Deceptive Car Names Investigated

Old January 1st 11, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
sctvguy1[_2_]

Default Deceptive Car Names Investigated

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 16:19:00 -0400, Wes wrote:

> Like "Land Cruiser", "Pickup Truck" and "Toyota Van"? I guess the really
> creative guys were off sick when they brain stormed those deeply
> meaningful monikers.... :-)

Land Cruiser was an old Studebaker name.
Old January 1st 11, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
edward ohare

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 15:42:51 GMT, sctvguy1 >
wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 16:19:00 -0400, Wes wrote:
>

>> Like "Land Cruiser", "Pickup Truck" and "Toyota Van"? I guess the really
>> creative guys were off sick when they brain stormed those deeply
>> meaningful monikers.... :-)

>Land Cruiser was an old Studebaker name.

Wow. So Toyota grabbed the name from the automotive name junkpile.
Old January 1st 11, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
edward ohare

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 16:19:00 -0400, Wes
> wrote:

>On 31/12/2010 4:00 PM, GM homepc wrote:
>>> Corolla is the name given to the blossom of a flower. Tercel is a
>>> small hawk.

>> prius - Latin, meaning: before, formerely.
>>
>> The name "Camry" is an Anglicized
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglicisation> phonetic transcription of
>> the Japanese word /kanmuri/ (?, ????), meaning crown
>>
>> Celica is ultimately derived from the Latin word coelica meaning
>> "heavenly" or "celestial"
>>

>> You have to admit, Toyota is very creative when it comes to naming their
>> cars.
>>

>Like "Land Cruiser", "Pickup Truck" and "Toyota Van"? I guess the really
>creative guys were off sick when they brain stormed those deeply
>meaningful monikers.... :-)

Yea, apparently the real thoughtful guys were working at Isuzu. They
came up with P'up.
Old January 1st 11, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Pete E. Kruzer[_2_]

My FORMER PT Cruiser had a terrible name! If there was any car that
SHOULD have Cruise Control as standard equipment should be this one.
Mine did not have it!
Old January 1st 11, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 12:10:11 -0600, GM homepc wrote:

> On 12/30/2010 6:22 PM, Comments4u wrote:
>> Toyota uses seeming concocted and meaningless names such as Camry,
>> Celica, Corolla, and Prius. But unknown to most, those words have
>> meanings in other languages. Camry, in Talagog, means "runaway car" and
>> Celica, in Swahili, means "wadded up floor mat jams accellerator".

> Corolla is the name given to the blossom of a flower. Tercel is a small
> hawk.

Corona is the ring around the sun during an eclipse, and is also part of
a flower. The name "Camry" is an Anglicized phonetic transcription of the
Japanese word kanmuri (*, かんむり), meaning "crown"

They also have the Crown, and, my favorite, the Crown Royal.
Celica is ultimately derived from the Latin word coelica meaning
"heavenly" or "celestial".

Carina is a constellation in the southern sky. Its name is Latin for the
keel of a ship.

At one time all Toyotas in the US had names beginning with "C". Except for
"truck", which was called HiLux elsewhere.

Old January 1st 11, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 14:00:04 -0600, GM homepc wrote:

> On 12/31/2010 12:10 PM, GM homepc wrote:
>> On 12/30/2010 6:22 PM, Comments4u wrote:
>>> Toyota uses seeming concocted and meaningless names such as Camry,
>>> Celica,
>>> Corolla, and Prius. But unknown to most, those words have meanings in
>>> other languages. Camry, in Talagog, means "runaway car" and Celica, in
>>> Swahili, means "wadded up floor mat jams accellerator".

>> Corolla is the name given to the blossom of a flower. Tercel is a small
>> hawk.

> prius - Latin, meaning: before, formerely.
>
> The name "Camry" is an Anglicized
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglicisation> phonetic transcription of the
> Japanese word /kanmuri/ (*, かんむり), meaning crown
>
> Celica is ultimately derived from the Latin word coelica meaning
> "heavenly" or "celestial"
>

> You have to admit, Toyota is very creative when it comes to naming their
> cars.

Hey! I just said that!

Old January 1st 11, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 16:19:00 -0400, Wes wrote:

> On 31/12/2010 4:00 PM, GM homepc wrote:
>>> Corolla is the name given to the blossom of a flower. Tercel is a small
>>> hawk.

>> prius - Latin, meaning: before, formerely.
>>
>> The name "Camry" is an Anglicized
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglicisation> phonetic transcription of
>> the Japanese word /kanmuri/ (*, かんむり), meaning crown
>>
>> Celica is ultimately derived from the Latin word coelica meaning
>> "heavenly" or "celestial"
>>

>> You have to admit, Toyota is very creative when it comes to naming their
>> cars.
>>

> Like "Land Cruiser", "Pickup Truck" and "Toyota Van"? I guess the really
> creative guys were off sick when they brain stormed those deeply
> meaningful monikers.... :-)

Land Cruiser is cool. "Pickup Truck" was HiLux everywhere else, "Toyota
Van" was either LiteAce or HiAce everywhere else.

Don't make me get all Kei on your ass.

Old January 1st 11, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 15:42:51 +0000, sctvguy1 wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 16:19:00 -0400, Wes wrote:
>

>> Like "Land Cruiser", "Pickup Truck" and "Toyota Van"? I guess the really
>> creative guys were off sick when they brain stormed those deeply
>> meaningful monikers.... :-)

> Land Cruiser was an old Studebaker name.

No, that was "Land Barge"...

Old January 1st 11, 05:41 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
Rob[_22_]

"They also have the Crown, and, my favorite, the Crown Royal "

the only crown royal i care for comes in a pint bottle......lol

Old January 1st 11, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
sctvguy1[_2_]

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 08:35:27 -0800, Pete E. Kruzer wrote:

> My FORMER PT Cruiser had a terrible name! If there was any car that
> SHOULD have Cruise Control as standard equipment should be this one.
> Mine did not have it!

My 2003 Sedan, and my wife's 2005 Convertible had cruise control as standard.