Hybrid Cars

Old July 8th 05, 04:41 AM
Tyr

Default Hybrid Cars

I'm planning to buy one. I generally know what the benefits are.

Can anybody tell me the disadvantage/s of hybrid cars?

Does the benefit outweighs the disadvantages?

Old July 8th 05, 05:03 AM
TeGGeR®

"Tyr" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> I'm planning to buy one. I generally know what the benefits are.
>
> Can anybody tell me the disadvantage/s of hybrid cars?
>
> Does the benefit outweighs the disadvantages?

Hybrids are very disadvantageful, benefitly speaking.

Sheesh.

If you want to be religious, why don't you just go to church?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 8th 05, 07:36 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

In article
outautos.com>,
"Tyr" > wrote:

> I'm planning to buy one. I generally know what the benefits are.
>
> Can anybody tell me the disadvantage/s of hybrid cars?
>
> Does the benefit outweighs the disadvantages?

I expected more from the 05 Accord Hybrid. My 97 Civic was an elegant
work of engineering. Every component of the car was refined to doing
exactly what it needed to do; nothing more or less. The 06 HAH seems
overly complex and there is obvious cost cutting to keep the price down.
The engine, IMA, and transmission seem very poorly tuned, even buggy.
Downshifting is so slow that car can momentarily loose speed when you
stomp on the gas. The transition from regenerative to mechanical
braking sometimes results in a sudden loss of deceleration.
Regenerative braking turns off in heavy stop and go. The IMA system is
underpowered for the size of the car so it doesn't run for more than a
few seconds at a time. Idling is rough. The engine sometimes stumbles
when leaving auto-stop. The radio is terrible and its console contains
computer systems that prevent its removal. The trunk is surprisingly
short and the rear seat doesn't fold down. The front tires howl loudly
on moderately hard turns. There's no spare tire. A city and freeway
driving mix produces 26 MPG. Highway driving produces 32 MPG.

Positives - Nice leather interior. The ride is quiet and well damped
even with a stiff suspension. It accelerates very fast if you manually
shift or hold the gas pedal down for a long time.
Old July 8th 05, 03:26 PM
Elle

"Kevin McMurtrie" > wrote
snip
> The trunk is surprisingly
> short and the rear seat doesn't fold down.

I saw this yesterday. This would be enough to rule out any car for me.

The big battery has to go somewhere.

> There's no spare tire.

.... and if the lack of trunk space wasn't enough, then having no spare tire
would clinch ruling out this car for me.

Old July 8th 05, 04:03 PM
Tyr

"TeGGeR®" "

To TeGGeR:

I didn't quite get your sarcasm. I really don't know much about hybrid
cars. I'm going to check out the Civic hybrid tonight and expectedly the
salesman would just rant on the advantages.

Old July 8th 05, 07:16 PM
BRaymond

I looked at the Civic Hybrid, but the increase in fuel economy is
minimal. You can get 40 mpg with a manual Civic. I bought the GX
instead, which is extremely cheap to buy fuel for at $1.20 per gallon
in my garage.

Old July 12th 05, 05:24 AM
FanJet

Tyr wrote:
> I'm planning to buy one. I generally know what the benefits are.
>
> Can anybody tell me the disadvantage/s of hybrid cars?
>
> Does the benefit outweighs the disadvantages?

Take a close look at one. There's only one energy source - gasoline. Where's
'hybrid' come into play?

Old July 12th 05, 06:21 AM
Bebop

http://hybridcars.about.com/
Old July 15th 05, 06:26 AM
Gordon McGrew

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 04:24:50 GMT, "FanJet" >
wrote:

>Tyr wrote:
>> I'm planning to buy one. I generally know what the benefits are.
>>
>> Can anybody tell me the disadvantage/s of hybrid cars?
>>
>> Does the benefit outweighs the disadvantages?

>Take a close look at one. There's only one energy source - gasoline. Where's
>'hybrid' come into play?

There are two drive systems.

Old January 31st 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I never knew the Accord Hybrid had no spare. Is this so about the Civic
hybrid too? How can anyone want to own a car without a spare (or can it be
purchased as an accessory at least)?

Two more disadvantages to the hybrids that I have thought about for
awhile...

1 - The extra cost, especially on the Accord really just means that you are
paying for the gas up front so to speak

2 - Batteries for hybrids are incredibly expensive (somewherre around $1000
or so).

k.net...