Best way to replace my stolen airbags?

Old June 26th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Best way to replace my stolen airbags?

Our 1996 Accord just had both front airbags stolen.
What's the best way to replace them without paying a fortune?
How can I tell if the computer modules were stollen too?

thanks

-Adriano

Old June 27th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Dipsy wrote:
> Our 1996 Accord just had both front airbags stolen.
> What's the best way to replace them without paying a fortune?

junkyard. theyll be half of retail, which is likely more than the car is
worth.

> How can I tell if the computer modules were stollen too?

if the SRS light goes on, the computer is probably still there. wild guess.

> thanks
>
> -Adriano

i personally wouldnt bother replacing the bags. itll be harder to sell
the car, and you WILL have to disclose that.

hm... i wonder if replacing the covers would work, then trading the car
in not ethical, but then that makes it the dealers problem.
Old June 27th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Dipsy" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Our 1996 Accord just had both front airbags stolen.
> What's the best way to replace them without paying a fortune?

Buy them from a fence. (that was a joke...)

Call the local wreckers. Or try he
www.car-part.com

> How can I tell if the computer modules were stollen too?

The SRS light won't come on.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old June 27th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Thanks for the replies.

One more question: What is the clock spring? How do I know if it's
missing too?

Thanks

Old June 27th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Dipsy" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Thanks for the replies.
>
> One more question: What is the clock spring? How do I know if it's
> missing too?

The "clock spring" (also known as the "spiral cable", or "cable reel")
allows electrical connection to the airbag to be maintained as you turn the
steering wheel in the process of steering the car. It's sort of an update
to the old pin-and-ring assembly that horns used to use.

It is inside the airbag assembly. You get a new one with the new airbag.

Old June 27th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

SoCalMike wrote:

> Dipsy wrote:
>
>> Our 1996 Accord just had both front airbags stolen.
>> What's the best way to replace them without paying a fortune?

> junkyard. theyll be half of retail, which is likely more than the car is
> worth.

And you might end up buying your own bags back.
Old June 27th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

yeah I wonder if I'll end up seeing them on ebay.

Old June 27th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Dipsy wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> One more question: What is the clock spring? How do I know if it's
> missing too?
>
> Thanks

i think the clock spring is underneath the steering wheel. chances are,
they just yanked the bags, real quick.
Old June 28th 06, 07:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Dipsy wrote:

> yeah I wonder if I'll end up seeing them on ebay.

I would not be surprised.
Old June 29th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

The clock spring is under the steering wheel. All you should need is a new
bag unless they screwed up the connector on the wires that plug into the
connector on the air bag. Make sure you get the bolts that hold the bag in
place.