auto transmission service

Old November 26th 07, 05:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
kpb

Default auto transmission service

Is the E46 auto capable of having the trannie fluid changed?

I thought someone said that that the fluid is considered "lifetime",
meaning you don't change it.

Lifetime thus means about 80K miles, I guess. That's when the
transmission would likely fail.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should go ahead and buy an auto.
Manuals are rarer than hen's teeth and I kind of like the steptronic
shifting.

But obviously, if it's totally ridiculous (for example, the new E90s
have NO dip stick! So what happens if the oil level sensor screws up
(as one poster's here did)), then I'll have to think of something
else.

Old November 26th 07, 05:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
kpb

On Nov 26, 12:32 pm, kpb > wrote:
> Is the E46 auto capable of having the trannie fluid changed?
>
> I thought someone said that that the fluid is considered "lifetime",
> meaning you don't change it.
>
> Lifetime thus means about 80K miles, I guess. That's when the
> transmission would likely fail.
>
> I'm just trying to figure out if I should go ahead and buy an auto.
> Manuals are rarer than hen's teeth and I kind of like the steptronic
> shifting.
>
> But obviously, if it's totally ridiculous (for example, the new E90s
> have NO dip stick! So what happens if the oil level sensor screws up
> (as one poster's here did)), then I'll have to think of something
> else.

Now I have an addendum:!

the dealer confirmed it's "lifetime". Great. So you can't change it?

How about manual shift? Can you change the gear oil? Or is that not
as important?

Maybe I should stick to manual then.

I almost feel I should buy a new one, that way I'd know that it's
taken care of.

I have a feeling they don't recommend the first oil change before
about 15,000 miles or so. So if I buy used, that's what I'd get.

Only problem is New BMWs don't even have a dipstick, have stupid run
flat tires and no spare tire.

Weird company.
Old November 26th 07, 06:29 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

kpb > wrote:
>the dealer confirmed it's "lifetime". Great. So you can't change it?

You can change it, but the dealer won't pay for it during the free
maintenance period.

>How about manual shift? Can you change the gear oil? Or is that not
>as important?

You can change that too. And it's just as important.

>Maybe I should stick to manual then.

I think you should, but not because BMW has decided the fluid is
"lifetime fill."

>I almost feel I should buy a new one, that way I'd know that it's
>taken care of.

Considered a Mini?
--scott
Old November 26th 07, 07:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
kpb

On Nov 26, 1:29 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> kpb > wrote:
> >the dealer confirmed it's "lifetime". Great. So you can't change it?

> You can change it, but the dealer won't pay for it during the free
> maintenance period.
>
> >How about manual shift? Can you change the gear oil? Or is that not
> >as important?

> You can change that too. And it's just as important.
>
> >Maybe I should stick to manual then.

> I think you should, but not because BMW has decided the fluid is
> "lifetime fill."
>
> >I almost feel I should buy a new one, that way I'd know that it's
> >taken care of.

> Considered a Mini?
> --scott

So you can tell the dealer to change it, it isn't impossible to
change? That would be good then.

Old November 26th 07, 07:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.

"kpb" > wrote in message
> On Nov 26, 1:29 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>> kpb > wrote:
>> >the dealer confirmed it's "lifetime". Great. So you can't change it?

>> You can change it, but the dealer won't pay for it during the free
>> maintenance period.
>>
>> >How about manual shift? Can you change the gear oil? Or is that not
>> >as important?

>> You can change that too. And it's just as important.
>>
>> >Maybe I should stick to manual then.

>> I think you should, but not because BMW has decided the fluid is
>> "lifetime fill."
>>
>> >I almost feel I should buy a new one, that way I'd know that it's
>> >taken care of.

>> Considered a Mini?
>> --scott
>> --
>> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

> So you can tell the dealer to change it, it isn't impossible to
> change? That would be good then.

Last time I checked, the OEM BMW auto trans fluid was very expensive (ca.
$300). I had my dealer change my E46 manual 5 speed with Redline MTL which
I bought for about $24.00 - the dealer charge was for one hour labor.

Tom K.

