99 XLT replacing brake pads advice

Old December 8th 04, 12:16 PM

Default 99 XLT replacing brake pads advice

I have a 99 XLT 4X4 and at 34K miles I think I might have to change the
front brakes soon. I wanted to do this myself. The last time I did my
own brake job was on my 91 Crown Vic about 8 years ago but that was a
straight forward job, no 4x4 or ABS. I will get my rotors cut at a
machine shop but I just wanted to know any tricks getting the rotor off
and do I need that special tool to push the caliper back in? I read
somewhere that there is a special rachet-type tool to for the caliper
piston to be pushed back in. Plus any othe radvice would be appreciated
..Thanks

Old December 8th 04, 02:42 PM
sehaare

Only 34K on a 99...wow. I just did my 98 XLT 4X4. 2 bolts to get the caliper
off (easy). To get the rotor off you will need to remove the piece that the
calipers bolt to. This piece is again just two bolts but I couldn't get them
to break loose with my 1/2 inch socket wrench so I had to use a big breaker
bar and some penetrant (mine has 100K on it so you might not have that
problem).
They came out though with no damage. I compressed the calipers with a
c-clamp and some channel locks (you have dual piston, I probably could have
done it just with the C-clamp but it was faster using both). I was going to
have my rotors cut but new ones were only about $25 each at PEP Boys so I
went that route. I haven't got around to doing the rears yet.

HTH
Steve

oups.com...