MFFY du jour...

Old March 15th 05, 08:25 AM
Brent P

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:54:33 -0600,
> (Brent P) wrote:
>
>>I remember getting a few looks when using a handicaped parking space
>>without plates or placards. Just long enough to get my grandfather out of
>>the car, where then my mother would take him inside and then I would go
>>park the car in the boonies. Reversing the operation to leave. Of course I
>>don't know why they were looking, but plate or not, we were using the
>>space for it's intended purpose and only for a few minutes at that.

> While I fully support such use, as it is fully within the spirit of
> the Handicapped Parking Space concept, I'm not so sure that meets the
> letter of the law. AFAIK, there is no exception to the p;lacard/plate
> requirement for IBJAMs.

My mother did get a placard for this purpose. It just took some time to
get one. After all, there were more important issues to deal with.

Old March 15th 05, 02:55 PM
Big Bill

:

:

>>>As citizens,we have every right to make judgements.
>>>Or question a possible misuse of handicapped placards or parking
>>>spaces.

>> Ok, let's take that at face value. You have that right.
>> Is it a smart thing to make those judgements public, and defend them
>> after it's been shown that you don't have the wherewithall to make
>> such judgements accurately?

>But it has NOT been shown.
>People CAN tell when a person is definitely not handicapped,without the
>benefit of medical files.
>The system is definitely abused.

You can? How?

>> I think not.
>> Obviously, others disagree.
>>

>There should be expiration dates on all handicapped tags,with a limited
>lifetime.

In AZ, there is.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 15th 05, 02:57 PM
Big Bill

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:26:39 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Big Bill wrote:
>
>> No, I can't stop you from being an arrogant prick.

>You will have to decide whether you prefer the kind of arrogance that
>causes able-bodied people to steal your handicapped space, or the kind of
>arrogance that causes public-minded people to call them on it.

I'm speaking of the kind of arrogant prick who says he can tell who
has a handicap bny only a few seconds' observation.
You know, you.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 15th 05, 02:59 PM
Big Bill

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:01:54 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>"Matthew Russotto" > wrote in message
>> In article .net>,
>> Skip Elliott Bowman > wrote:
>>>"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
ngin.umich.edu...

>>>The latter isn't arrogance; it's indignation.

>> It's self-righteous arrogance.

>We need that to stand up to the selfish, the jerks, and the thieves. That's
>why it's called indignation; we don't do it for personal gain. What do I
>get if I call a jerk on stealing a handicap spot? Nothing, except the
>satisfaction that I helped someone less fortunate.

First, you need to be able to identify the selfish, the jerks, and the
thieves.
In this case, how do you do that? By a few seconds' observation?
Hardly.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 15th 05, 06:23 PM
Big Bill

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:56:14 -0800, The Real Bev
> wrote:

>Big Bill wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:43:18 -0800, The Real Bev
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Arrogance (like greed) is in the mind of the wimpy observer. Each of us
>> >deeply disapproves of those who are seen to be milking the system in
>> >ways that we ourselves cannot do.

>> I think you need to read better.
>> I have a handicap plate.

>I saw that. You did something really difficult that you should be proud
>of, but you come off as a whiner. Doesn't make sense.

Whining?
What I'm saying is very easy to understand: the average motorist has
no way to determine if a person they observe for a few seconds has a
handicap that will warrant a handicap plate.
Do you disagree? If so, why?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 15th 05, 08:01 PM
MrBill

This has been a mildly entertaining read.

It seems like such a trivial issue when being discussed with physicians
and persons eligible for a Disabled Parking Placard or Distinguishing
License Plate.

A few points I'd like to make are;

Plates/Placards predate the ADA.

Plates are not issues for Temporary Conditions and other than yearly
registration of the vehicle, have no expiration.

In California, vehicles with a Handicapped License Plate are exempt from
weight assessment fees associated with Commercial Plates. Since most
pick up trucks are registered as Commercial Vehicles, they are provided
with a rider for the registration to park in the YELLOW Zones without
regard to time restrictions. (This amounted to a $165 reduction in my
registration fees) (This could also explain why I've observed
Handicapped License Plates on some motor homes & RV's. Not exactly the
vehicle of choice for running errands or MD appointments)

I've yet to find anyone that can precisely examine and diagnose every
single condition of people utilizing Handicapped Parking Spots. (I've
had a few attempt to do so with me before I could even exit my vehicle.
Truly clairvoyant)

With varying degrees of amusement and frustration, being eligible for
and exercising this privilege has probably provided enough fodder to
write a novel on some of the wildest encounters one could imagine for
the past 29 years.

