'96 XJ 4 liter automatic

Old July 27th 05, 08:01 PM
Billy Ray

Default '96 XJ 4 liter automatic

Guys,

My next door neighbor drove home from work the other night with no apparent
problems, parked the XJ and when he came out Tuesday morning it would crank
but not start. He managed to break the rotor button during inspection but
has since replaced the rotor and cap.

He just came outside (the rain just stopped) and I haven't gone to look at
it yet. We aren't able to push it into my garage because he it too close to
a mini van owned by another neighbor who is in the hospital.

Stop laughing, we are two middle aged men who would rather not damage
ourselves pushing a Jeep uphill....

Any ideas about what I should look for?

--
(remove SPAM)
2002 Jeep WJ 4 Liter Automatic

Old July 27th 05, 08:10 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke...tdcsensor.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 28th 05, 01:39 AM
Billy Ray

Bill, as always, you were right. We spent 2 hours all together messing with
this thing. We eventually did push it uphill so we could roll it into my
garage (it was raining).

We couldn't find the sensor and decided we might be able to see more clearly
if we jacked the Jeep up and put it on stands. Still nothing on the
passenger side that looked like a sensor in sight, nothing bolted to the
bell housing. I'm not sure why I did it but I looked over to the other
(driver's) side and there it was right in front of our faces. A few minutes
to crawl out and assemble a collection of 1/4 inch sockets and extensions
and the sensor was out.

Ed picked one up at NAPA. They gave him about 40% off because he works at a
car dealership but it was still close to $70 including tax.

When I checked my WJ's driver side there was nothing there, I found it on
the passenger side... They are easy enough to find when you know what to
look for but we hadn't a clue beforehand.

Old July 28th 05, 11:50 AM
Jo Bo

"Billy Ray" > wrote in message
> Bill, as always, you were right. We spent 2 hours all together messing
> with this thing. We eventually did push it uphill so we could roll it
> into my garage (it was raining).
>
> > Ed picked one up at NAPA. They gave him about 40% off because he works
> > at a

> car dealership but it was still close to $70 including tax.

I priced one at the dealer and it was around $50. That's why I avoid NAPA if
possible. I just checked AutoZone, for that XJ it's $54.99. See he
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...N&PageSyn c=4
I bought a throttle position sensor at AZ for my 99 xj and it was the EXACT
same one as the original so it's not a quality thing. I know for $39 a
rebuilt starter is a bad one repainted.

JoBo

Old July 28th 05, 03:30 PM
Billy Ray

The local autozone did not carry one in stock.

> I priced one at the dealer and it was around $50. That's why I avoid NAPA
> if possible. I just checked AutoZone, for that XJ it's $54.99. See he
> http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...N&PageSyn c=4
> I bought a throttle position sensor at AZ for my 99 xj and it was the
> EXACT same one as the original so it's not a quality thing. I know for $39
> a rebuilt starter is a bad one repainted.
>
> JoBo

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 liter automatic Billy Ray Jeep 17 July 1st 05 08:09 PM
Automatic Shift Patterns [email protected] Antique cars 1 February 3rd 05 09:20 PM
A6 1.9 TDi Automatic OiS Audi 0 November 23rd 04 10:21 PM
e36 automatic air conditioning controls Q boy BMW 2 October 15th 04 12:08 AM
e36 automatic air conditioning controls Q boy BMW 0 October 14th 04 06:30 PM