Old November 26th 07, 08:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_8_]

"kpb" wrote
> So you can tell the dealer to change it, it isn't impossible to
> change? That would be good then.

It can certainly be changed. If the dealer refuses to do it, you can take
it to an independent mechanic who will do it. But in all honestly, I think
there is more to this tranny issue than just the fluid change alone. What
I'm saying is that even if you change the tranny oil every 1k miles, it's
not guarantee that it will be trouble-free.

As for the manual tranny and rear differential, I changed mine at 40k miles
and plan on doing it again in another 30-40k.

Pete

Old November 26th 07, 08:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob Smitter

"Tom K." > wrote:

> Last time I checked, the OEM BMW auto trans fluid was very expensive (ca.
> $300). I had my dealer change my E46 manual 5 speed with Redline MTL
> which I bought for about $24.00 - the dealer charge was for one hour
> labor.

And if you do a little research you will find that AmsOil ATF meets the
specs
for all the high-priced fluids BMW sells. It is about $8-9 US per quart.

Old November 26th 07, 08:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

"kpb" > wrote in message
> On Nov 26, 12:32 pm, kpb > wrote:
>> Is the E46 auto capable of having the trannie fluid changed?
>>
>> I thought someone said that that the fluid is considered "lifetime",
>> meaning you don't change it.
>>
>> Lifetime thus means about 80K miles, I guess. That's when the
>> transmission would likely fail.
>>
>> I'm just trying to figure out if I should go ahead and buy an auto.
>> Manuals are rarer than hen's teeth and I kind of like the steptronic
>> shifting.
>>
>> But obviously, if it's totally ridiculous (for example, the new E90s
>> have NO dip stick! So what happens if the oil level sensor screws up
>> (as one poster's here did)), then I'll have to think of something
>> else.

> Now I have an addendum:!
>
> the dealer confirmed it's "lifetime". Great. So you can't change it?

Once true. BMW has backed off and now recommends 100K changes on auto trans
(probably twice the interval that might contribute to extended life).
Manual still "lifetime." No more difficult than any auto trans to service.

> How about manual shift? Can you change the gear oil? Or is that not
> as important?

Easy to change. Takes approx 1.5 quarts of Synthetic D4 ATF (for easier
shifting when cold) or Redline MTL (for better lubrication ... can't rush a
cold transmission).

> Maybe I should stick to manual then.
>
> I almost feel I should buy a new one, that way I'd know that it's
> taken care of.
>
> I have a feeling they don't recommend the first oil change before
> about 15,000 miles or so. So if I buy used, that's what I'd get.

Unless the previous owner felt 15K was a bit much.

R / John

Old November 26th 07, 10:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Choam Nomsky[_4_]

Manual and auto should be changed at least every 50k.
I changed ALL the fluid in the car (330xi) at 50k, will do it again every
30k from now on.
Redline fluids all the way.
I would be VERY reluctant to put anything other than OEM (which is way too
$$)
or Motul, or Redline.

But it is your $$.

Old November 26th 07, 11:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Bob Smitter wrote:

>"Tom K." > wrote:
>
>> Last time I checked, the OEM BMW auto trans fluid was very expensive (ca.
>> $300). I had my dealer change my E46 manual 5 speed with Redline MTL
>> which I bought for about $24.00 - the dealer charge was for one hour
>> labor.

>And if you do a little research you will find that AmsOil ATF meets the
>specs
>for all the high-priced fluids BMW sells. It is about $8-9 US per quart.

Most people need someone to do this job for them, though. It's not as
easy as doing engine oil and filter.

A couple years ago, when I asked the dealer about doing this, they
asted like a was nuts, finally settling on something like $1200 to do
the job.

An independent "German car" shop refused to do it at all. "Take it to
the dealer", they told me.

Transmission service Sasha Technology 4 February 4th 07 01:13 PM
PT Transmission Service Chrysler 3 January 30th 06 06:53 PM
Muncie Transmission Service [email protected] Ford Mustang 0 August 18th 05 04:53 AM
transmission service for 95 740 Edgar Vaughn BMW 2 February 4th 05 12:07 AM
Transmission Service Wild Bill Saturn 15 June 21st 04 12:50 PM