1997 Civic Replace Thermostat

Old April 8th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Julien

Default 1997 Civic Replace Thermostat

How much time should it take to replace an original thermostat in a 1997
Civic? Should I have new bolts on hand in case the original bolts
get damage when removing them?
Old April 8th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle[_2_]

If this is the first time you have done this, then your own
actual labor time should be maybe around two hours. It could
be a lot less if you are handy with cools and removing
interference on your car to get to the actual thermostat.

Diagrams like
http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/m...l/pdf/10-7.pdf
and the exploded parts diagram at bkhondaparts.com may be
helpful.

You want to have a new thermostat gasket; use only an OEM
thermostat; and have extra coolant (Honda OEM or whatever
you have been using). You should purge the system of air
afterwards, or at least top off the radiator and monitor the
reservoir level (adding coolant as needed) for a week or so
afterward.

I would not expect new bolts to be necessary.

"Julien" > wrote

Old April 8th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Julien

Elle wrote:
> If this is the first time you have done this, then your own
> actual labor time should be maybe around two hours. It could
> be a lot less if you are handy with cools and removing
> interference on your car to get to the actual thermostat.
>
> Diagrams like
> http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/m...l/pdf/10-7.pdf
> and the exploded parts diagram at bkhondaparts.com may be
> helpful.
>
> You want to have a new thermostat gasket; use only an OEM
> thermostat; and have extra coolant (Honda OEM or whatever
> you have been using). You should purge the system of air
> afterwards, or at least top off the radiator and monitor the
> reservoir level (adding coolant as needed) for a week or so
> afterward.
>
> I would not expect new bolts to be necessary.
>
> "Julien" > wrote
>> How much time should it take to replace an original
>> thermostat in a 1997 Civic? Should I have new bolts on
>> hand in case the original bolts get damage when removing
>> them?

Thank you for your quick response.
Old April 8th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loewent via CarKB.com

>I would not expect new bolts to be necessary.

unless you break them. Then be prepared with a drill, tap and die kit. And
new bolt(s).

Not fun, but the location of the thermostat on that gen of civic means it
wouldn't be the end of the world.