XDrive on '05 325xi?

Old February 4th 05, 09:32 PM
daytripper

On 4 Feb 2005 07:10:12 -0500, Bob > wrote:

>Seems kinda strange that both salesperson and service guy would tell me
>2005 325xi and X3/X5 AWD was the same... Makes me wonder what else they
>said wasn't true...

Everything you heard when his mouth was moving ;-)
Old February 5th 05, 12:01 AM
The Malt Hound

"daytripper" > wrote in message
> On 4 Feb 2005 07:10:12 -0500, Bob > wrote:
>
>>Seems kinda strange that both salesperson and service guy would tell
>>me
>>2005 325xi and X3/X5 AWD was the same... Makes me wonder what else
>>they
>>said wasn't true...

> Everything you heard when his mouth was moving ;-)

From his mouth to your ears. ;-)

--Fred W

Old February 5th 05, 02:23 PM
Bob

Thanks again...

So is the 325xi worth the money? Not a trivial purchase for me and I'm
having a hard time deciding... I've read just about everything I could
find on the 325 which seems to suggest it is. But just when I convince
myself the car is fairly priced for what you get I pick up the paper and
see $19k AWD Subaru or Suzuki ads. One big concern is cost of ownership
after the 4/50 warranty period.

Bob

"fbloogyudsr" > wrote in
:

Old February 5th 05, 05:00 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Bob" > wrote
> So is the 325xi worth the money? Not a trivial purchase for me and I'm
> having a hard time deciding... I've read just about everything I could
> find on the 325 which seems to suggest it is. But just when I convince
> myself the car is fairly priced for what you get I pick up the paper and
> see $19k AWD Subaru or Suzuki ads. One big concern is cost of ownership
> after the 4/50 warranty period.

Well, *I* think they're worth it; so do almost all other BMW owners. But
I've owned them since '78, so you have to take that into account. My
experience on maintenance costs is fairly typical, I believe; anything
that will go wrong goes wrong in the first couple of years. It's well
worth it to join BMWCCA and find the local independent garages; they're
substantially less expensive than the dealer, and in general won't try
to sell you service you don't need.

The one thing to keep in mind is that they are cars, just like any
other brand; they won't be perfect, they will have problems. But I
don't think they're any more expensive than any other car to maintain.
And they age much more gracefully than most other cars. A Subaru
WRX is a really good buy, though, for similar or better performance.

Doesn't the Passat come with Synchro AWD?

Floyd
Old February 5th 05, 05:31 PM
dizzy

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:32:21 -0500, daytripper
> wrote:

>On 4 Feb 2005 07:10:12 -0500, Bob > wrote:
>
>>Seems kinda strange that both salesperson and service guy would tell me
>>2005 325xi and X3/X5 AWD was the same... Makes me wonder what else they
>>said wasn't true...

>Everything you heard when his mouth was moving ;-)

Heh. I can seem quite aloof to the average car salesman, but I can't
help feeling annoyed, while examine the car, that I invariably know
more about it than he does.

Then there's the inevitable jackass questions: "What are you driving
today"? "What do you do for a living?" Umm... What the HELL does
any of that have to do with this car that I'm thinking about driving?
Do you think we might talk about the CAR?

Old February 6th 05, 02:48 PM
Somebody

"dizzy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:32:21 -0500, daytripper
> > wrote:
>
> >On 4 Feb 2005 07:10:12 -0500, Bob > wrote:
> >
> >>Seems kinda strange that both salesperson and service guy would tell me
> >>2005 325xi and X3/X5 AWD was the same... Makes me wonder what else they
> >>said wasn't true...

> >Everything you heard when his mouth was moving ;-)

> Heh. I can seem quite aloof to the average car salesman, but I can't
> help feeling annoyed, while examine the car, that I invariably know
> more about it than he does.
>
> Then there's the inevitable jackass questions: "What are you driving
> today"? "What do you do for a living?" Umm... What the HELL does
> any of that have to do with this car that I'm thinking about driving?
> Do you think we might talk about the CAR?

Not do ignore your point, there are ulterior motives for both those
questions. But the legitimate content is there too. Examples:

What you are driving today tells him
a) your frame of reference in evaluating a car
b) what you may or may not like in a car since you picked this other car
previously
c) what particular things about this car that he can show you to contrast
from your current car and influence your buying decision.
d) some things that he can point out about your previous car that you might
not like to draw out a discussion that helps him meet your previously unmet
needs.

What you do for a living tells him
e) some of the potential uses the car will be put to
f) what sort of diving habits your job might require of you
g) if you have special domain knowledge about cars due to your job
h) how a car may relate to your visibility or social status in the
community or at your workplace
i) how the experience of other existing customers is, that do the same job
and have selected his products in the past.

It also helps build rapport with a potential customer to understand what he
does for a living, what he does for fun, and what his family status is, so
that you can speak to him on his terms or at least be interested in him and
begin to learn what sorts of things might be important to him, so that the
dealer can figure out if he is able to provide you with a product that helps
meet those needs.

Or, you could just consider him a jackass and move on to someone that cares
nothing about you, and just talks about the car.

-Russ.

Old February 6th 05, 04:09 PM
330xi

to respond to BOB's question, no vehicle on the market gives 100% drive
force to one wheel.

on xdrive, it is infinitly variable front to back so it has the possibility
of being 100% at either end.
when you do not have traction on three wheels and grip on one then you have
50% available at that corner.

on the 3 series xi, when you have grip at only one front corner you have 50%
of the 38% total available power
and when you have grip at only one rear corner you have 50% on 62% total
available power

it was designed this way to offer the best rear wheel handling feel and
avoid torque steer.
most competitors mechanical systems are front wheel drive until extra
traction is deemed necessary.

this is why they do not handle like a BMW
although xdrive would be a better all round traction and safety system, the
3 series was design with
the aggressive driver in mind.

i can still fling it around in bad weather like my previous BMW's but the
add traction is phenominal.

