More on the Flickering

Old September 27th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
HyperCube33

Default More on the Flickering

Alright. So I finally broke down as I am having a rough few weeks and took
my car in to have the alternator and battery tested. Both checked out fine,
but they apperently found a loose connection to my battery and tightened it.
Afterwards my car ran beautifully, until it rained. Afterwards it started
showing up again, slowly. Lights started to flicker, and then now when I
apply the break the lights either dim or cut out and the idiot battery light
kicks on.

I'm thinking about taking it in agian, and wondering if one of my battery
cables is bad (fuzzy assumption.)

Thanks,
Brian

Old September 27th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, "HyperCube33" > wrote:
>Alright. So I finally broke down as I am having a rough few weeks and took
>my car in to have the alternator and battery tested. Both checked out fine,
>but they apperently found a loose connection to my battery and tightened it.
>Afterwards my car ran beautifully, until it rained. Afterwards it started
>showing up again, slowly. Lights started to flicker, and then now when I
>apply the break the lights either dim or cut out and the idiot battery light
>kicks on.
>
>I'm thinking about taking it in agian, and wondering if one of my battery
>cables is bad (fuzzy assumption.)

If all they did was tighten a loose connection, I can see how wet weather
would cause problems to begin again: corrosion.

Inspect both battery terminals for corrosion. Remove them both, and thoroughly
clean the cable ends and the battery posts. Coat all surfaces of the cable
ends and posts with anti-oxidant grease (Ox-Gard, found in the electrical
department at any hardware store or home center, works fine; there are others
available at auto parts stores, too), and reassemble, making sure that the
connections are good and tight.

Trace the negative battery cable from the battery to its connection with the
engine and/or frame, and inspect that end of it too. If it's frayed, corroded,
or damaged in any way, replace it.

--
Regards,

Old October 1st 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
HyperCube33

Sweet, I was going to inquire about corrosion since the grounds were
horrible before.

Thanks!