Shifting the 2008 Accord EXL auto like a manual

Old May 4th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred[_3_]

Default Shifting the 2008 Accord EXL auto like a manual

> "Slow down faster"....like what situation are you talking about?
>
> Peace,
> Polfus

I just mean if you are on the highway going 60 mph for instance and you want
to take an exit and as your breaking in D you realize that there are cars
going slower than you thought in front of you. You can then put it in D3
when your going about 45 mph and this will help you slow down faster.

I think speed wise its better to use D3 in the city and when the rpms get
high enough, such as 3000 at a cruising pace, put it in D. Then if your
going slower you can always drop it back down to D3. If you know anything
about New England you know that we have some very steep hills. Sometimes 2
is good when going down one of these. I also like to use 2 when accelerating
in snow from a stop, so the car takes off from 2nd gear. I think this helps
with wheel spin. Although having traction control probably does the same
thing anyway.

Al

Old May 4th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

alfred wrote:
>> "Slow down faster"....like what situation are you talking about?
>>
>> Peace,
>> Polfus
>>

> I just mean if you are on the highway going 60 mph for instance and you want
> to take an exit and as your breaking in D you realize that there are cars
> going slower than you thought in front of you. You can then put it in D3
> when your going about 45 mph and this will help you slow down faster.
>
> I think speed wise its better to use D3 in the city and when the rpms get
> high enough, such as 3000 at a cruising pace, put it in D. Then if your
> going slower you can always drop it back down to D3. If you know anything
> about New England you know that we have some very steep hills. Sometimes 2
> is good when going down one of these. I also like to use 2 when accelerating
> in snow from a stop, so the car takes off from 2nd gear. I think this helps
> with wheel spin. Although having traction control probably does the same
> thing anyway.
>
> Al

take the bus alfred. it'll absolve you of all responsibility and worry.
then you can stop wasting our electrons.
Old May 4th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article > ,
> jim beam > wrote:
>
>> take the bus alfred. it'll absolve you of all responsibility and worry.

> I can't WAIT to see him blow up his engine! Or will the transmission go
> first?

neither - he'll get hit by a meteorite.
Old May 6th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred[_3_]

>> take the bus alfred. it'll absolve you of all responsibility and worry.

> I can't WAIT to see him blow up his engine! Or will the transmission go
> first?

I guess I didn't see Jim Beam's post till now, I have him blocked because we
determined he is a troll from way back in January.

Elmo, I will not be blowing up the engine. I actually did the same practice
with my 2005 Accord and had it for 3 years with no problems. I just wanted
to know if this would be different on the 2008 Accord. Its a lease and under
warrenty anway. I don't think entering the highway in D3 and bringing the
rpms to 5000 rpms and switching to D is anything out of the ordinary. I am
sure most people drive the same way if they are performance oriented.

Al

Old May 6th 08, 11:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ACAR

On May 5, 7:35 pm, "alfred" > wrote:
> >> take the bus alfred. it'll absolve you of all responsibility and worry.

> > I can't WAIT to see him blow up his engine! Or will the transmission go
> > first?

> I guess I didn't see Jim Beam's post till now, I have him blocked because we
> determined he is a troll from way back in January.
>
> Elmo, I will not be blowing up the engine. I actually did the same practice
> with my 2005 Accord and had it for 3 years with no problems. I just wanted
> to know if this would be different on the 2008 Accord. Its a lease and under
> warrenty anway. I don't think entering the highway in D3 and bringing the
> rpms to 5000 rpms and switching to D is anything out of the ordinary. I am
> sure most people drive the same way if they are performance oriented.
>
> Al

Are you saying that if you give the car full throttle it won't
downshift when you're in "D"?

No, I didn't think so.

The Accord auto transmission is responsive to throttle inputs. Try it.
There's absolutely no reason for manually shifting the car when all
you want to do is accelerate up to highway speed. If you plant your
right foot the Accord will pull right up to redline.
Old May 6th 08, 12:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"alfred" > wrote in
:

>> "Slow down faster"....like what situation are you talking about?
>>
>> Peace,
>> Polfus
>>

> I just mean if you are on the highway going 60 mph for instance and
> you want to take an exit and as your breaking in D you realize that
> there are cars going slower than you thought in front of you. You can
> then put it in D3 when your going about 45 mph and this will help you
> slow down faster.

