325 convertible MPG

Old June 12th 05, 02:55 PM
Somebody

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> Well, just for fun try using any number other than 30 lb; it won't work.
> Or, put another way, the pig has to weigh 60 lb for the statement to be
> true.
>
> DAS
>
> For direct contact replace nospam with schmetterling
> ---
>
> "+ Rob +" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> [...]
> >>
> >> ummm. 60 lbs. what did I win?

> > The statement does not establish that 30lbs is half of the pig's
> > weight.

Let P equal the pig's weight. The statement can be expressed then as:

P = 30 + .5P

subtract .5P from both sides

..5P = 30

multiply both sides by 2

P = 60

Therefore the pig weighs 60 pounds.

-Russ.

Old June 12th 05, 03:51 PM
Psycho

I didn't get the first part of this but given the equation " A pig
weighs 30lb plus half its weight. How much does the pig weigh?", 60
is the only possible answer as stated below.

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:55:13 -0400, "Somebody"

Old June 12th 05, 06:48 PM
Spack

"Psycho" > wrote in message
> I didn't get the first part of this but given the equation " A pig
> weighs 30lb plus half its weight. How much does the pig weigh?", 60
> is the only possible answer as stated below.

Mathematically correct.

But how about "he weighs nothing because his little hoofs don't have
opposable thumbs and he can't lift anything on to the scales"? ;P

Dan

Old June 12th 05, 11:59 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

All right then: GROOOAAAAAAAAANNN.

Happy?

DAS

---

[...]

Old June 13th 05, 01:59 PM
Somebody

"Spack" > wrote in message

> "Psycho" > wrote in message
> > I didn't get the first part of this but given the equation " A pig
> > weighs 30lb plus half its weight. How much does the pig weigh?", 60
> > is the only possible answer as stated below.

> Mathematically correct.
>
> But how about "he weighs nothing because his little hoofs don't have
> opposable thumbs and he can't lift anything on to the scales"? ;P
>
> Dan

He would weigh less on the moon too. So?

-Russ.

Old June 13th 05, 08:08 PM
Jeff Strickland

My '94 325i gives a combined - long term - mileage of 24.5 mpg. When driving
on the freeeway at 80+, I get about 27.7 over my 40 mile commute. If I get
stuck in traffic for a very long time on the way to work, then the number
drops rapidly.

My car has the OBC (On Board Computer) with lots of buttons. One of the
buttons is labeled CONSUM. When I press it, the OBC displays CONSUM1, and
when I press it again, it reads CONSUM2. I reset CONSUM1 everytime I fill
the tank (everytime I get gas, I fill the tank) and the reading is usually a
bit above 24.5. CONSUM2 is never reset, so it gives a reading over a very
long time. (CONSUM1 & CONSUM2 can each be reset, but I do not reset CONSUM2
as a matter of practice.)

I assume I could slow down to the maximum legal speed limit in my state, and
improve my fuel mileage as a result, but what's the fun in doing that?

Old June 14th 05, 09:13 AM
Spack

Somebody wrote on Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:59:41 -0400:

> "Spack" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Psycho" > wrote in message
>>> I didn't get the first part of this but given the equation " A pig
>>> weighs 30lb plus half its weight. How much does the pig weigh?", 60
>>> is the only possible answer as stated below.

>> Mathematically correct.
>>
>> But how about "he weighs nothing because his little hoofs don't have
>> opposable thumbs and he can't lift anything on to the scales"? ;P
>>
>> Dan

> He would weigh less on the moon too. So?

But his mass would be the same.

Dan

Old June 14th 05, 10:26 AM
Dori A Schmetterling

What? Less than nothing?

DAS

---

[...]

Old June 14th 05, 03:06 PM
Malt_Hound

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> My '94 325i gives a combined - long term - mileage of 24.5 mpg. When driving
> on the freeeway at 80+, I get about 27.7 over my 40 mile commute. If I get
> stuck in traffic for a very long time on the way to work, then the number
> drops rapidly.
>
> My car has the OBC (On Board Computer) with lots of buttons. One of the
> buttons is labeled CONSUM. When I press it, the OBC displays CONSUM1, and
> when I press it again, it reads CONSUM2. I reset CONSUM1 everytime I fill
> the tank (everytime I get gas, I fill the tank) and the reading is usually a
> bit above 24.5. CONSUM2 is never reset, so it gives a reading over a very
> long time. (CONSUM1 & CONSUM2 can each be reset, but I do not reset CONSUM2
> as a matter of practice.)
>
> I assume I could slow down to the maximum legal speed limit in my state, and
> improve my fuel mileage as a result, but what's the fun in doing that?

Point of interest is that my lock-stock '94 540iA also has the avg. MPG
feature in its OBC and I get almost the same mileage. Actually, I tend
to average 23.8-24.2 mpg in mixed driving, but it does not get much
better on the highway. Not bad for a 286HP / 295 ft. lbs beast with a
slush box... ;-)

-Fred W
Old July 9th 05, 02:23 PM
Malt_Hound