70,000 on '03 Mountaineer

Old January 28th 08, 12:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Daniel David Palmer[_2_]

Default 70,000 on '03 Mountaineer

Well, our 2003 Mountaineer Premier V8 is approaching 70,000 miles. I
just spent $1200 for rear brakes/rotors, new springs and front bearings.
It seems to be running great now and is not as loud as before (see my
prior posts). I have been thinking about a new Mteer/Explorer....but on
the other hand the old ride seems to be worth only about 8 grand is
looks/runs great. I've done all the maintenance including tranny and
coolant flushes. I am wondering if you guys think I can get to 100,000
miles....about 2-3 more years...and what additional preventative
maintenance I outta consider. New hoses maybe?

On the one hand, we live in Pittsburgh and the winters are nasty and the
hills/potholes take it's toll on our vehicles. On the other hand, my
vehicles are garage kept, washed weekly and well maintained.

What would you do?
Old January 28th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Big Shoe[_2_]

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 07:59:55 -0500, Daniel David Palmer
> wrote:

>Well, our 2003 Mountaineer Premier V8 is approaching 70,000 miles. I
>just spent $1200 for rear brakes/rotors, new springs and front bearings.
>It seems to be running great now and is not as loud as before (see my
>prior posts). I have been thinking about a new Mteer/Explorer....but on
>the other hand the old ride seems to be worth only about 8 grand is
>looks/runs great. I've done all the maintenance including tranny and
>coolant flushes. I am wondering if you guys think I can get to 100,000
>miles....about 2-3 more years...and what additional preventative
>maintenance I outta consider. New hoses maybe?
>
>On the one hand, we live in Pittsburgh and the winters are nasty and the
>hills/potholes take it's toll on our vehicles. On the other hand, my
>vehicles are garage kept, washed weekly and well maintained.
>
>What would you do?

The Explorer should be good for close to 200,000 miles with good
maintenance. We have a '99 in the family with about 180,000 now. It
may be due for new hoses and belt though.
Old January 28th 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Daniel David Palmer[_2_]

Do you mean that YOUR 180,000 mile Explorer needs new hoses/belts or
that I should do it for my (mere!) 70,000 Mountaineer?

Old January 28th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

Don't know about Pittsburgh, but my '98 Expy with 120K miles is as good as
new. Just replaced the serpentine belt for the first time, because it
finally stretched a bit. All hoses are still nice and pliable. Not a drop of
oil consumption for that ancient 5.0L V8. Just minor things like a bad cc
servo or wiper motor failed. The damn thing will probably outlive me.

"Daniel David Palmer" > wrote in message
. ..
> Do you mean that YOUR 180,000 mile Explorer needs new hoses/belts or that
> I should do it for my (mere!) 70,000 Mountaineer?

hoses and belt though.

Old January 28th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bob[_2_]

Daniel David Palmer wrote:
> Well, our 2003 Mountaineer Premier V8 is approaching 70,000 miles. I
> just spent $1200 for rear brakes/rotors, new springs and front bearings.
> It seems to be running great now and is not as loud as before (see my
> prior posts). I have been thinking about a new Mteer/Explorer....but on
> the other hand the old ride seems to be worth only about 8 grand is
> looks/runs great. I've done all the maintenance including tranny and
> coolant flushes. I am wondering if you guys think I can get to 100,000
> miles....about 2-3 more years...and what additional preventative
> maintenance I outta consider. New hoses maybe?
>
> On the one hand, we live in Pittsburgh and the winters are nasty and the
> hills/potholes take it's toll on our vehicles. On the other hand, my
> vehicles are garage kept, washed weekly and well maintained.
>
> What would you do?

Drive it till the wheels fall off! I drive an old '94 explorer and smile
all the way to the bank. People spend way too much money on new cars
every few years, there's no need for a new car if you're happy with your
present car unless repair costs exceed it's value. Then buy a good
used one. You'll save 10s of thousands of dollars.
Old January 29th 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Big Shoe[_2_]

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:11:24 -0500, Daniel David Palmer
> wrote:

>Do you mean that YOUR 180,000 mile Explorer needs new hoses/belts or
>that I should do it for my (mere!) 70,000 Mountaineer?

Sorry, I just read my reply and realized that I didn't really say what
I meant. Yes, I would consider changing the belt and hoses on your
Mountaineer.

Old January 29th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Mikepier

On Jan 28, 7:59*am, Daniel David Palmer > wrote:
> Well, our 2003 Mountaineer Premier V8 is approaching 70,000 miles. I
> just spent $1200 for rear brakes/rotors, new springs and front bearings.
> It seems to be running great now and is not as loud as before (see my
> prior posts). I have been thinking about a new Mteer/Explorer....but on
> the other hand the old ride seems to be worth only about 8 grand is
> looks/runs great. I've done all the maintenance including tranny and
> coolant flushes. I am wondering if you guys think I can get to 100,000
> miles....about 2-3 more years...and what additional preventative
> maintenance I outta consider. New hoses maybe?
>
> On the one hand, we live in Pittsburgh and the winters are nasty and the
> hills/potholes take it's toll on our vehicles. On the other hand, my
> vehicles are garage kept, washed weekly and well maintained.
>
> What would you do?

I am surprised you needed new bearings and springs considering the age
and mileage of the truck. But now that you've fixed it, you should
have no problem keeping your truck for the long term.

Old January 29th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Daniel David Palmer[_2_]

Don't forget, I live in Pittsburgh. LOTS of hills and potholes all day
long, every day.

Old January 29th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Daniel David Palmer[_2_]

Thanks. I'll probably do it all.

Old January 30th 08, 07:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Tom from WI

We lived in Pittsburgh about 30 years ago. Our cars always rusted through
because of the salt they put on the road in the winter. Do they still use
salt to keep ice & snow off of the road?
Tom

1998 mercury mountaineer yance 4x4 1 January 3rd 06 03:32 AM
mountaineer brakes jim weibel Ford Explorer 0 December 13th 05 05:09 AM
Mountaineer vs. Exploder S.P. Ford Explorer 10 November 24th 05 10:35 PM
Mountaineer - Problem ElGreco859 4x4 0 October 31st 05 03:57 AM
40K Service on 3 Yr Old Mountaineer V8 D.D. Palmer Ford Explorer 13 August 11th 05 03:38 PM