Explorer Reliability Issues?

Old April 8th 05, 04:32 AM
Wesley

I used to have a similar problem with a 1978 Ford van I used to
drive...towing or on a long acceleration, it would throw the front heat/ac
system up on the windshield instead of the dash, and the rear heat/ac would
turn to heat. I was told it was a vacuum leak somewhere in the system, but
no one could ever pin it down and wasn't worth a bunch of $$ to figure out.

What is a "hensley hitch"? I've not heard of that before...

Wesley

Old April 8th 05, 01:12 PM
C. E. White

Chris Cowles wrote:

> Please elaborate on how wheel size influences max tow weight.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Two ways -

1) Larger wheels and tires effectively lower the gear ratio.

2) Larger wheels and tires weigh more. This is a double hit
to your braking an acceleration. When stopping you not only
have to burn off the extra forward inertia added as a result
of the extra weight of the larger wheels and tires, but you
also have to burn off the extra rotational inertia. Bigger
tires and wheels are both heavier and have a larger diameter
- this makes them a better flywheel - which is not a good
thing when you are trying to change speeds (either slowing
down or speeding up).

Ed

Old April 8th 05, 01:15 PM
C. E. White

Big Bill wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 23:09:15 GMT, respk >
> wrote:
>
> >I used to have an V8 AWD Explorer which we used to tow our 25' TT about
> >5000#. It towed it just fine as far as power goes. The only thing I
> >noticed was that on a long hill the air conditioning would start to blow
> > warmer air and then cool back down when we crested the hill. I also
> >towed with a hensley hitch since the wheelbase is so short on the
> >Explorer. Would not have tried it without one.

> I think the loss of AC is because trhere's a vacuum switch that cuts
> power to the compressor when the vacuum drops beyond a certain point -
> as when pulling hard, for example.

I don't think they use a vacuum switch anymore. I think it
is just built into the PCM logic. When you go past a certain
power level, the PCM cuts off the compressor and at least in
some cases, the alternator as well.

Ed
Old April 8th 05, 01:16 PM
C. E. White

Big Bill wrote:

> >Jean

> I've heard you lose about 2% of your power for each 1000 ft of
> altitude, but never heard about derating your towing capacity for
> altitude.
> The brakes, powertrain (except for power) and suspension don't change
> with altitude.
> The loss of power is self-limiting concerning towing.

I believe the brakes will not be as effective at high
altitude becasue the less dense air will not cool them as
well.

Ed
Old April 8th 05, 01:23 PM
meldx

Wesley, if you leave your PowerMode on all the time, you probably
restrain the lock converter of the Overdrive to kick in .

Mel

Old April 8th 05, 01:27 PM
meldx

some info on their site.

http://www.nosway.com/

The way I see it, it's a no-sway Weight Distribution hitch

sounds like they try to simulate the hitch as if it was a Pin hitch
(same as for a 5er)

Mel

Old April 8th 05, 04:08 PM
Chris Cowles

Thanks. Basically, the smaller the wheel/tire the easier to pull/stop.

Old April 8th 05, 04:14 PM
tfandango

I saw a 2004 or 2005 explorer pulling a Uhaul last weekend. I wondered
about that because I tried to rent one once for my 2000 XLT and was
denied. Are you sure the UHaul policy is not related to the model
year? Could be that this guy knew someone at UHaul or got someone who
didn't know better.

-troy

Old April 8th 05, 04:49 PM
tobe

Here is the statement from the UHaul web site just now when I pretended to
try and rent a trailer using a 2005 Ford Explorer RWD as a tow vehicle:

"This vehicle is not authorized to tow U-Haul equipment. U-Haul does not
rent behind this tow vehicle. We apologize for any inconvenience this may
cause you. Is there a different vehicle that you can use for towing?"

Old April 8th 05, 05:46 PM
Bill Jeffrey

Jean -

You are exactly right about that. In situations like that, I would kill
for a decent supercharger that would boost the pressure back up to
something near sea level.

I've looked. There are a lot of shysters out there selling mini-blowers
that are too small to do much of anything. There are also a lot of
leave-rubber-at-the-light kind of macho dorks who think of a
supercharger as something to get a burst of power to leave someone else
in the dust. But boosting intake pressure above sea level for more than
a few seconds is liable to harm an engine that isn't designed for it.
What I am looking for is something that will bring pressure back to sea
level and no more, and can operate for a half hour at a time without
hurting itself or the engine, as I negotiate a mountain road. Haven't
found anything.

Any ideas?

Bill