Jetta: 1999 GL TDI versus 2000 GLS (buying)

Old February 25th 05, 05:41 AM
Cymen Vig

Default Jetta: 1999 GL TDI versus 2000 GLS (buying)

I'm trying to decide between a 1999 Jetta GL TDI and a 2000 Jetta GLS.
Both cars are close to the same price (slightly under $8k).

2000 GLS:
pros: 1 owner, very clean, ~60k miles
cons: needs large scrape in paint job repaired and less fuel efficient
(scrape repair estimate included in price)

1999 GL TDI:
pros: looks clean, awesomely fuel efficient, low-end torque
cons: 3 owners, ~80k miles

Which would you go for? In the past, I've had an 86 GLI and an 83 Jetta
Turbo-Diesel (automatic unfortunately but it only cost $200). I would
love to have the TDI but the higher milage is an annoyance. I will drive
approximately 40k miles over the next 2 years so the fuel efficiency of
the TDI is very attractive. Both run through CarFax without issue. After
running the numbers, it looks like I would save about $600 over the next
two years by buying the TDI. I haven't factored in differences in
maintenance costs.
Old February 25th 05, 03:33 PM
Matt B.

"Cymen Vig" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to decide between a 1999 Jetta GL TDI and a 2000 Jetta GLS.
> Both cars are close to the same price (slightly under $8k).
>

> 2000 GLS:
> pros: 1 owner, very clean, ~60k miles
> cons: needs large scrape in paint job repaired and less fuel efficient
> (scrape repair estimate included in price)
>
> 1999 GL TDI:
> pros: looks clean, awesomely fuel efficient, low-end torque
> cons: 3 owners, ~80k miles
>

> Which would you go for?

Hands down the TDI and not the 2-point-slow (I assume the GLS was a 2.0?).
Get it checked by a mechanic though first (3 owners in a short time frame is
a little odd) but if it checks out OK, I'd go for the TDI.

Old February 25th 05, 05:29 PM

80,000 is not high mileage when the car could easily go 300,000 miles
or much more. That 20,000 miles is about 10 months of driving for me.
My 2003 TDI is nice to drive. 71,000 miles and counting.

Cymen Vig > wrote:

>I'm trying to decide between a 1999 Jetta GL TDI and a 2000 Jetta GLS.
>Both cars are close to the same price (slightly under $8k).
>

>2000 GLS:
> pros: 1 owner, very clean, ~60k miles
> cons: needs large scrape in paint job repaired and less fuel efficient
> (scrape repair estimate included in price)
>
>1999 GL TDI:
> pros: looks clean, awesomely fuel efficient, low-end torque
> cons: 3 owners, ~80k miles
>

>Which would you go for? In the past, I've had an 86 GLI and an 83 Jetta
>Turbo-Diesel (automatic unfortunately but it only cost $200). I would
>love to have the TDI but the higher milage is an annoyance. I will drive
>approximately 40k miles over the next 2 years so the fuel efficiency of
>the TDI is very attractive. Both run through CarFax without issue. After
>running the numbers, it looks like I would save about $600 over the next
>two years by buying the TDI. I haven't factored in differences in
>maintenance costs.

Jim B.
Old February 25th 05, 07:53 PM
Rob Guenther

Some people realize they don't like driving a diesel, and others realize the
Jetta is a pretty small car (rear seat wise)... so that could explain the
ownership by multiple people.

But yes, 3 owners in 6 years is a little high I suppose.

I'd go for the TDI, make sure the timing belt was done, and waterpump with
it... Get a mechanic (VW TDI familiar) to go over it.

Old February 26th 05, 04:58 AM
sd

In article >,
Cymen Vig > wrote:

> 2000 GLS:
> pros: 1 owner, very clean, ~60k miles
> cons: needs large scrape in paint job repaired and less fuel efficient
> (scrape repair estimate included in price)
>
> 1999 GL TDI:
> pros: looks clean, awesomely fuel efficient, low-end torque
> cons: 3 owners, ~80k miles
>

> Which would you go for?

Well, as a TDI owner (and someone who drove the 2.0 before he opted
for the diesel), I'd go for the TDI. Three owners in six years is a
bit suspicious, but if the car passes CarFax and a decent inspection
by a mechanic who knows diesels, then you're probably OK. It's much
more fun to drive than the standard gas-engined Jetta.

The mileage difference is negligible, though on a TDI with that
mileage, you'd be smart to either find documentation of a recent
timing belt change or get one done right away because 40,000 miles
was the interval back then. You _don't_ want to wait until the belt
brakes.

Good luck!

sd
Old February 28th 05, 04:31 PM
Cymen Vig

Cymen Vig > wrote in
:

> I'm trying to decide between a 1999 Jetta GL TDI and a 2000 Jetta GLS.
> Both cars are close to the same price (slightly under $8k).
>

> 2000 GLS:
> pros: 1 owner, very clean, ~60k miles
> cons: needs large scrape in paint job repaired and less fuel efficient
> (scrape repair estimate included in price)
>
> 1999 GL TDI:
> pros: looks clean, awesomely fuel efficient, low-end torque
> cons: 3 owners, ~80k miles
>

> Which would you go for? In the past, I've had an 86 GLI and an 83 Jetta
> Turbo-Diesel (automatic unfortunately but it only cost $200). I would
> love to have the TDI but the higher milage is an annoyance. I will drive
> approximately 40k miles over the next 2 years so the fuel efficiency of
> the TDI is very attractive. Both run through CarFax without issue. After
> running the numbers, it looks like I would save about $600 over the next
> two years by buying the TDI. I haven't factored in differences in
> maintenance costs.

Thanks for the responses. I found a 99 GLS with 51k for a great price so I
went with it. Nearly $1k less than the TDI and it doesn't need the TDI
belt/water pump/etc maintenance in 1,000 miles. I want a TDI but it will
have to be the next one.
Old February 28th 05, 10:48 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
Cymen Vig > wrote:
>I'm trying to decide between a 1999 Jetta GL TDI and a 2000 Jetta GLS.
>Both cars are close to the same price (slightly under $8k).
>
>2000 GLS:
> pros: 1 owner, very clean, ~60k miles
> cons: needs large scrape in paint job repaired and less fuel efficient
> (scrape repair estimate included in price)
>
>1999 GL TDI:
> pros: looks clean, awesomely fuel efficient, low-end torque
> cons: 3 owners, ~80k miles

Which one has the best maintenance history and inspection report from
a knowledgeable mechanic of your choice?

Timothy J. Lee