2000 explorer XLT - keeps going into rough idle mode

Old May 17th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
JT[_2_]

Default 2000 explorer XLT - keeps going into rough idle mode

A few days ago in my 2000 XLT, I noticed my tach was jumping around
while on the highway at around 65 MPH. The engine wasn't surging so I
didn't think too much of it. The following morning about a half hour
into my morning drive I lost all acceration. I was able to get the
truck off to the side and looked under the hood for a bad harness
connector. The idle would surge between 0 and 500 rpm and any gas
pedal at all made it choke. Finally I stomped the gas to the floor
hard about 5 times and it picked back up and seemed to run and idle
alright.

Today, it's doing the same erratic power loss thing. The tach seems to
drop out when it happens. Has anyone else here had a similar
experience to this? I really hate to start blindly changing out
ignition parts to chase an intermittent problem.

Old May 17th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Lance

My 99 Explorer XLS did this. It was the Mass Air Flower sensor.
Unfortunately, I did not know about this group at the time and incurred a
nice bill for towing and repair at the dealership. Now, your problem may be
different. I would google the MAF sensor and possibly the IAC and see if
either of those have postings with similar problems to yours.

Lance
oups.com...

Old May 17th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain Tripps

"Lance" > wrote in
:

> My 99 Explorer XLS did this. It was the Mass Air Flower sensor.
> Unfortunately, I did not know about this group at the time and
> incurred a nice bill for towing and repair at the dealership. Now,
> your problem may be different. I would google the MAF sensor and
> possibly the IAC and see if either of those have postings with similar
> problems to yours.
>
> Lance

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely try to focus in these areas. I'm
trying to avoid getting stuck an hour from home so I'd prefer to change a
few sensors over just hoping the issue doens't come back.