What rear end gear??

Old May 28th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Malibu81

Default What rear end gear??

I have been in a wheelchair for about 10 years now and i built an 81
malibu with a 406 sbc, Edelbrock RPM heads, Tunnel Ram w/2-450
Holleys, full MSD setup, cam is crane 300 dur 510 lift, with a Pete
Jackson Gear Drive, stall is
2800-3200 th350 trans, i am currently running the stock 7.25 inch 10
bolt w/ a spool (poor mans posi) hahaha and 3.08 gears, i have
lakewood lift bars also. It
gets out of the hole good with the stall and the torque of the 406
but
my friends all give me crap about my 3.08 gears. dont hear em whining
about it when i blow their doors off though. what should i do? keep
taking the crap or go to a diff gear? what will it do to my setup?
how
would the car perform, and what do ya think i am running for hp out
of
it? its a 1972 block w 2 bolt mains.

Thank You All
Brett B.

Old May 28th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

A smaller diameter diff gear/ring gear would give you better miles per
gallon and probally slow you up a little bit getting off the mark.But,as
long as you enjoy blowing their doors off,why change it?
cuhulin

Old May 28th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
maxwedge[_35_]

You up the gears in that to say 4.11 and put slicks on you won't get
many runs on that ring and pinion, very weak diff.

--
maxwedge
maxwedge's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...p?userid=19971

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old May 28th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Malibu81 wrote:
> I have been in a wheelchair for about 10 years now and i built an 81
> malibu with a 406 sbc, Edelbrock RPM heads, Tunnel Ram w/2-450
> Holleys, full MSD setup, cam is crane 300 dur 510 lift, with a Pete
> Jackson Gear Drive, stall is
> 2800-3200 th350 trans, i am currently running the stock 7.25 inch 10
> bolt w/ a spool (poor mans posi) hahaha and 3.08 gears, i have
> lakewood lift bars also. It
> gets out of the hole good with the stall and the torque of the 406
> but
> my friends all give me crap about my 3.08 gears. dont hear em whining
> about it when i blow their doors off though. what should i do? keep
> taking the crap or go to a diff gear? what will it do to my setup?
> how
> would the car perform, and what do ya think i am running for hp out
> of
> it? its a 1972 block w 2 bolt mains.
>
> Thank You All
> Brett B.

Hmm....

If you have the power, I kinda like the tall gears....

I had a Mini with a built Cooper-S style engine and I thoroughly enjoyed
drafting the 1/4 mile 'Muscle' cars with their low gears up to 85-95 mph
when they totally ran out of steam. Mine was just topping 3rd and
hitting 4th gear under power at those speeds...

I am currently running a Dana 44 with 3.31's with 33" tires and a nicely
tuned 258 in my Jeep CJ7 and keep getting flack about my tall gears.

Well, I have a low range and almost never need 1st low. In high, 2nd
tops a fast 52 mph at 4400 rpm, 3rd hauls nice up to an easy 75 mph, 4th
buries the speedo at 85 and I have 'no' urge to find out how fast 5th
will go.

I also get a consistent 23 mpg highway which isn't bad for a flying brick.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old May 29th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Malibu81

On May 28, 2:46 pm, Mike Romain > wrote:
> Malibu81 wrote:
> > I have been in a wheelchair for about 10 years now and i built an 81
> > malibu with a 406 sbc, Edelbrock RPM heads, Tunnel Ram w/2-450
> > Holleys, full MSD setup, cam is crane 300 dur 510 lift, with a Pete
> > Jackson Gear Drive, stall is
> > 2800-3200 th350 trans, i am currently running the stock 7.25 inch 10
> > bolt w/ a spool (poor mans posi) hahaha and 3.08 gears, i have
> > lakewood lift bars also. It
> > gets out of the hole good with the stall and the torque of the 406
> > but
> > my friends all give me crap about my 3.08 gears. dont hear em whining
> > about it when i blow their doors off though. what should i do? keep
> > taking the crap or go to a diff gear? what will it do to my setup?
> > how
> > would the car perform, and what do ya think i am running for hp out
> > of
> > it? its a 1972 block w 2 bolt mains.

> > Thank You All
> > Brett B.

