'93Explorer Sport

Old February 25th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default '93Explorer Sport

I need the electrical schematic to the AM/FM/cassette player

Old February 26th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"garpo" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> I need the electrical schematic to the AM/FM/cassette player

Did you take it out yet? If a wiring diagram is what you mean then it's (or
was) attached to one of the connectors on the back of the unit. At least it
was on my '91 and '92.

Old February 26th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Thanx for the reply. I have removed the old unit to replace with an
inexpensive AM/FM/CD player. I also purchased the connector accessories
that would generically do Fords to this player. The problem I'm
encountering is the stereo, front and back, speaker wires connector does
not match the connector of the Explorer. I am butt splicing the wires, but
the colored leads do not match the pairs coming off the accessories
connector. There is a green. brown, yellow, purple, two blues, a
white/red, and a white/orange. I've tried to guess what would match the
designated pairs of the accessories connector. I did not see a diagram on
the cexisting connectors. I suppose I will need to find a wiring diagram
in a repair manual. But I was hoping to hear from someone that has had
asimilar situation.

Old February 26th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Do you have the radio with the "flipper" volume control? If so I
don't think you can just put the other radio in and connect it to the
"speaker" wires because they go to an amp, not directly to the
speakers.

Old February 26th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Thanx for the reply. The player is the High-Level Audio System which is
described in the vehicle's Electronic Sound Systems operating guide. It
was a great system but was damaged before I had bought the vehicle at
160000 miles. Yes, it has amps. The brochure says; "Your FORD JBL Audio
System consists of Nine speakers, two each in the front doors and the rear
doors or side panels (powered by a 60-watt, 4-channel amplifier), and a
subwoofer speaker for superior bass performanc, located in the rear right
hand quarter trim panel (powered by its own 85-watt amplifier)."
Your question matched my suspicion that the wiring is going to the
amps also. It would be wonderful to replace this with the same OEM system
and get on with life, however, I reverted to the SOS thinking that I could
save time and money by throwing in the cheap system.
I'm looking for the easy solution here. Thanx for any suggestions.

Old February 26th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"garpo" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Thanx for the reply. I have removed the old unit to replace with an
> inexpensive AM/FM/CD player. I also purchased the connector accessories
> that would generically do Fords to this player. The problem I'm
> encountering is the stereo, front and back, speaker wires connector does
> not match the connector of the Explorer. I am butt splicing the wires, but
> the colored leads do not match the pairs coming off the accessories
> connector. There is a green. brown, yellow, purple, two blues, a
> white/red, and a white/orange. I've tried to guess what would match the
> designated pairs of the accessories connector. I did not see a diagram on
> the cexisting connectors. I suppose I will need to find a wiring diagram
> in a repair manual. But I was hoping to hear from someone that has had
> asimilar situation.

I posted my experience with replacing an Explorer stereo recently. It
included the brands of wiring adapters. Go to google.com/groups and search
for: "explorer stereo wiring adapter" and you should find: "radio for '91
Eddie Bauer "

Once you have the wiring adapter and the release tool it's all pretty
easy (expect for getting the buttons out of the rear panel to access the
amp).

Old February 27th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Thanx Ulysses, your post was right on about what I've been fighting on this
"simple" switch on stereo systems. Like you, I am trying to put in an
inexpensive replacement in my wife's Explorer that I bought last summer
for $1500. She is tone deaf,(I have construction ears),and the vehicle is
a worn out SUV that just needs to get around town and a few more miles
until I win the Lotto and buy her something new. Can anyone relate?
So, I went to the first site you recommended and it said it did not
have what I was looking for. The second site does have something for $40
which I am reluctant to get considering I splurged $50 on the player,(yea
its a Durabrand from the great satan Walmart) and I already have half of
the adapter kit from Walmart hooked in. The picture of the Scoshe adapter
didn't show the wiring colors that I'm getting out of the dash. Reading
your past post I know I need to get to the amp in the back and I am sure
it's going to be the PITA. It would be great to find the same player as
OEM in reliable condition but that is a gamble and expense. I think I
might talk to a tech at the second site you mentioned and verify that
adapter would work. Thanx again, you sound like someone that has wrenched
on your Explorer a bit and might have suggestions on more if I start
going more into this vehicle. I daydream of making this unit my wife's
Mrs. Rose offroad toy with the lift kit and big tires, etc. but that's a
few priorities down the list. For now it was suppose to be a simple stereo
install.

Old February 27th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 14:21:50 -0500, "garpo" > wrote:

>Thanx for the reply. The player is the High-Level Audio System which is
>described in the vehicle's Electronic Sound Systems operating guide. It
>was a great system but was damaged before I had bought the vehicle at
>160000 miles. Yes, it has amps. The brochure says; "Your FORD JBL Audio
>System consists of Nine speakers, two each in the front doors and the rear
>doors or side panels (powered by a 60-watt, 4-channel amplifier), and a
>subwoofer speaker for superior bass performanc, located in the rear right
>hand quarter trim panel (powered by its own 85-watt amplifier)."
> Your question matched my suspicion that the wiring is going to the
>amps also. It would be wonderful to replace this with the same OEM system
>and get on with life, however, I reverted to the SOS thinking that I could
>save time and money by throwing in the cheap system.
> I'm looking for the easy solution here. Thanx for any suggestions.

