'90 Accord Brake Lamp indicator

Old September 26th 04, 02:55 AM
BC Bob

Default '90 Accord Brake Lamp indicator

1990 Honda Accord 4 door. Canadian edition (DLR.,etc.). Recently the dash
indicator for "Brake Lamp" has been illuminating constantly (was
intermittant for a short time). All brake lamps seem to be operating
properly, including HighMount, however indicator is lit whenever vehicle is
in motion.(i.e. no park brake). Anyone have any suggestions as to the
cause/reason? Anyone have a wiring diagram as to how this magic all takes
place? Anyone with a suggestion other than remove dash indicator lamp? I
know you guys are really sharp on these things and my daughter will really
appreciate not having to look at that little red lamp all the time. Thankyou
to each and all of you who have taken the time to read this post and give it
your consideration. I hope we will come up with a solution before I have to
take it to the dealership for a $100+ dollar fix. Looking forward to your
reply and thanks again......bob

Old September 26th 04, 03:39 AM
Steve Bigelow

"BC Bob" > wrote in message
> 1990 Honda Accord 4 door. Canadian edition (DLR.,etc.). Recently the dash
> indicator for "Brake Lamp" has been illuminating constantly (was
> intermittant for a short time). All brake lamps seem to be operating
> properly, including HighMount, however indicator is lit whenever vehicle
> is
> in motion.(i.e. no park brake). Anyone have any suggestions as to the
> cause/reason? Anyone have a wiring diagram as to how this magic all takes
> place? Anyone with a suggestion other than remove dash indicator lamp? I
> know you guys are really sharp on these things and my daughter will really
> appreciate not having to look at that little red lamp all the time.
> Thankyou
> to each and all of you who have taken the time to read this post and give
> it
> your consideration. I hope we will come up with a solution before I have
> take it to the dealership for a $100+ dollar fix. Looking forward to your
> reply and thanks again......bob

My 91 EX-R does that every once and a while. Yank out the bulbs and then put
them back. It just wants some attention from you.

Old September 26th 04, 06:22 AM
Randolph

Check all the bulbs carefully once again. Some Accords have two side by
side brake light bulbs on each side and it is easy to miss one. The 90
Accord hatchback was this way, not sure about the sedan.

The current to each bulb runs through the coil of a small relay. If
there is current flowing, the relay closes. If a bulb is broken, no
current flows, and the relay does not close. There is one relay for each
light bulb, and all the relay contacts are wired in series. Thus, if any
bulb is broken, there will be no continuity through the chain of relay
contacts.

I believe the '90 had the relays mounted in two modules, on for the left
and one for the right hand side. The modules were mounted somewhere in
the trunk. The two modules look very similar, but may not be
interchangeable; In some Accords one side had a diode whereas the other
side did not. On other Accords the two modules were identical and
interchangeable.

One of the two modules (but not both) require a ground connection. If
this ground connection is missing / intermittent / high impedance you
can get false brake bulb alarms.

I found on my hard disk a ZIP file with Accord wiring diagrams that look
like they might be from around the '90 generation. If you post a valid
e-mail address, I'll send them to you (or set up an FTP where you can
download them).

Old September 26th 04, 06:33 AM
Randolph

Randolph wrote:

> The 90 Accord hatchback was this way

Scratch that, '89 was the last year for the hatch.

> I found on my hard disk a ZIP file with Accord wiring diagrams that look
> like they might be from around the '90 generation. If you post a valid
> e-mail address, I'll send them to you (or set up an FTP where you can
> download them).

Scratch that too, these diagrams include wiring for the hatchback and
thus must be for 89 or earlier.
Old September 26th 04, 07:06 AM
Mista Bone

Likely, water in the taillight.
My 85 Accord used to do it after it rained, now it does it all the time.
Wait till the gas filler neck rusts where it meets the tank, then you can
only run 3/4 of a tank of gas.

Old September 26th 04, 01:53 PM
Jafir Elkurd

Pretty sure that 87 and older accords (2nd and 3rd gen) had recalls on the
fuel filler neck....Preludes too from similar years.

Old October 3rd 04, 04:36 AM
Arthur Russell

I would also guess that it's the actual circuit that detects a blown bulb,
rather than an actual bulb that's blown (anyway, you already checked the
bulbs...)

In addition to Randolph's comments below, you might specifically check the
multi-point connector that plugs into the detector modules. On my 91, some
of the contacts had corroded, which caused the problem. The modules are
located on the tail light lens assemblies - I can't remember if the modules
are visible from inside the trunk if you only remove the access panels (to
get at the light bulbs)...if not, you need to remove part of the trunk
liner. Once you have access, you'll see the modules. They're secured to the
back side of the lens assemblies, their case is either black or light brown
plastic (if memory serves correctly).

Good luck!
-Arthur

Randolph wrote:

> Check all the bulbs carefully once again. Some Accords have two side by
> side brake light bulbs on each side and it is easy to miss one. The 90
> Accord hatchback was this way, not sure about the sedan.
>
> The current to each bulb runs through the coil of a small relay. If
> there is current flowing, the relay closes. If a bulb is broken, no
> current flows, and the relay does not close. There is one relay for each
> light bulb, and all the relay contacts are wired in series. Thus, if any
> bulb is broken, there will be no continuity through the chain of relay
> contacts.
>
> I believe the '90 had the relays mounted in two modules, on for the left
> and one for the right hand side. The modules were mounted somewhere in
> the trunk. The two modules look very similar, but may not be
> interchangeable; In some Accords one side had a diode whereas the other
> side did not. On other Accords the two modules were identical and
> interchangeable.
>
> One of the two modules (but not both) require a ground connection. If
> this ground connection is missing / intermittent / high impedance you
> can get false brake bulb alarms.
>
> I found on my hard disk a ZIP file with Accord wiring diagrams that look
> like they might be from around the '90 generation. If you post a valid
> e-mail address, I'll send them to you (or set up an FTP where you can
> download them).
>

> BC Bob wrote:
>
>>1990 Honda Accord 4 door. Canadian edition (DLR.,etc.). Recently the dash
>>indicator for "Brake Lamp" has been illuminating constantly (was
>>intermittant for a short time). All brake lamps seem to be operating
>>properly, including HighMount, however indicator is lit whenever vehicle is
>>in motion.(i.e. no park brake). Anyone have any suggestions as to the
>>cause/reason? Anyone have a wiring diagram as to how this magic all takes
>>place? Anyone with a suggestion other than remove dash indicator lamp? I
>>know you guys are really sharp on these things and my daughter will really
>>appreciate not having to look at that little red lamp all the time. Thankyou
>>to each and all of you who have taken the time to read this post and give it
>>your consideration. I hope we will come up with a solution before I have to
>>take it to the dealership for a $100+ dollar fix. Looking forward to your
>>reply and thanks again......bob

Neon with tricky brake lights do_crev Chrysler 4 October 19th 04 06:12 PM
Airbag sensor on E39 hodne BMW 2 September 25th 04 12:04 AM
'84 Audi 4000s Quattro brake issues, balancing ItJstAGame Audi 2 July 23rd 04 04:17 AM