Now This Is Just Plain Stupid

Old May 29th 05, 08:15 PM
C.H.

Default Now This Is Just Plain Stupid

On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:56:39 -0700, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> Way to go, California Legislature. It's ILLEGAL for these assholes to
> modify their exhaust systems - if they want to save their hearing, then
> they need to obey the ****ing law. Passing laws that make it easier for
> these pricks to break other laws is counterproductive, to say the least.

Have you ever ridden a normal motorcycle with legal exhaust? The exhaust
is not the problem, the wind noise on the helmet is. I doubt that many of
the 'I am such a hardass' straight-pipe-Harley riders wear ear protection,
judging by the number of them that doesn't even wear head protection.

Most riders around here wear earplugs, simply because they do a good job
filtering the distracting, tiring and damaging hissing wind noise on the
helmet and making hearing the important things, like sirens from emergency
vehicle, that are usually masked by the wind noise, much easier.

But of course it is easier to pass judgement on something one doesn't
understand instead of researching something first...

Chris
Old May 29th 05, 09:52 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"C.H." > wrote in message
news
> But of course it is easier to pass judgement on something one doesn't
> understand instead of researching something first...
>
> Chris

Would you deprive us of Scott's daily rants (against people who drive just
like him)?

Old May 29th 05, 10:54 PM
L Sternn

On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:56:39 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>Way to go, California Legislature. It's ILLEGAL for these assholes to
>modify their exhaust systems - if they want to save their hearing,
>then they need to obey the ****ing law. Passing laws that make it
>easier for these pricks to break other laws is counterproductive, to
>say the least.
>
>To every legislator who voted in favor of this law: may a thousand
>Harleys with straight pipes ride through your neighborhood all night,
>every night, wearing their earplugs.
>
>--

here, here - those ****ing assholes shoud be shot on sight. Okay,
maybe that's a bit extreme, but they should be required to conform to
certain noise ordincances.

Loud pipes DO NOT save lives - they merely **** people off and
actually result in more lost lives.

Old May 30th 05, 04:32 AM
JohnH

> I've never ridden a motorcycle,

Yes, please do ask someone with a clue before you post next time.

Old May 30th 05, 04:36 AM
C.H.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:33:34 -0700, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> On Sun, 29 May 2005 12:15:27 -0700, "C.H." > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:56:39 -0700, Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>>
>>> Way to go, California Legislature. It's ILLEGAL for these assholes to
>>> modify their exhaust systems - if they want to save their hearing, then
>>> they need to obey the ****ing law. Passing laws that make it easier for
>>> these pricks to break other laws is counterproductive, to say the
>>> least.

>>Have you ever ridden a normal motorcycle with legal exhaust? The exhaust
>>is not the problem, the wind noise on the helmet is.

> I've never ridden a motorcycle, but I know several people who have. None
> of them every mentioned wearing earplugs.

I am sure that they are wearing earplugs - at least if they are smart.
Few motorcyclists (except for the hardasses mentioned above) think turning
deaf in your 40s is funny.

> I'll be sure to ask next time I talk to them.

Please report back, chances are they are wearing earplugs. I don't tell
every friend I wear earplugs either, but I still do. And not only because
I am scared of going deaf, but also because I don't want to chance not
hearing a siren or even horn in time.

Chris
Old May 30th 05, 04:36 AM
C.H.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:52:05 +0000, Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

> "C.H." > wrote in message
> news
>> But of course it is easier to pass judgement on something one doesn't
>> understand instead of researching something first...
>>

> Would you deprive us of Scott's daily rants (against people who drive just
> like him)?

Nah

Chris
Old May 30th 05, 05:37 AM
wtrplnet

> here, here - those ****ing assholes shoud be shot on sight. Okay,
> maybe that's a bit extreme, but they should be required to conform to
> certain noise ordincances.
>
> Loud pipes DO NOT save lives - they merely **** people off and
> actually result in more lost lives.

I hate those weekend warriors. When one of them goes by at full throtle
blasting 120 decibel blatts all I can think is they're saying to themselves
"Look at me, I'm an ASSHOLE!" The upside is most of them will end up as
grease spots against a concrete wall or better yet some equally offensive
SUV.

Old May 30th 05, 06:14 AM
Paul

On Sun, 29 May 2005 21:37:38 -0700, , said the following in
rec.autos.driving...

> > here, here - those ****ing assholes shoud be shot on sight. Okay,
> > maybe that's a bit extreme, but they should be required to conform to
> > certain noise ordincances.
> >
> > Loud pipes DO NOT save lives - they merely **** people off and
> > actually result in more lost lives.

> I hate those weekend warriors. When one of them goes by at full throtle
> blasting 120 decibel blatts all I can think is they're saying to themselves
> "Look at me, I'm an ASSHOLE!"

Same as those pricks with the fart can mufflers and the morons with the
sub-woofers that make the body panels of the car rattle. They *think*
they are cool, but in reality, they look (and sound) like f*cking idiots
and annoy the hell out of everyone else.

> The upside is most of them will end up as
> grease spots against a concrete wall or better yet some equally offensive
> SUV.

Sadly, a ricer or a "Pimp 'Nigilac," as some call them here can't get to
the appropriate speed to become a grease spot on a wall...
Old May 31st 05, 01:24 AM
The Real Bev

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote:

> On Sun, 29 May 2005 12:15:27 -0700, "C.H." >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:56:39 -0700, Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> >
> >> Way to go, California Legislature. It's ILLEGAL for these assholes to
> >> modify their exhaust systems - if they want to save their hearing, then
> >> they need to obey the ****ing law. Passing laws that make it easier for
> >> these pricks to break other laws is counterproductive, to say the least.

I would guess that hog-riders with loud exhausts are not the target of this
law.

> >Have you ever ridden a normal motorcycle with legal exhaust? The exhaust
> >is not the problem, the wind noise on the helmet is.

> I've never ridden a motorcycle, but I know several people who have.
> None of them every mentioned wearing earplugs.

Wind noise is even a problem on a bicycle at about 30 mph. I don't know if
it's the wind whistling by my ears or the wind whistling through the holes in
my helmet (I always wear a bike helmet and I always wore a MC helmet), but
it's pretty damn loud.

When I was riding my street motorcycle it got a whole lot quieter when I got a
full-face helmet with close-fitting padding, and I had nice legal Suzuki GS550
mufflers. It actually never occurred to me to wear earplugs because I want to
hear as much outside noise as I can. I hate driving a car when I can't keep
the driver's window open a smidge.

> I'll be sure to ask next time I talk to them.

--
Cheers, Bev
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
Old May 31st 05, 01:26 AM
The Real Bev

wtrplnet wrote:

> > here, here - those ****ing assholes shoud be shot on sight. Okay,
> > maybe that's a bit extreme, but they should be required to conform to
> > certain noise ordincances.
> >
> > Loud pipes DO NOT save lives - they merely **** people off and
> > actually result in more lost lives.

> I hate those weekend warriors. When one of them goes by at full throtle
> blasting 120 decibel blatts all I can think is they're saying to themselves
> "Look at me, I'm an ASSHOLE!" The upside is most of them will end up as
> grease spots against a concrete wall or better yet some equally offensive
> SUV.

A member of a group of hog-riders lives on the next street over. Six of them
sounds like WAY more than six, and I really LIKE the sound. You guys are just
a mess of wimps.

--
Cheers, Bev