Brake lights on 98 Honda Civic not working

Old April 4th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default Brake lights on 98 Honda Civic not working

I recently bought a 1998 Honda Civic DX and discovered that my brake
lights are not working.

I began troubleshooting the problem by first replacing the brake light
switch (under the brake pedal) which didn't help and then replaced the
third brake light bulb (which was burnt out) but that didn't help
either.

I then started looking at the brake light bulbs and discovered
something a little odd. The actual brake light bulb has two filaments
in it - the first is for the running lights and the second gets
illuminated when the brake pedal is pressed. What's happening with my
car is that if the headlights are on, both filaments are lit for some
unknown reason. I should add that the turn signals still work so I
know that there is power in the circuit.

Any ideas or suggestions on where I should look to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Christopher
Old April 4th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Rick Blaine

> wrote in message
>I recently bought a 1998 Honda Civic DX and discovered that my brake
> lights are not working.
>
> I began troubleshooting the problem by first replacing the brake light
> switch (under the brake pedal) which didn't help and then replaced the
> third brake light bulb (which was burnt out) but that didn't help
> either.
>
> I then started looking at the brake light bulbs and discovered
> something a little odd. The actual brake light bulb has two filaments
> in it - the first is for the running lights and the second gets
> illuminated when the brake pedal is pressed. What's happening with my
> car is that if the headlights are on, both filaments are lit for some
> unknown reason. I should add that the turn signals still work so I
> know that there is power in the circuit.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions on where I should look to fix the problem?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Christopher

Maybe the wrong kind of bulbs are installed?

Old April 4th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth[_2_]

> wrote in message
>I recently bought a 1998 Honda Civic DX and discovered that my brake
> lights are not working.
>
> I began troubleshooting the problem by first replacing the brake light
> switch (under the brake pedal) which didn't help and then replaced the
> third brake light bulb (which was burnt out) but that didn't help
> either.
>
> I then started looking at the brake light bulbs and discovered
> something a little odd. The actual brake light bulb has two filaments
> in it - the first is for the running lights and the second gets
> illuminated when the brake pedal is pressed. What's happening with my
> car is that if the headlights are on, both filaments are lit for some
> unknown reason. I should add that the turn signals still work so I
> know that there is power in the circuit.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions on where I should look to fix the problem?

See my response in news:alt.autos.honda and learn how to cross-post rather
than multi-post.