Having gone from profoundly obvious initially to WTF is he doing in that
space with Big Truck Too?, it's sad that some people are looking for a
wrong to right. It is good that some people do pay attention and have
caused the "I'll just be a minute" types to reconsider,, but overall,
it's not worth it.

When I've been challenged, I've been the one to offer to use my phone to
call the local authorities. Twice it actually went that far and I was
never asked by the responding officers to demonstrate my disability. I
was asked for license & registration once and when I used the placard,
the paper work for it.

Usually, as stated a few threads ago, the people using these spaces
without proper entitlement have other baggage. Warrants, parking tickets
unpaid, non current registration, and the ultimate, non current insurance.

Years ago, I pulled into a bank to use a, then newly introduced ATM.
There was along line and 1 Handicapped Space which was occupied by the
newest, most expensive Porsche of the day.

It was a deep space and I pulled in directly behind the Porsche. I was
about 5 people from the front of the line when Mr. Porsche Driver
finished his transaction and approached me and told me to move so he
could exit. I told him I'd just be minute.

He went over to his car and was pacing like a madman.

As I finished my business, he came up and was belching smoke from his
nostrils and demanded I move, NOW!

I said I had some more business in the bank and walked in, got a cup of
coffee, picked up a magazine, and spent a few minutes relaxing. As I was
about to leave, Mr. Porsche driver came in, made a big scene and when he
was finished, I said I had some more business next door.

After another 20 minutes I returned through the bank, looked out the
door and Mr. Porsche was still there fuming like a volcano. I asked the
receptionist for a phone book. As she handed it to me she wanted to know
what number I was looking for. I told her the sheriff's office.

She said she had that number and asked if she could make the call.

While we waited for the SO to arrive, she told me how this Mr. Porsche
driver has been behaving and causing all kinds of trouble.

The sheriff arrived, took one look at the scene and Mr. Porsche driver
got in his face. The sheriff looked at me and motioned for me to stay a
respectable and safe distance.

A few minutes later, 2 more squad cars showed up, and Mr. Porsche driver
is getting the full felony treatment. Plates didn't match and he had a
few warrants for reasons not explained to me.

When it was all over, the Porsche was towed away and Mr. Porsche driver
that was just going to be a minute got to spend a few more months behind
bars.

The bottom line here is I'll be the first to call if someone confronts
me or if I observe anyone using a Handicapped Space with tags or a placard.

It just seems also silly to be getting worked up over parking. But it
does seem to bring the worse out in people.

Surprisingly, I expected someone to mention that "Looks Can Be Deceiving"!

Drive On.
Old March 15th 05, 09:30 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"MrBill" > wrote in message
> This has been a mildly entertaining read.

<snip>

And highly educating as well; at least as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for posting your story--I wanted to cheer after reading it!

Old March 16th 05, 02:42 AM
Jim Yanik

Big Bill > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:56:14 -0800, The Real Bev
> wrote:
>
>>Big Bill wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:43:18 -0800, The Real Bev

>>> I think you need to read better.
>>> I have a handicap plate.

>>I saw that. You did something really difficult that you should be
>>proud of, but you come off as a whiner. Doesn't make sense.

> Whining?
> What I'm saying is very easy to understand: the average motorist has
> no way to determine if a person they observe for a few seconds has a
> handicap that will warrant a handicap plate.
> Do you disagree? If so, why?

Because the average motorist has eyeballs and can observe the offender's
behavior.They may not have a 100% accuracy,but in most cases,will do quite
well.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 16th 05, 04:27 PM
Big Bill

:

>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:56:14 -0800, The Real Bev
> wrote:

>>>I saw that. You did something really difficult that you should be
>>>proud of, but you come off as a whiner. Doesn't make sense.

>> Whining?
>> What I'm saying is very easy to understand: the average motorist has
>> no way to determine if a person they observe for a few seconds has a
>> handicap that will warrant a handicap plate.
>> Do you disagree? If so, why?
>>

>Because the average motorist has eyeballs and can observe the offender's
>behavior.They may not have a 100% accuracy,but in most cases,will do quite
>well.

You keep believing that.
You'll be wrong, but you keep believing it.

As has bene pointed out, there are many handicaps that the average
observer can't determine.
But you keep on believing they can. it will, I'm sure, help your
feeling of superiority.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

MFFY Du Jour Mike Z. Helm Driving 51 April 10th 05 08:30 PM
I Hope That MFFY Peed His Pants Daniel W. Rouse Jr. Driving 10 February 11th 05 06:25 PM
Speeding: the fundamental cause of MFFY Daniel W. Rouse Jr. Driving 82 December 23rd 04 02:10 AM