Light bulb question -- Daniel Stern?

Old November 2nd 04, 04:19 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

I would have been surprised if there were no safeguards.

DAS
---

[..........]

Old November 2nd 04, 04:22 PM
Minnie Bannister

I haven't lived in Australia for almost 20 years now, but one could vote
anywhere in one's "electoral district" (I'm using the US terminology),
not just in one's own "precinct": evey polling place had the list of
registered voters (compulsory registration and voting. Yeah!) for that
electoral district, and they crosschecked the lists later for dupes and
no-shows. If there was an ID requirement at all (I don't recall now for
sure), it probably was simply the document acknowledging one's
registration, there being no system of photo IDs anyway.

And of course they used a preferential voting system, so that a vote for
a "third party" candidate wasn't a wasted vote.

AND there were no radio/tv/newspaper reports or comments on the progress
of the election until the polls had closed nationwide (2-hr time
difference from East to West).

MB

Whether you vote Democrat or Republican today, the country will still be
run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your elected
representatives.

On 11/02/04 07:39 am Dori A Schmetterling put fingers to keyboard and
launched the following message into cyberspace:

Old November 2nd 04, 04:22 PM
Minnie Bannister

Old November 2nd 04, 04:42 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Minnie Bannister" > wrote
>I haven't lived in Australia for almost 20 years now, but one could vote
>anywhere in one's "electoral district" (I'm using the US terminology), not
>just in one's own "precinct": evey polling place had the list of registered
>voters (compulsory registration and voting. Yeah!) for that electoral
>district, and they crosschecked the lists later for dupes and no-shows. If
>there was an ID requirement at all (I don't recall now for sure), it
>probably was simply the document acknowledging one's registration, there
>being no system of photo IDs anyway.

Actually, in WA state, you can walk into any polling place to vote.
They all have the information to construct a ballot for every precinct
in the state. The ballot is then sent to the proper county for validation
and final tallying, which takes 1-2 weeks (or more, if recounts are needed.)

Floyd

Old November 2nd 04, 04:42 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Minnie Bannister" > wrote

Old November 2nd 04, 11:10 PM
James C. Reeves

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message ...

| Yeah - but I know you have offices in several places. I just want to
| know how many different places you are registered in besides that
| absentee one you just did and how many times, total, you're going to
| vote - I know all about you democrats!! Like they say in Chicago, "Vote
| early and often!" 8^) Seriously - dya know that in California, it's
| illegal for them to ask a voter to show ID (might intimidate them)!!
| What idiots. Wonder how many illegals will be voting there.

Same in Maryland. They ask your name and address (guess they never heard of a
phone book) and off to vote you go. No ID required. Amazing. Hard to have a
lot of faith in the process when I could say I'm anybody. I guess that's the
only way dems can win. We surely wouldn't want people to provide
identification, that's way to intrusive. Unreal!

Old November 2nd 04, 11:10 PM
James C. Reeves

Old November 2nd 04, 11:12 PM
James C. Reeves

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...

| (Besides, I already voted.)

I thought you lived in Canada. Canadians voting in the US these days? Or is
it only Canadian Democrats that vote in the US!

Old November 2nd 04, 11:12 PM
James C. Reeves

Old November 2nd 04, 11:14 PM
James C. Reeves

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message ...
| Bill Putney wrote:
|
| By the same logic, the gas that I use to drive to vote or the shoe
| leather that I use up walking to the polling booth is a poll tax.

As long as it's deductible! :-)