pre-68 microbus infos needed!

Old February 26th 05, 05:40 PM
Eric Desrochers

Default pre-68 microbus infos needed!

Hello all!

I might be interested in having a new split window bus project. I
previously had a 1972 Super which was a somewhat easy project but the
bus might prove more to be more involving...

First, I heard those barely go to 60 mph. What mods can be done to up
this to say 65 or 70 mph? That's the difference between enough and not
enough!

So far I heard about "freeway flyer" transaxle (or is it the 4th gear
only?), 1968 Beetle "straight axle" or IRS axle transplant.

Anyone could write about or steer me to relevant infos web pages on that
subject?

Am I right to think that the reduction boxes were there to accomodate
the smaller 1300 and 1500 engines and that a 1600 or biger would have
enogh ooomph to push the bus without the reductions boxes? Did the
68-71 buses had them?

On to another matter, sad pictures of my previous, now burned down '72
Super are now online at

http://homepage.mac.com/dero72/bob/i.../incendie.html

--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers
http://homepage.mac.com/dero72

Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95
Old February 26th 05, 06:02 PM
Busman

Eric,
Some of the eraly busses were slow but once you get to the 1500 and 1600
engines, they're not that bad. I have a 63 Camper that has a 67 Bus
transaxle in it and it will go 80+ if I want to be scared to death in Dallas
traffic - or at least it would when it was running. Previously it had a bug
transaxle with flopped ring and pinion for the same effect. 67 was the last
year for reductution boxes. I never a had any problem with them so I left
them alone.
Andy

Old February 26th 05, 07:49 PM
Joao Eliseu

Hi Eric,

Sad Photos....I glad you are going for new project. Good luck for it.

Joao

Old February 26th 05, 08:21 PM
Bob

I have a '67 bus. It tachs 3700rpm at 65mph. I have a counter-balanced
crank in it so if I feel like going 75, I don't feel it is too much of a
strain. 75mph is about 4200 on the tachometer.

Old February 27th 05, 05:32 AM
Eric Desrochers

Bob > wrote:

> I have a '67 bus. It tachs 3700rpm at 65mph. I have a counter-balanced
> crank in it so if I feel like going 75, I don't feel it is too much of a
> strain. 75mph is about 4200 on the tachometer.

The drive train is not modified in any way from stock?

--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers

Old February 27th 05, 07:28 AM
Eric Oster

My '67 bus is about the exact same from a tach standpoint.

1600 single port.

Stock transmission with reduction boxes.

I only rarely go above 60, though, I've just learned to plan my time better,
and not have to hurry to anyplace I plan on going to.

For engine life, the general consensus seems to be that going over about
3200RPM for long periods of time will greatly shorten your engine life. I
put the motor in my bus together in either 1999 or 2000, and 60,000+ miles
later it has yet to leak oil, or given me any sort of problem, but I always
have kept it at or under around 3K on the tach, and of course religious
maintenance helped.

YMMV, of course.

Old February 27th 05, 05:43 PM
Bob

The transmission is stock with the stock reduction gears. The '67 has
195/75-14 tires. They are wider than the 15" tires of the older busses but
I don't think they are taller. My engine is a 1776 with a 2bbl carburetor.
It has about 20k miles on it. I live in Wyoming and every trip I take is
100+ miles one way. In the winter time (10 months out of the year) it will
cruise at 65-70 with no problems. In the summer, I like to keep it around
55-60 because excess speed generates more heat. I have an oil temperature
gage. I like to keep my oil at 230 tops. - Bob

Old February 27th 05, 06:33 PM
Eric Desrochers

Thanks all! This is good news! It's not like I intend to race the
thing, but I frequently travel along other VWs campers, mostly bay
window, so I at least want to keep the pace with them.

I may buy a 67 Westy, originally from Florida but now in my cold, salty
Canada!

The bus is solid but would need a good body refreshing job. Worst
problem on it seem to be the front doors, louver windows and door
pop-out windows : none of them are closing tight now. Seals are either
pretty beat up or not there! You see outside from nearly all of them!
I see that seals kits are available to rebuilt the louver and pop-up
window so it might not be a big issue...

--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers

Old February 27th 05, 06:50 PM
tricky

My first bus was a 2l bay. Did 100mph quite well. I was new to VW's in
those days.
Needless to say, that engine doesnt work anymore.
I have now become acustomed to aircooled and am very happy to drive all
day at 65mph in my 64 split.
Just Chill and enjoy !

You can go faster, but not for long !

Rich

Old February 28th 05, 01:49 PM
bill may

the "big nut" trans are geared differant than "small nut" trans. if you
have 36MM nuts on rear axel it is small nut. big nut are 46MM my 67 13
window can go 65-70 without over heating.the freeway flyer bus trans
usually has a 3.88-1 instead of 4.12-1 but ,some have the 4th gear
changed outto lower the rpms at hi-way speed. if you have the small nut
trans you would be better off getting a 67 bus trans with reduction.
some guys use the beetle trans(irs or swingaxle) using 66 and down end
castings and extending the axel tubes so that the springplate mount is
same location as 68 backing plate distance. when using the freeway
trans it is good until you climb and may have to go down to 3rd to keep
momentum.