Tachometer

Old June 4th 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Tachometer

In a four stroke engine, does the tachometer (or the ECU) measure and
report crankshaft rpm or engine rpm? Obviously, the crankshaft rotates
twice for every time the engine goes through a full cycle. So a
reading of 1750 rpm could mean the crankshaft is rotating 1750 times
per minute and the engine is going through 875 cycles per minute, or
that the engine is going through 1750 cycles per minute and the
crankshaft is rotating 3500 times per minute.

Since, I believe, the trigger comes from the ignition circuit (in a
spark engine) I'm inclined to think the reading is engine cycles per
minute. But various places I've looked on the web imply (but don't
specifically say) that it's crankshaft revolutions per minute.

Hopefully someone here can clear up my confusion.

Thanks,
Rob

Old June 4th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jun 4, 12:33 am, wrote:
> In a four stroke engine, does the tachometer (or the ECU) measure and
> report crankshaft rpm or engine rpm? Obviously, the crankshaft rotates
> twice for every time the engine goes through a full cycle. So a
> reading of 1750 rpm could mean the crankshaft is rotating 1750 times
> per minute and the engine is going through 875 cycles per minute, or
> that the engine is going through 1750 cycles per minute and the
> crankshaft is rotating 3500 times per minute.
>
> Since, I believe, the trigger comes from the ignition circuit (in a
> spark engine) I'm inclined to think the reading is engine cycles per
> minute. But various places I've looked on the web imply (but don't
> specifically say) that it's crankshaft revolutions per minute.
>
> Hopefully someone here can clear up my confusion.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

The convention is crankshaft revolutions. Even if the tach drive is
taken from the camshaft, the device is then calibrated to crankshaft
revolutions.

Tachometer [email protected] Driving 24 June 6th 07 05:03 AM
tachometer Anthony W VW air cooled 0 May 19th 06 11:18 PM
Why you should never buy a car without a tachometer Ted B. Driving 112 September 19th 05 04:09 AM
Tachometer RhinoJockey VW air cooled 1 August 1st 05 11:18 PM
Tachometer Speedy Jim VW air cooled 7 April 7th 05 05:35 PM