CJ7 Windshield Wiper Problem

Old March 1st 05, 02:02 AM
Clap Trap

Yes Lee, that's what I want.

Actually Mike, I have a YJ windshield on my CJ. The YJ linkages are
MUCH better, they have good ball joints in them and are significantly
stiffer than the CJ style. I had to retain the CJ motor though since it
is a 3 wire and the YJ has 4. Anyway, I don't think alignment is as
critical. I just wondered if repositioning the passenger side pivot arm
might do it. When I get around to replacing the motor, maybe I'll give
it a shot. If I do and it works, I'll pass it along.

Old March 1st 05, 03:03 PM
Mike Romain

The extra wire on the YJ motor is likely the ground. The CJ motor
grounds through the hinges which can get iffy. Here is a trick, try
adding a ground wire direct to the CJ wiper motor. Mine doubled in
speed when I did this.

And yes, you would have to change the pivot hole's place to use the
stock linkage upside down. Good luck....

Mike

Old March 1st 05, 07:02 PM
Lee Ayrton

Thinking about it more, you might not have to reposition the wiper mount,
if you can get the blades to interleave when they come to the center. You
know, left before right.

Old March 1st 05, 07:16 PM
Mike Romain

The linkages are across the bottom so to move the long one to the top
would mean a longer arm or a closer hole.

The only way I know to successfully move the hole is to cut out the
whole piece about 2" high by 4" long with the hole in the middle and
move the whole works. The holes are up on dimples and the linkage
'will' jam up if they aren't perfectly square on that dimple.

I had to move the hole on my aftermarket frame, they put the dimple just
slightly in the wrong place so the linkage jams up. Thankfully I had a
spare hole from my old frame that I hadn't tossed out.

Mike

Old March 21st 05, 04:25 AM
Clap Trap

Just to follow up, I replaced the wiper motor today. There's no easy
way to flip the wipers the way I wanted. It would require extensive
mods to the pivot mounts to make it work. Not worth the trouble.