What does a blinking "Glow Plug" on a 99.5 Jetta TDI mean?

Old November 21st 04, 08:38 PM
Mike Smith

Default What does a blinking "Glow Plug" on a 99.5 Jetta TDI mean?

I have a 99.5 Jetta TDI, 73K. I just purchased in June and it looks
like the car was maintained well (a lot of records).

Anyway, I just started seeing a blinking Glow Plug light while
driving. It is continuously, and does not blink out a specific code.
Does this mean a bad glow plug, or something else. The manual just
says "Take it to a VW dealer ASAP (it did not say quit driving
immediately or anything like that) but I would like to get an idea is
this is user-servicable or if I should prepare to do the "ankle grab"
of taking a car to a dealer. I do not like the thought of that
because it will be $$$ and I'll probably be without the car for a
while. I live in Tallahassee, FL and there isn't a good pool of any
specialties in town, let alone a good diesel mechanic even at a
dealer. I have heard horror stories.

TIA,

Mike
Old November 21st 04, 09:46 PM
Woodchuck

Here's your FREE advice. It means there is a fault in the TDI engine
management system. Most likely you got a glow plug system problem. But
without knowing the fault code it can't be fixed here. Drive up to
Pennsylvania and I will fix it!

Old November 21st 04, 09:46 PM
Woodchuck

Old November 22nd 04, 02:49 AM
Tony Bad

On my 91 Diesel it meant the water separator needed to be drained...but it never
has actually gone off on mine. I'm guessing it means something else on your high
tech diesel!

--
Tony Bad

02 Jetta Wagon
01 Eurovan MV
91 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
86 Jetta
79 Rabbit 1.5 Diesel (semi-retired for now)
Schwinn Continental 10 Speed
Radio Flyer Pedal Car (my daughter made me add this)

Old November 22nd 04, 02:49 AM
Tony Bad

Old November 22nd 04, 03:15 AM
Rob Guenther

It can mean a few things... I had it go off (blinking) with a solid engine
light due to a rich mixture - the performance shop had to dial back my
tuning box to clear the fault, hasn't happened since, but I don't get quite
the same kick from it (it was running at max power - the car flew!... albeit
with way more smoke then what I would deam acceptable)
. net...

Old November 22nd 04, 03:15 AM
Rob Guenther

It can mean a few things... I had it go off (blinking) with a solid engine
light due to a rich mixture - the performance shop had to dial back my
tuning box to clear the fault, hasn't happened since, but I don't get quite
the same kick from it (it was running at max power - the car flew!... albeit
with way more smoke then what I would deam acceptable)
. net...

Old November 22nd 04, 02:01 PM

my '86 means water in the separator. fred's tdi says can be a brake
light or switch in the later models.

Old November 22nd 04, 02:01 PM

Old November 22nd 04, 02:29 PM
Ernest

When it happened to me it was the "brake light switch" which did not work.
With VAG-COM you can get a code which gives the reason for the blinking glow
plug light.