97 Civic EX vibration at 70 mph ?

Old August 18th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Rodo

Default 97 Civic EX vibration at 70 mph ?

Hi all,

I had a problem like this a few years ago and I replaced the rotors
(generic) and breakpads (original) and the problem went away. I noticed that
the vibration was showing up again in the last 2 years. I took it to the
dealer and they recommended a break job ($189) and rotor if needed ($60 a
piece). I can do it myself so I did. This time I used everything from
AutoZone. The vibration still there. It starts at about 65mph and it does
not get worst when I brake. It feels on the steering wheel but I noticed
that the passenger sit shakes as well (with no one sitting there)

I noticed the CV Boots were ripped on both sides so I had them fixed at the
dealer yesterday. I was hoping it would take care of the vibration. It
didn't. The guy at the dealer said I needed to use original break pads from
Honda and the rotor needed to be machine even if they were new, on their
"on-wheel" lathe no less because Hondas are very sensitive.

I'd like to know what you guys think. I'm puzzled that the vibration hasn't
change a bit from all the stuff I did. How can the new rotors and pads be
making the same exact vibration is puzzling to me.

I don't care if the guy at the dealer would guarantee getting rid of the
vibration if I let them do the break job but he is not. I had the emission
upgrade done because the engine light went on about a year ago. The engine
light kept on coming on so they told me I needed to adjust the valve timing
($100). When that didn't fix the problem they change the emission computer
(under warranty) and that did get rid of the problem ... but I wonder if I
really needed to do the valve thing. They didn't gave me a refund of course.
I understand that cars are complex machine but I feel the dealer should know
better. I would expect the generic shop down the street to do the "try if it
works approach" but not the dealer.

BTW the car has 85k miles and I'm the original owner. Awesome commuter car
for almost 10 years old. And the overall rating I would give the dealer is
good ... so far. So ....

any clues what could be causing the vibration ?

Thanks

Old August 18th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Rodo" > wrote in news:k%6Fg.66686$u05.56716@trnddc01:

<snip>

> any clues what could be causing the vibration ?

You don't mention the tires. Vibration that is unrelated to the BRAKES
(note spelling) is usually the tires. They are one or more of these: badly
mounted, feathered, cupped, out-of-true or out-of-round.

Is there a steering wheel wobble when you accelerate slowly from extremely
low speeds?

A vibration at the highway speeds you mention that happens ONLY upon
acceleration can be worn inner CV joints. Severely worn OUTER joints can
also cause this symptom, but such joints would emit a heavy clunkclunkclunk
as you rounded corners.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old August 18th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in
:

> "Rodo" > wrote in
>

> <snip>
>

>> any clues what could be causing the vibration ?

> You don't mention the tires. Vibration that is unrelated to the BRAKES
> (note spelling) is usually the tires. They are one or more of these:
> badly mounted, feathered, cupped, out-of-true or out-of-round.

Or simply out-of-balance! Or one tire has a hard spot in it.

That no one has tried the tires yet makes me wonder about the nature of the
vibration. Are all your mechanics just dense, or is there something we
haven't been told yet?

Old August 18th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Rodo

The tires were rotated and balanced by Just Tires about two weeks earlier.
After it was done the vibration started at a lower speed (65mph) before that
the vibration started at about 80-85mph. I don't drive at 80-85mph too often
so it didn't bother me earlier but now I hit 65mph quite often. I like to
stay within the California speed limit as much as possible :-).

Thanks

Old August 18th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
swllz

One of your alloy wheel may be bent. That happened to my 96 Accord.

Old August 19th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Rodo" > wrote in news:E_aFg.70657$zc2.14785@trnddc06:

> The tires were rotated and balanced by Just Tires about two weeks
> earlier. After it was done the vibration started at a lower speed
> (65mph) before that the vibration started at about 80-85mph.

Then the tire place messed up (so what else is new).

It's very easy to mount tires properly, but it does require a modicum of
intelligence on the part of the monkeys that work for the tire place. But
considering the wages tire simians get paid, and the (low) prices you get
charged, the probability that your tires were mounted properly is nearly
zero. Sad to say.

Not all non-human primates reside in zoos. Some are denizened in tire
shops.

Old August 25th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Rodo

Well... unfortunately for them you were right. They put 35 psi in the tires
(30 psi normal) and they messed up on the balance as well. So they balanced
them again and the problem went back to what it used to be (85 mph). But it
looks like the new rotors and pad are beginning to "set-in" because the
vibration is almost gone now after a week.

This guy I took the car to had one look at the tires and he said they were
over inflated. He said to go back to just tires and have them check the
balance again. So I did. The guys at Just tires didn't blink to do it again
(no change of course) So everything is fine now.

I still can not believe the dealer was blaming the Autozone rotors and break
pad !

Thanks to all for the help.