Jetta Rim Size

Old May 13th 05, 03:26 AM
Glenn

Default Jetta Rim Size

I have 16" rims on my 01 Jetta right now, a spare set of 15" winter
rims, and 14" VW steel rims on an old Golf that I am trying to sell.

Ideally I would like to use the 14" (on the Golf - nearly new) rims on
a set of snow tires for the Jetta, and then put the beat up 15" rims on
the Golf I am selling. Will 14"s work on an 01 Jetta?

The 16" rims are to nice to want to drive in the winter, but I really
don't like the way winter rims look. The 14" steel VW's would be
perfect for the snow's on the Jetta, but I am not sure if that will
work.

Thanks,
Glenn

Old May 13th 05, 04:01 AM
Matt B.

"Glenn" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ideally I would like to use the 14" (on the Golf - nearly new) rims on
> a set of snow tires for the Jetta, and then put the beat up 15" rims on
> the Golf I am selling. Will 14"s work on an 01 Jetta?

doubtful. A co-worker has an '02 jetta with 15" rims and the front brake
caliper seems to nearly touch the wheel. I doubt a 14" will clear the
brakes.

Old May 13th 05, 04:03 AM
Matt B.

"Glenn" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have 16" rims on my 01 Jetta right now, a spare set of 15" winter rims,
>and 14" VW steel rims on an old Golf that I am trying to sell.

Your jetta is a 5-bolt pattern. Don't know what your Golf is year-wise but
if it's "old" as you say and it's pre-99.5 and not a VR6, it's a four-bolt
wheel. Wouldn't even bolt up.

Old May 15th 05, 05:05 AM
Glenn

Good point, and I looked, and yep, it is a 4 bolt. It is a 93. At
least I don't have to take the wheels of the 93 when I sell it!

Had to take one of the 16's off to fix a nail puncture, and put a 15 on
and it fits fine.

Going smaller from 16, to 15, means that I will be going slower than
the speedometer reads, correct?

Somewhat off topic, but I helped my father in-law put a straight pipe
exhaust on his Ford E350 cube van today (why, I don't know...).
Instead of sounding like a transport, it now sounds like a muscle car.

Thanks,
Glenn

Old May 15th 05, 05:21 AM
Matt B.

"Glenn" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Going smaller from 16, to 15, means that I will be going slower than the
> speedometer reads, correct?

all else equal yes, but the real key is the overall diameter of the wheel
plus the tire. if yo use a tire that is a higher sidewall, that makes up
for the smaller wheel.

go to http://www.powerdog.com and use their tire size calculator and put in
a few tire sizes and you'll be able to compare them