> Hmm....
>
> If you have the power, I kinda like the tall gears....
>
> I had a Mini with a built Cooper-S style engine and I thoroughly enjoyed
> drafting the 1/4 mile 'Muscle' cars with their low gears up to 85-95 mph
> when they totally ran out of steam. Mine was just topping 3rd and
> hitting 4th gear under power at those speeds...
>
> I am currently running a Dana 44 with 3.31's with 33" tires and a nicely
> tuned 258 in my Jeep CJ7 and keep getting flack about my tall gears.
>
> Well, I have a low range and almost never need 1st low. In high, 2nd
> tops a fast 52 mph at 4400 rpm, 3rd hauls nice up to an easy 75 mph, 4th
> buries the speedo at 85 and I have 'no' urge to find out how fast 5th
> will go.
>
> I also get a consistent 23 mpg highway which isn't bad for a flying brick.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> Jan/06http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590
> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)- Hide quoted text -

Flying brick huh , i like that! hahaha i dont know if i would wanna go
over 85 in a jeep either, sounds pretty impressive though. i had tried
a 4.56 with a nice posi unit and a pair of 9" slicks i think they were
anyway. Launched it hard once and had to have it towed back to the
garage, popped the cover and all kinds of springs and teeth and crap
fell out hahaha. tooo much torque out of that little 406 i think. ?
for ya, its really difficult for me to stage the car with the hand
controls in it, its one lever that you pull down for the gas and press
forward for the brakes. what would work better or whats the diff
between "roll control and line lock?" im thinkin something like that
would help alot.

Thanx for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.
Brett B.

Old May 29th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Malibu81

On May 28, 9:38 am, wrote:
> A smaller diameter diff gear/ring gear would give you better miles per
> gallon and probally slow you up a little bit getting off the mark.But,as
> long as you enjoy blowing their doors off,why change it?
> cuhulin

I agree, i tried a 4.56 posi once and a pair of 9" slicks and
shattered the whole thing hahahaha, prolly too much torque outta that
little motor. why is it called a mouse motor anyway i have heard
people call it that?

Brett

Old May 29th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Malibu81 wrote:
> [...]

>> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)- Hide quoted text -

> Flying brick huh , i like that! hahaha i dont know if i would wanna go
> over 85 in a jeep either, sounds pretty impressive though. i had tried
> a 4.56 with a nice posi unit and a pair of 9" slicks i think they were
> anyway. Launched it hard once and had to have it towed back to the
> garage, popped the cover and all kinds of springs and teeth and crap
> fell out hahaha. tooo much torque out of that little 406 i think. ?
> for ya, its really difficult for me to stage the car with the hand
> controls in it, its one lever that you pull down for the gas and press
> forward for the brakes. what would work better or whats the diff
> between "roll control and line lock?" im thinkin something like that
> would help alot.
>
> Thanx for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

I know that hand unit you use, I have jockied cars around with them in.
The one I used had a twist grip I think for throttle and straight push
for brake.

I would be thinking a line lock that had a thumb trigger. You can lock
the front and rear brakes independently that way also.

I am under the impression the roll control is a rolling in reverse thing
for rookie clutch users?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old May 31st 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Malibu81

On May 29, 1:08 pm, Mike Romain > wrote:
> Malibu81 wrote:
> >> Hmm....

> >> If you have the power, I kinda like the tall gears....

> >> I had a Mini with a built Cooper-S style engine and I thoroughly enjoyed
> >> drafting the 1/4 mile 'Muscle' cars with their low gears up to 85-95 mph
> >> when they totally ran out of steam. Mine was just topping 3rd and
> >> hitting 4th gear under power at those speeds...

> >> I am currently running a Dana 44 with 3.31's with 33" tires and a nicely
> >> tuned 258 in my Jeep CJ7 and keep getting flack about my tall gears.

> >> Well, I have a low range and almost never need 1st low. In high, 2nd
> >> tops a fast 52 mph at 4400 rpm, 3rd hauls nice up to an easy 75 mph, 4th
> >> buries the speedo at 85 and I have 'no' urge to find out how fast 5th
> >> will go.

> >> I also get a consistent 23 mpg highway which isn't bad for a flying brick.

> >> Mike
> >> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> >> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> >> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> >> Jan/06http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590
> >> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)- Hide quoted text -

> > Flying brick huh , i like that! hahaha i dont know if i would wanna go
> > over 85 in a jeep either, sounds pretty impressive though. i had tried
> > a 4.56 with a nice posi unit and a pair of 9" slicks i think they were
> > anyway. Launched it hard once and had to have it towed back to the
> > garage, popped the cover and all kinds of springs and teeth and crap
> > fell out hahaha. tooo much torque out of that little 406 i think. ?
> > for ya, its really difficult for me to stage the car with the hand
> > controls in it, its one lever that you pull down for the gas and press
> > forward for the brakes. what would work better or whats the diff
> > between "roll control and line lock?" im thinkin something like that
> > would help alot.

