Tranny problems/codes

Old May 5th 07, 07:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default Tranny problems/codes

Hi, driving a 1990 Accord EX with A/T and 243,000 miles. An
intermittent problem has developed where the 'S' indicator light will
flash and first gear seems to be gone. If I give it gas it will slowly
move and then pick up 2nd gear and shift normally until I come to a
stop. Normally, when I turn the car off it resets and shifts fine
again.

Another problem is every now and then it sticks in park and I have to
use the shift lock release to get it into neutral in order to drive
it.

I pulled the TCU codes and came up with 1, 2, 7, and 8. These relate
to the lock-up control solenoid and the shift control solenoid. Any
chance this is accurate and they are both on the fritz? Any chance of
it being the VSS, which seems to be a major problem for eary 90's
Accords? I should mention that at no point does my speedometer quit
working.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
RJ

Old May 6th 07, 10:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Mr Mack

I'm having a similar problem.. How do you pull the TCU codes?

--
Mr Mack
Mr Mack's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=512117

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old May 7th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Charles

Mr Mack wrote:
> I'm having a similar problem.. How do you pull the TCU codes?

I'll tell you how I do it for my 1988 Prelude. Your procedure may vary, though.

Find the transmission control module. It's under the passenger's left foot.
There's a little flap of carpet under the dash which you can peel back to see
the fault indicator for the _engine_ computer. For the corresponding indicator
on the _transmission_ computer you'll have to pull the carpet to the left of
that flap back.

Turn the ignition on. (Starting the engine is optional.) Watch for a flashing
LED on the side of the TCU. Count the flashes, if any.

--
Chuck

Old May 7th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

wrote:
> Hi, driving a 1990 Accord EX with A/T and 243,000 miles. An
> intermittent problem has developed where the 'S' indicator light will
> flash and first gear seems to be gone. If I give it gas it will slowly
> move and then pick up 2nd gear and shift normally until I come to a
> stop. Normally, when I turn the car off it resets and shifts fine
> again.
>
> Another problem is every now and then it sticks in park and I have to
> use the shift lock release to get it into neutral in order to drive
> it.
>
> I pulled the TCU codes and came up with 1, 2, 7, and 8. These relate
> to the lock-up control solenoid and the shift control solenoid. Any
> chance this is accurate and they are both on the fritz? Any chance of
> it being the VSS, which seems to be a major problem for eary 90's
> Accords? I should mention that at no point does my speedometer quit
> working.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
> Thanks,
> RJ

----------------------------

How many times have you changed the tranny fluid, and with what? There
are a few TSB's about the adjustment of the shifter cable that will
solve your other problem:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/index.html

Almost every honda has the same adjustment.

'Curly'

96 sl2 tranny problems christianone Saturn 5 August 5th 05 03:40 AM
tranny problems jmn Chrysler 10 August 1st 05 05:21 AM
4x4 tranny problems hamlin 4x4 2 March 21st 05 03:38 PM
95 SL2 tranny problems Mike Grossberg Saturn 7 January 27th 05 02:13 AM
Tranny Trouble codes jonnymcfly Saturn 4 July 7th 04 01:41 AM