. 14...

Old February 7th 05, 01:13 PM
Harri Holopainen

Bob > wrote:
>Floyd,
>
>Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it. I'll see what I can
>find in Car & Driver.
>
>In the meantime let me run this by you... The whole idea behind my
>interest in a 325xi is as a safe replacement for my wife's FWD Passat
>equipped with Michelin Alpins during the winter. We both really like the
>VW 90% of the time but I'd like something a little better for her during
>some of our pretty bad driving days here in Upstate NY.
>
>How will the BMW 38/62 AWD system with manual transmission compare to FWD
>in real world use? The 325xi I'm looking at comes with Pirelli P6's, will

it will blow any FWD (and RWD) away on snow, like any full-time
AWD. the difference is incredible. it makes the snow "go away" -
acceleration is almost like in summer. no matter how you push the
pedal the steering and handling will stay neutral.

this is also the biggest potential problem: braking is not more
efficent, it's easy to get too comfortable to drive fast on bad
weather and if you're going too fast into a corner you'll hit the
woods regardless of AWD, DSC or other acronyms.

>I need to replace them with "winter" tires for snow & ice?

yes. proper winter tires such as Nokian Hakka's, and not one of those
M+S things.

>(BTW, isn't the DSC system "defeatable" via a dash switch which would
>allow full power to any wheel?)

as far as I know, yes.

--
harri
525ixT -95

:

Old February 7th 05, 01:27 PM
Harri Holopainen

Bob > wrote:
>Thanks again...
>
>So is the 325xi worth the money? Not a trivial purchase for me and I'm
>having a hard time deciding... I've read just about everything I could
>find on the 325 which seems to suggest it is. But just when I convince
>myself the car is fairly priced for what you get I pick up the paper and
>see $19k AWD Subaru or Suzuki ads. One big concern is cost of ownership

Subaru is one of the very few manufacturers who have an excellent
full-time 4WD (AWD) system. Most Audis still have the Torsen, which is
excellent too, but many of the other VAG offerings (and Volvo) have
the Haldex which is *not* full-time AWD (it only delivers torque if
the wheels slip). BMW of course has a real AWD system, although the
new systems no longer have any differential locks. Don't know about
Suzuki, but I'd think they don't really have AWD, but rather something
that only switches on when the front wheels slip. That can be nice
too, but AWD is much better IMO (it works all the time).

The dealers and marketers of course obfuscate this the best they can,
Honda talks about 'real-time 4WD' (another non-AWD). Some Haldex
systems distribute 1-2% of the torque to rear wheels all the time,
which of course mean that they are full-time 4WD, but in practice they
are FWD cars until the a front wheel loses the grip. VW rants about
saving fuel because the AWD isn't used 99% of the time. Which is
silly, since the rear wheels and axles still use gas to rotate. The
only real saving is that the transmission system on a non-AWD car can
be made much weaker since it's practically never used Some of the
small economy SUVs have a rear wheel transmission shaft which are
about as thick as a finger.

If the decision is between Subaru and BMW, the deciding factor isn't
the AWD system. Both are excellent and durable.

--
harri
525ixT -95

:

Old February 7th 05, 02:53 PM
Bob

"fbloogyudsr" > wrote in
:

> "Bob" > wrote
>> So is the 325xi worth the money? Not a trivial purchase for me and
>> I'm having a hard time deciding... I've read just about everything I
>> could find on the 325 which seems to suggest it is. But just when I
>> convince myself the car is fairly priced for what you get I pick up
>> the paper and see $19k AWD Subaru or Suzuki ads. One big concern is
>> cost of ownership after the 4/50 warranty period.

> Well, *I* think they're worth it; so do almost all other BMW owners.
> But I've owned them since '78, so you have to take that into account.
> My experience on maintenance costs is fairly typical, I believe;
> anything that will go wrong goes wrong in the first couple of years.
> It's well worth it to join BMWCCA and find the local independent
> garages; they're substantially less expensive than the dealer, and in
> general won't try to sell you service you don't need.
>
> The one thing to keep in mind is that they are cars, just like any
> other brand; they won't be perfect, they will have problems. But I
> don't think they're any more expensive than any other car to maintain.
> And they age much more gracefully than most other cars. A Subaru
> WRX is a really good buy, though, for similar or better performance.
>
> Doesn't the Passat come with Synchro AWD?
>
> Floyd

The VW Passat does come with a "4Motion" AWD option which I understand to
be similar, if not identical, to Audi Quattro. And I did consider another
Passat but given the fact that VW is changing 2006 model year style two
different dealers in my area tell me that finding a 2005 v6 "4Motion" in
a color I like would be almost impossible. Also pricing, MSRP at least,
would be very close to a 325xi.

bmw 325xi Marco D'Intino BMW 0 December 27th 04 12:23 AM
2005 325xi Maintenance Costs? Bob BMW 8 December 13th 04 02:54 AM
2004 325XI oil light yellow when ignition turns off Frank_Del BMW 8 November 19th 04 01:51 AM
WTB and Info needed: Parts for a 1991 BMW 325Xi VSAndrew BMW 1 September 29th 04 05:42 AM