> > Thanx for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.
> > Brett B.

> I know that hand unit you use, I have jockied cars around with them in.
> The one I used had a twist grip I think for throttle and straight push
> for brake.
>
> I would be thinking a line lock that had a thumb trigger. You can lock
> the front and rear brakes independently that way also.
>
> I am under the impression the roll control is a rolling in reverse thing
> for rookie clutch users?
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> Jan/06http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590
> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)- Hide quoted text -

A twist grip would be awesome, like a motorcycle? that would be alot
easier to stage, thanx for the tip i appreciate it.
Brett B.

Old May 31st 07, 11:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Malibu81 wrote:
> On May 29, 1:08 pm, Mike Romain > wrote:
>
>>Malibu81 wrote:

>>>Flying brick huh , i like that! hahaha i dont know if i would wanna go
>>>over 85 in a jeep either, sounds pretty impressive though. i had tried
>>>a 4.56 with a nice posi unit and a pair of 9" slicks i think they were
>>>anyway. Launched it hard once and had to have it towed back to the
>>>garage, popped the cover and all kinds of springs and teeth and crap
>>>fell out hahaha. tooo much torque out of that little 406 i think. ?
>>>for ya, its really difficult for me to stage the car with the hand
>>>controls in it, its one lever that you pull down for the gas and press
>>>forward for the brakes. what would work better or whats the diff
>>>between "roll control and line lock?" im thinkin something like that
>>>would help alot.

>>>Thanx for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.
>>>Brett B.

>>I know that hand unit you use, I have jockied cars around with them in.
>> The one I used had a twist grip I think for throttle and straight push
>>for brake.
>>
>>I would be thinking a line lock that had a thumb trigger. You can lock
>>the front and rear brakes independently that way also.
>>
>>I am under the impression the roll control is a rolling in reverse thing
>>for rookie clutch users?
>>
>>Mike
>>86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>>88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>>Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
>>Jan/06http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590
>>(More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)- Hide quoted text -

> A twist grip would be awesome, like a motorcycle? that would be alot
> easier to stage, thanx for the tip i appreciate it.
> Brett B.

the one thing that worries me about your combo is the stall speed with
those 3.08's. What RPM are you turning on the highway? you might be
putting a lot of heat into your trans if you're not cruising above your
stall speed.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old June 2nd 07, 08:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Malibu81

On May 31, 5:49 am, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> Malibu81 wrote:

> >>I know that hand unit you use, I have jockied cars around with them in.
> >> The one I used had a twist grip I think for throttle and straight push
> >>for brake.

> >>I would be thinking a line lock that had a thumb trigger. You can lock
> >>the front and rear brakes independently that way also.

> >>I am under the impression the roll control is a rolling in reverse thing
> >>for rookie clutch users?

> >>Mike
> >>86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> >>88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> >>Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> >>Jan/06http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590
> >>(More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)- Hide quoted text -

> > A twist grip would be awesome, like a motorcycle? that would be alot
> > easier to stage, thanx for the tip i appreciate it.
> > Brett B.

> the one thing that worries me about your combo is the stall speed with
> those 3.08's. What RPM are you turning on the highway? you might be
> putting a lot of heat into your trans if you're not cruising above your
> stall speed.
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

yeah that worries me too, i dont run on the highway much but when i do
i generally keep it in 2nd gear so the stall is "locked" up i try to
keep it around the 3400 range, sure has some snap in 2nd on the
highway hahaha, good luck passin me with that little honda hahahaha. i
love blowin imports off the road, till i ran into my buddies 750hp
civic and got my ass handed to me lol.
U recomend a good trans cooler perhaps?

C2 rear-end gear ratio? lib Corvette 4 January 10th 07 01:39 AM
Scuffed Pinion Gear (rear end) Larry Antique cars 0 March 21st 05 03:35 AM
Rear gear change in '91 5point0 Ford Mustang 5 February 11th 05 02:24 PM
rear diif. gear ratio RLGIRSCH 4x4 2 October 24th 04 05:04 PM
What Gear ratio Rear end? Jim Corvette 5 August 19th 04 02:52 PM