Bimmer auto trans. still bummers?

Old February 2nd 08, 01:39 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
kpb

Default Bimmer auto trans. still bummers?

A while back someone posted about the 2000 323i auto transmission
being junk. Apparently this is well known.

There was some debate about the 2003-2005 series E46 auto trannies.

Are they also junk? Or are they OK (as in will they last 200K+ miles
if they have the fluid changed every 50K or so).

He was under the impression that bimmers were really "bummers". The
regulars here became quite infuriated at this comment of his.

Anyway, does anyone know? Are bimmer trannies still bummers?
Old February 2nd 08, 02:09 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Choam Nomsky

you again???
sigh.

Old February 2nd 08, 05:52 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_8_]

"kpb" wrote
>A while back someone posted about the 2000 323i auto transmission
> being junk. Apparently this is well known.

It is also well known by now that you're a douchebag that has nothing better
to do but slam bmw. It's OK, we get it. You will obviously never buy a
bmw. Give it a rest. We don't care. No one here claims that bmw is the
most reliable car in the world, and if you're looking for such car, bmw is
not for you.

Pete

Old February 2nd 08, 08:28 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
E Brown

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 17:39:28 -0800 (PST), kpb >
wrote:

>A while back someone posted

[snip]

"Someone." That's hilarious.
epbrown
--
How can you know where I'm at if you haven't been where I been?
Can you see where I'm coming from? "How I Could Just Kill A Man" Cypress Hill
Old February 2nd 08, 04:48 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
kpb

On Feb 2, 3:28*am, E Brown > wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 17:39:28 -0800 (PST), kpb >
> wrote:
>
> >A while back someone posted

> [snip]
>
> * * * * "Someone." That's hilarious.
> * * * * epbrown
> -- *
> How can you know where I'm at if you haven't been where I been?
> Can you see where I'm coming from? "How I Could Just Kill A Man" Cypress Hill

Yes, "someone".

Not me, as I have no experience with 323s at all.

I was wondering if any new information came about since its been
months since I've been here.

I haven't heard anything about the 325i or 330i which I am STILL
considering.

So I might very well buy a BMW. Although I am off put by the
defensiveness of some of the posters here.

And the paranoid-ness.

I had posted questions here for a few weeks before some guy wrote
about the "bmw is a bummer" and gave as a reason his failed
transmission. If my trannie failed so soon, I would be ****ed too.

I asked him a couple questions and questions to the group about the
trannie issue. Some some brilliant poster here (you?, it probably was
a worm like you) stated that we (the 'bummer' poster and me) must be
the same person since we were both interested in trannie issues. Nice
logic! I had never mentioned the issue of its 'bummer' trannies until
he gave his history with them.

Anyway, I guess there is nothing new. I am still interested in a
BMW. The ones owned by my friends haven't failed yet. Althoug they
are still in the warranty period.

You have to wonder about a make with owners so paranoid about its
reliability and posters asking questions about such.
Old February 2nd 08, 05:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Choam Nomsky

In case you haven't caught on... we find YOU to be an ass... so get lost-
with or without your bummer.

Old February 2nd 08, 06:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article
kpb > wrote:
> I asked him a couple questions and questions to the group about the
> trannie issue. Some some brilliant poster here (you?, it probably was
> a worm like you) stated that we (the 'bummer' poster and me) must be
> the same person since we were both interested in trannie issues. Nice
> logic! I had never mentioned the issue of its 'bummer' trannies until
> he gave his history with them.

Put a search on Ebay for the transmission in question. See what they fetch
secondhand. If the prices are sky high you'll have your answer. In the UK
there's little demand for secondhand ZF autos so they just fetch what
you'd expect.

--
*People want trepanners like they want a hole in the head*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 2nd 08, 09:21 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

kpb > wrote:
>A while back someone posted about the 2000 323i auto transmission
>being junk. Apparently this is well known.

All automatic transmissions are junk. Why would someone spend all the
money for a performance car and then put an automatic transmission in it?
Learn to shift and you'll be a lot happier.
--scott
Old February 3rd 08, 01:09 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jack[_13_]

I would concur with that conclusion that it takes about three automatic
transmissions to last as long as one manual.

Definiitely not the choice of people who intend to keep their cars for the
duration.

Old February 3rd 08, 01:22 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
TPr

The mans dead right - Although with the amount of driving I do, a manual is
out of the question.

Normal road car automatics of any kind are inherently a ****weak design by
nature and cannot handle the continued and relentless abuse a decent manual
box can.

Autos and semi autos built specifically for race cars are another story all
together.