I'm not sure about the JBL system but my son's 92 had the midlevel
ford system with an amp but no subwoofer. There is a line level
adapter you can buy that lets you drop the radio speaker output down
to a "line level" (much lower powered) to go to the amp input. That's
what we used when we put an aftermarket radio in his. It worked ok
but it didn't have as much speaker power as it should have, apparently
it dropped the level a little too low. But it will prevent you from
blowing out the amp input. Unless the amp is already fried and that's
the problem. What some people do is just forget the existing wires
and run new speaker wires from the speakers to the new radio. Others
have said they uncovered the amp in the back and hooked to that set of
speaker wires and took the amp out of the circuit. That would be the
way it would do it if I wanted it to really work right with the least
amount of work. If you do keep the amp, assuming it still works. also
keep in mind that the factory radio has an "amp turn on" wire that
powers up the amp when the radio is turned on. Most aftermarket
radios have a wire that's for an electric antenna to make it go up. U
can use that as the power for the amp. Of course you have to figure
out which one of the factory wires is the right one.

If you want more info send an email to me at borgteam....
at...yahoo.com . I might be able to get you some other info.
Old February 27th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"garpo" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Thanx Ulysses, your post was right on about what I've been fighting on

this
> "simple" switch on stereo systems. Like you, I am trying to put in an
> inexpensive replacement in my wife's Explorer that I bought last summer
> for $1500. She is tone deaf,(I have construction ears),and the vehicle is
> a worn out SUV that just needs to get around town and a few more miles
> until I win the Lotto and buy her something new. Can anyone relate?
> So, I went to the first site you recommended and it said it did not
> have what I was looking for. The second site does have something for $40
> which I am reluctant to get considering I splurged $50 on the player,(yea
> its a Durabrand from the great satan Walmart) and I already have half of
> the adapter kit from Walmart hooked in. The picture of the Scoshe adapter
> didn't show the wiring colors that I'm getting out of the dash. Reading
> your past post I know I need to get to the amp in the back and I am sure
> it's going to be the PITA. It would be great to find the same player as
> OEM in reliable condition but that is a gamble and expense. I think I
> might talk to a tech at the second site you mentioned and verify that
> adapter would work. Thanx again, you sound like someone that has wrenched
> on your Explorer a bit and might have suggestions on more if I start
> going more into this vehicle.

I'm no auto mechanic but with the help I get from this newsgroup I've
managed to keep two Explorers in good operating condition. Before I got my
first Explorer about all I knew how to do was change spark plugs, adjust
valves, and replace a starter or alternator etc. Now I tackle more
sophisticated stuff but since it would cost more to get it repaired
professionally than the truck is worth I figure if I screw something up
really bad I don't have much to lose. I just don't start working on it
until I'm pretty sure I have all the information I need. So far so good.

I daydream of making this unit my wife's
> Mrs. Rose offroad toy with the lift kit and big tires, etc. but that's a
> few priorities down the list. For now it was suppose to be a simple stereo
> install.

I seem to recall the wiring adapter being around $12 or $13. They seem to
sell them at many auto parts stores but don't always have the correct one in
stock.

The speaker wires on the adapter all matched correctly with the adapter as
far as the colors and polarity. In order to look at the power etc wires I
would have to pull out the stereo again (I guess I should have written it
down). Basically there were 3 or 4 wires that needed to be dealt with: Red
for power, Black for ground, and another one for the radio memory which is
usually Yellow but may have been different on the Ford. Then there are more
for the power antenna and such. The amp harness simply bypasses the amp so
it is no longer being used. Please don't use this info for the wire colors
as the Gospel Truth as I am going by memory here. If you have a voltmeter
it should be easy to find the ground and power wires.

It's funny but I was also thinking of making my wife's Explorer into an
offroad chick car (it's Wild Strawberry in color). I have two teenage
daughters who might think it's fun and it may even make it more capable of
transversing the dirt roads here when it's raining. So far it has always
made it in it's stock condition, but at least one of my daughters would
probably enjoy intimidating some of the boys ;-)

Old February 28th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Here's what I did to replace the stereo in my '93 Sport:

Followed instructions he
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...aNavajoStr.htm
I needed a little adapter to match the original cable to the new connector
on the player.

Don't forget to bypass the amplifier hidden inside the right rear wheel
well. This was the tricky part. It didn't work until I bypassed the amp. I
didn't take off the seat-belt bolt (huge torx bolt mounted high). I was able
to pry the plastic fender back far enough to reach in and mate the bypass.
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...joAmpBPass.htm

I put in a $100 Pioneer radio/mp3 disk player. It works and sounds great.

SD