Chirping 97 explorer

Old December 2nd 04, 03:02 AM
Captian Coleman

Default Chirping 97 explorer

Hi,
I've got a 1997 2WD 4L OHV V-6 explorer with about 105K on the odometer.
Yesterday my truck developed a chirping that is detectable at low RPM and
speeds up with engine and/or driving speed.
My first thought was of course like most, serpentine belt. The belt checked
out OK so I decided to take the belt off and briefly run the engine without
it. The chirp still was present. So that ruled out all the appliances
running off the belt in front of the engine. (power steering, compressor,
alternator etc.)
Using piece of hose as a stethescope, I traced the sound to the back of the
engine. Stumped, I googled chirping explorers and got the usual belt
problem references plus a few to the "flex plate" and the IACV. Using my
hose-scope, I know it's not the IACV. Engine and transmission oil level are
also normal.
Is there anything else I should be considering besides the "flex plate?"
Some of the information I found says that Ford began producing a beefier
flex plate in later models, but I don't know if my EX is new enough to
contain the heavier duty design. I'm assuming changing a flex plate will
involve dropping the transmission. Is there a way to take a look at a flex
plate w/o dropping the transmission?
All replies appreciated.

Old December 2nd 04, 03:18 AM
Captian Coleman

I probably should also state that it makes this noise while the explorer is
motionless regardless of shifter selection (park, neutral, drive, etc). The
noise is also present while driving.
news

Old December 2nd 04, 04:17 AM
John Riggs

How's it running beside the chirping? a gasket perhaps?

Old December 2nd 04, 06:14 AM
Captian Coleman

Everything appears to be running fine. No CEL, stumbling, etc. I've been
doing some more research and found information on chirping noises that is a
result of a faulty camshaft position sensor.
My noise appears to be coming from the top back (close to the firewall)
which is the location of the CPS. I'll have to get my hose-o-scope back in
there tomorrow and see if I can more accurately localize the location of the
chirp.
If I get a stronger sense this may be the problem, I may shotgun it as a new
sensor is only $27 + tax.

Old December 3rd 04, 05:29 AM
Captian Coleman

I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the area where I believe the
camshaft position sensor is located. I think I may try to replace it this
weekend. Has anyone done this job on a 97 ohv v-6? I'd appreciate
suggestions or comment from anyone, especially if you've replaced the
sensor. I'm wondering if removing the upper intake manifold would make the
job easier.

Old December 3rd 04, 06:06 AM
Kevin DeAngelis

CC:

I have the sevice manual for 1995-2002 Ford vehicles on DVD. I wasn't able
to save the information to a file that I can send to you, but the procedure
for replacing the sensor does include R&R of the upper intake manifold.

Kevin

Old December 3rd 04, 06:38 PM
Captian Coleman

To add more information:
The chirping sound is directly related to engine speed. I didn't mention
before that the engine runs kind of rough the first 15-30 seconds or so
after startup but then "feels" fine. JR said I might have a gasket problem.
I'm kinda stumped at this point.
I have a couple of questions:
-What are the symptom differences between a bad camshaft position sensor and
a bad flex plate? A sign of failure for both is an engine chirp. Does a
flex plate chirp in proportion to the speed of the car? A camshaft position
sensor obviously does.
-If I have a bad gasket, what would be the most likely culprit? I've read
of startup roughness being the result of gaskets not being properly sealed
when cold, but once the car starts to head up, the expansion of heated parts
closes the leak. Intake manifold gaskets perhaps? Could a gasket be so far
gone there is metal on metal rubbing somewhere?
Perhaps Mr. Warman could supply a few words.
Thanks.

newsnTrd.13872$6o5.12029@trnddc08...

Old December 3rd 04, 07:21 PM
John Riggs

I only asked because I have, in the past, experienced a small intake
gasket leak that sort of "chirped". It wouldn't have to be big, but it could
make noise.
Now, that was on older vehicles that, in my opinion, were far more tolerant
of such a vacuum leak.

Old January 1st 05, 03:01 AM
98xltman

Back in Feburary I had to change my wife's Cam Positioner Sensor in a 98
Mountaineer. The V8's CPS are in the front part of the engine. While
researching how to replace it for a V8, someone wrote about replacement in
a V6. Their advice was that since on a v6 it's in the rear of the engine by
the firewall, it was best to simply remove the engine hood. Then take off
the large bracket that is above the CPS which holds the coil pack with
ignition wires. With the exception of removing the hood on my V8, it was
exactly how I replaced mine with ease in less than a hour. Be sure to
replace the CPS in the exact position you took it off by some reference
marks on the shaft and the outside metal housing. Good luck and I bet the
CPS is the culprit.

Old May 14th 05, 04:54 PM
Captain Coleman

I ended up replacing the CPS and that fixed my problem. Turning the old CPS
by hand after removal could make it squeak. I guess after 105K miles, the
bearings were getting shot. I have the OHV V-6, and the CPS was buried at
the very back of the engine. The job took several days as I had to remove
both upper and lower intake manifolds. The other annoying thing was that
there were two CPS sensors speced for my engine, and the parts monkey
couldn't determine which one I had until I brought the old one in. The
engine runs better than it had in years, I think the new intake gaskets took
care of some leaks that occurred when the engine was cold. I also cleaned
the fuel injectors since the fuel rail had to be removed. The EGR Valve was
also replaced since it had to come off during the process. Definitely not
an easy job, but doable if you have the time and patience.
lkaboutautos.com...