C who could help clarify and
sort this situation out?
--
Dana
Port Kent, NY

93 YJ, 90 XJ, (76, 82 & 91 FSJ -deceased)

"It's in our country's interests to find those who would do harm to us and
get them out of harm's way." GW Bush -Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005