BOOM goes the envirosafe plant....

Old October 17th 15, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default BOOM goes the envirosafe plant....

OOPs....

Enviro-Safe Refrigerants Inc. of Pekin, Illinois, has agreed to pay a
$300,000 civil penalty and cease marketing and sale of unapproved
flammable hydrocarbon refrigerants as substitutes for ozone depleting
substances (ODS). ODS are being phased out of production and
importation because they deplete the Earth’s stratospheric ozone layer.
As part of the United States’ transition away from ODS, the
Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Significant New Alternatives
Policy (SNAP) Program evaluates and approves substitute refrigerants so
that they can safely and legally replace ODS. EPA evaluates these
potential substitute refrigerants according to health, safety and
environmental criteria. The Clean Air Act addresses ODS and establishes
standards and requirements where a substitute for an ODS is sought to be
introduced to the marketplace.

According to the two-count complaint, filed simultaneously with the
settlement today in the Central District of Illinois, Enviro-Safe
allegedly violated Clean Air Act requirements through the marketing and
sale of two flammable hydrocarbon refrigerant products, ES 22a and ES
502a, as substitutes for ODS without providing the requisite information
to EPA for review and approval. EPA has not approved any flammable
hydrocarbon as a replacement for ODS in systems not specifically
designed for flammable refrigerants and has warned that use of flammable
refrigerants in those systems presents a risk of fire or explosion.

“With this settlement, Enviro-Safe will pay a penalty, stop its
nationwide sales of unapproved flammable refrigerants and ozone
depleting substances, and notify consumers of potential safety hazards
from these products,” said Assistant Attorney General John C. Cruden of
the Department of Justice’s Environment and Natural Resources Division.
“This civil action illustrates how the requirements of the Clean Air
Act guard consumer safety and the health of our environment each and
every day.”

“The actions Enviro-Safe will be required to take under this consent
decree will protect consumers and the environment from a potentially
dangerous product,” said Regional Administrator Susan Hedman of EPA.

In addition to paying a penalty and halting non-compliant sales, the
company will also state on the label of any flammable refrigerant, its
website and other marketing materials that the refrigerant is “flammable
to an open flame or spark” and to “proceed with caution if used in
systems designed for non-flammable refrigerants.” Labels must also
include any use restrictions for approved substitutes. The company will
notify by mail all known past customers that purchased products labeled
“ES 12a,” “ES 22a” and “ES 502a” of potential safety hazards associated
with such products.

The consent decree is subject to a 30-day comment period and final
approval by the court. A copy of the consent decree is available on the
Department of Justice website at www.usdoj.gov/enrd/Consent_Decrees.html.

ES12a = HC-12a = OZ12a - sold as a "drop-in" replacement for Freon12

This started the investigation....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X7ddGwpqfY

--
Steve W.
Old October 18th 15, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 20:56:32 -0400, "Steve W." >
wrote:

> [...]
>company will also state on the label of any flammable refrigerant, its
>website and other marketing materials that the refrigerant is “flammable
>to an open flame or spark” and to “proceed with caution if used in
>systems designed for non-flammable refrigerants.” Labels must also
>include any use restrictions for approved substitutes. The company will
>notify by mail all known past customers that purchased products labeled
>“ES 12a,” “ES 22a” and “ES 502a” of potential safety hazards associated
>with such products.
>
>The consent decree is subject to a 30-day comment period and final
>approval by the court. A copy of the consent decree is available on the
>Department of Justice website at www.usdoj.gov/enrd/Consent_Decrees.html.
>
>ES12a = HC-12a = OZ12a - sold as a "drop-in" replacement for Freon12

The usual BS by the Gvt. No indication of any danger to the users.
But a problem at the factory... By analogy, if a Oil refinery blows up
Chevron needs to send letters to all gasoline users advising them that
gasoline is flammable and further that it's not safe to use gasoline.
Old October 19th 15, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> [...]
>> notify by mail all known past customers that purchased products labeled
>> “ES 12a,” “ES 22a” and “ES 502a” of potential safety hazards associated
>> with such products.
>>
>> The consent decree is subject to a 30-day comment period and final
>> approval by the court. A copy of the consent decree is available on the
>> Department of Justice website at www.usdoj.gov/enrd/Consent_Decrees.html.
>>
>> ES12a = HC-12a = OZ12a - sold as a "drop-in" replacement for Freon12
>>

>> This started the investigation....
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X7ddGwpqfY

> The usual BS by the Gvt. No indication of any danger to the users.
> But a problem at the factory... By analogy, if a Oil refinery blows up
> Chevron needs to send letters to all gasoline users advising them that
> gasoline is flammable and further that it's not safe to use gasoline.

How about a video by one of the guys who pushed for ES12a as a replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0K1WPCWm2k
--
Steve W.
Old October 20th 15, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 23:22:52 -0400, "Steve W." >
wrote:

> [...]
>>> “ES 12a,” “ES 22a” and “ES 502a” of potential safety hazards associated
>>> with such products.
>>>
>>> The consent decree is subject to a 30-day comment period and final
>>> approval by the court. A copy of the consent decree is available on the
>>> Department of Justice website at www.usdoj.gov/enrd/Consent_Decrees.html.
>>>
>>> ES12a = HC-12a = OZ12a - sold as a "drop-in" replacement for Freon12
>>>

>>> This started the investigation....
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X7ddGwpqfY

>> The usual BS by the Gvt. No indication of any danger to the users.
>> But a problem at the factory... By analogy, if a Oil refinery blows up
>> Chevron needs to send letters to all gasoline users advising them that
>> gasoline is flammable and further that it's not safe to use gasoline.

>How about a video by one of the guys who pushed for ES12a as a replacement

That's not really the recommended way to use it.

What would happen if you were in a car in which you discharged a full
can of 134a and sat there breathing it?

jk, boom or bust? Nathan W. Collier[_4_] Jeep 15 February 5th 08 05:45 PM
Testing 3-2-1 <boom!> -- just ignore Pink Freud©® Jeep 0 January 28th 08 10:02 PM
Boom tony lewis 4x4 0 November 27th 07 09:38 AM
mazda mpv boom Nina Harris General 0 May 29th 04 11:56 PM