Retorquing

Old January 26th 05, 05:09 PM
Rojo2G

Default Retorquing

My repair book doesn't mention retorquing the head and or the manifold after
replacment. What is the proper amount of time/miles to wait? I am also going to
set the valves, so that is a good time for me to retorque. The valve cover is
covered in tubes and hoses otherwise.
Thank you Rojo
Old January 26th 05, 05:59 PM
Mike Romain

Like several folks have mentioned when you asked the first time, just
torque it properly in the right order and in the right stages like the
book says the first time and you should never have to retorque it again.

My long 6 calls for torquing in stages. I decided 3 worked well,
finishing at 85 ft lb.. The current gasket has 5 years of heavy off
road running on it and is leak free.

I do the manifold in stages too. I find the long ones need that and
sometimes even a retorque in a month or two.

Once the valves are set at 0 lash, they also need no more attention
unless they get noisy.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 26th 05, 11:20 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

Retorquing of head bolts has in many cases fallen by the wayside, as
long as you used high-quality modern parts and followed the specified
procedure the first time.

If there is something either antique or exotic about the engine, you
might want to interpolate among the shop manuals (preferably an
honest-to-betsy factory one), the instructions that came with the head
gasket, and plausible-sounding field experience written up on the Web
or in club or specialty publications dealing authoritatively with your
engine.

Some background:
http://www.federal-mogul.com/cda/con...9_7465,00.html
Cheers,