question about '91 miata driveshaft

Old December 12th 05, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default question about '91 miata driveshaft

I just pulled the rear end, driveshaft and transmission from the 1991
miata. I noticed that the U-Joints on the driveshaft have grease fittings.

Did any of the miata U-Joints come from the factory like this? I don't
remember seeing them before on other models.

Thanks!

Pat
Old December 13th 05, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"pws" > wrote
> I just pulled the rear end, driveshaft and transmission from the 1991
> miata. I noticed that the U-Joints on the driveshaft have grease fittings.
>
> Did any of the miata U-Joints come from the factory like this? I don't
> remember seeing them before on other models.

Interesting. Neither the '90 nor '97 factory workshop manuals show or
mention grease fittings. It's too cold for me to crawl under one of the cars
and take look. Maybe someone in Florida could do that after finals.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

Old December 13th 05, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Ken Lyons wrote:

> Interesting. Neither the '90 nor '97 factory workshop manuals show or
> mention grease fittings. It's too cold for me to crawl under one of the cars
> and take look. Maybe someone in Florida could do that after finals.

I realized that it wasn't on the miata.net service schedule. I had never
bothered to look because of that on my first miata, but it would have to
be listed as a thing to do if the U-Joints came from the factory with
grease fittings.

What should have clued me in was the "MADE IN U.S.A." in big letters on
the U-Joints themselves. I checked the vehicle records, (this was a car
that was bought to be parted out), and sure enough, the driveshaft had
been replaced with one that was supposedly "balanced".
Aren't they all balanced? Anyway, that explains it.

Thanks!

Pat
Old December 13th 05, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Ken Lyons" > wrote:

>"pws" > wrote
>> I just pulled the rear end, driveshaft and transmission from the 1991
>> miata. I noticed that the U-Joints on the driveshaft have grease fittings.
>>
>> Did any of the miata U-Joints come from the factory like this? I don't
>> remember seeing them before on other models.

>Interesting. Neither the '90 nor '97 factory workshop manuals show or
>mention grease fittings. It's too cold for me to crawl under one of the cars
>and take look. Maybe someone in Florida could do that after finals.

Well, it is too cold here in Florida too. Even if I had a clue how
grease fittings looked.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old December 13th 05, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

http://mcisupply.com/_borders/GREASE%20FITTING.gif

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old December 13th 05, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lanny never misses a beat! nice pic but maybe you should have told Leon that
it was "enlarged to show detail" just to be safe.

Chris
99BBB

Old December 13th 05, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Lanny never misses a beat! nice pic but maybe you should have told Leon that
> it was "enlarged to show detail" just to be safe.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Heh, might want to show him a picture of a grease gun with fittings
while you are at it.

This driveshaft is one of the parts that I am selling.

Since this has grease fittings on the U-Joints, I am assuming that the
entire driveshaft is aftermarket.

I am wondering if this makes it more or less valuable than a stock one.
I guess I'll see. At least it only has 30,000 miles on it instead of
over 100,000 like the rest of the car.

It seems like having grease fittings on the U-Joints would be a good
thing in general, but I have still never had one fail on a miata.

Pat
Old December 13th 05, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> nice pic but maybe you should have told Leon that
> it was "enlarged to show detail" just to be safe.

No way. Then he'd want to know how much it had been enlarged, and
without knowing his screen size and resolution I'd never have a
satisfactory answer. I tried but failed to find a picture of one being
measured with a micrometer.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old December 14th 05, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>In article >,
> (Leon van Dommelen) wrote:
>
>> Even if I had a clue how
>> grease fittings looked.

http://mcisupply.com/_borders/GREASE%20FITTING.gif

I assume it is some sort of valve through which you enter grease.
And the grease gun mentioned by Pat is the way to get it in.

I seem to have an intuition for these sort of technical things.

Old December 14th 05, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:

> I seem to have an intuition for these sort of technical things.

You have The Knack, Leon.

http://home.pcisys.net/~tbc/hacks/knack.htm

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis

Miata hesitating. HELP! yabadabadooo... Mazda 6 September 29th 05 03:45 AM
Miata as a toad FredC Mazda 5 November 7th 04 10:07 PM
Driveshaft Installation Problem Chopface Honda 11 November 4th 04 05:59 AM
Driveshaft Stuck in Hub Chopface Honda 3 September 28th 04 12:51 PM