Dumb shock questions..

Old February 12th 05, 06:45 AM
Carl Saiyed

Default Dumb shock questions..

89 Cherokee (again...).

On the rear shocks, I'm confused which end to mount up. Does the short fat
end go down while the metal shaft and red boot end attach at the top?

http://www.industryfigure.com/berkel...lktrshock1.jpg
http://www.industryfigure.com/berkel...lktrshock2.jpg

As you can see in the pics, the rear upper bushing attaches to the body via
a shaft that passes thru the bushing. The ends of the shaft are flared to
secure the shock to the body. The flared ends will not fit thru the supplied
bushings, as best I can tell. I think if I put the bushing in the vice and
squeeze I miiiiight be able to fit the shaft thru the bushing, but I am
afraid I'll tear the inside of the bushing.

The FRONT shocks came packaged with a shaft and bushing that appear to be
for the rear upper shock mounts. They have no place I can see on the front.
The rear shocks were packaged with two bushings and two cylinders that fit
inside the bushings. I assume these cylinders are for the bushing to ride on
the bolt?

They also shipped me what appears to be a front shock mount conversion
kit... To convert the front shock mounts from the stud type upper mount to
the eye type (upper mount), however the front shocks I received are the stud
type upper mount. The brackets are |_| Shaped with a hole in the center of
the bottom, and a hole in the top center of each side. I'm only guessing
what these are for at this point..

TIA for any help.

Carl

Old February 12th 05, 07:56 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Carl,
Yes, the "longer end" goes down, that's end with the piston and
reservoir, if you notice you'll have to prime them before installation
pulling them through upright. There are a few high performance shocks
that designed to run upside down, but they'll usually have hoses
attached to a pressure tank. you shouldn't have to do anything to their
bushings, as that type caross bar should be vulcanized in from new.
Sounds like you have the Real Jeep shocks for the front, which of
course, won't fit.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 12th 05, 02:27 PM
Cherokee-Ltd

"Carl Saiyed" > wrote in message

> On the rear shocks, I'm confused which end to mount up. Does the short fat
> end go down while the metal shaft and red boot end attach at the top?

Yep.

> As you can see in the pics, the rear upper bushing attaches to the body
> via
> a shaft that passes thru the bushing. The ends of the shaft are flared to
> secure the shock to the body. The flared ends will not fit thru the
> supplied
> bushings, as best I can tell. I think if I put the bushing in the vice and
> squeeze I miiiiight be able to fit the shaft thru the bushing, but I am
> afraid I'll tear the inside of the bushing.

Moisten the bar pins and press them through on the vice. Use a large socket
on one side (to receive the pin) and the vice jaws against the pin on the
other side.

> The FRONT shocks came packaged with a shaft and bushing that appear to be
> for the rear upper shock mounts. They have no place I can see on the
> front.
> The rear shocks were packaged with two bushings and two cylinders that fit
> inside the bushings. I assume these cylinders are for the bushing to ride
> on
> the bolt?
>
> They also shipped me what appears to be a front shock mount conversion
> kit... To convert the front shock mounts from the stud type upper mount
> the eye type (upper mount), however the front shocks I received are the
> stud
> type upper mount. The brackets are |_| Shaped with a hole in the center of
> the bottom, and a hole in the top center of each side. I'm only guessing
> what these are for at this point..

This is what the factory front shocks look like:
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/sus...j_lift/rs8.jpg
The stud end goes through the top of the shock tower and secured by a nut
from under the hood.
Some people prefer converting to the regular bushing ends for a better
choice of shocks using this adapter:
http://www.rocky-road.com/media/pinadapt.jpg
It utilizes the same style of shock as the rear and you mount the bracket up
through the shock tower.

-Brian

Old February 12th 05, 02:59 PM
Carl Saiyed

Thanks Bill and LTD!

The adapter in the picture is exactly what I have. I should be OK for the
time being!

thanks again

Carl