You'd best be using the brakes for that. The transmission only acts on two
wheels, which could be disastrous on wet or icy roads.

> I think speed wise its better to use D3 in the city and when the rpms
> get high enough, such as 3000 at a cruising pace, put it in D. Then if
> your going slower you can always drop it back down to D3.

For reasons of fuel economy, the transmission will ordinarily attempt to
achieve the highest gear possible as quickly as possible.

Therefore, some other makers' transmissions have an "overdrive lockout"
button, which accomplishes the same thing as moving the lever to D3 in your
Honda. With either system you're intended to manually lock out overdrive in
situations where overdrive may be inappropriate, such as in hilly terrain
or city traffic.

> If you know
> anything about New England you know that we have some very steep
> hills. Sometimes 2 is good when going down one of these. I also like
> to use 2 when accelerating in snow from a stop, so the car takes off
> from 2nd gear. I think this helps with wheel spin.

It does. The reasons you list in the paragraph above are exactly why you
have manual control over gear selection in the first place.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 6th 08, 12:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"alfred" > wrote in
:

>>> take the bus alfred. it'll absolve you of all responsibility and
>>> worry.

>> I can't WAIT to see him blow up his engine! Or will the transmission
>> go first?
>>

> I guess I didn't see Jim Beam's post till now, I have him blocked
> because we determined he is a troll from way back in January.
>
> Elmo, I will not be blowing up the engine. I actually did the same
> practice with my 2005 Accord and had it for 3 years with no problems.
> I just wanted to know if this would be different on the 2008 Accord.
> Its a lease and under warrenty anway. I don't think entering the
> highway in D3 and bringing the rpms to 5000 rpms and switching to D is
> anything out of the ordinary. I am sure most people drive the same way
> if they are performance oriented.

Doing this will do no harm at all.

In fact, were you to hold the throttle pedal all the way down for long
enough, the transmission (in automatic mode) may even shift itself at 6,000
rpm.

Old May 6th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
E Meyer

On 5/5/08 6:35 PM, in article , "alfred"
> wrote:

>>> take the bus alfred. it'll absolve you of all responsibility and worry.

>> I can't WAIT to see him blow up his engine! Or will the transmission go
>> first?
>>

> I guess I didn't see Jim Beam's post till now, I have him blocked because we
> determined he is a troll from way back in January.

I'm surprised you didn't first block Elmo. I know I did. Having blocked
both of them a couple of years ago, these threads make absolutely hilarious
reading as all you see are the frustrated replies of people attempting to
use actual logic on these two. Don't feed the troll.

Old May 13th 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred[_3_]

>> I just mean if you are on the highway going 60 mph for instance and
>> you want to take an exit and as your breaking in D you realize that
>> there are cars going slower than you thought in front of you. You can
>> then put it in D3 when your going about 45 mph and this will help you
>> slow down faster.

> You'd best be using the brakes for that. The transmission only acts on two
> wheels, which could be disastrous on wet or icy roads.

Hi Tegger,

Usually when I am getting off the freeway and slowing down on the exit ramp,
I only use the brakes. Sometimes if it seems like I have to stop alot
faster, I will brake and also put the car in D3. Wouldnt this be safe since
I am using the brakes also? Plus I guess you know that the 2008 Accord has
traction control, EBD, VSA and Brake Assist. I guess that can help in a
slippery situation too.

Al

Old May 16th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred[_3_]

> By the way, I love my 2008 Accord.
>
> Peace,
> Polfus

I love mine too! My brother bought the 2008 Acura TSX, but after being
inside it and realizing that it has a feel almost like the Civic with more
technology, I love my Accord even more. The Accord is more comfortable
inside and has bigger more roomy seats.

Al

Accord I4 Auto vs Manual alfred Honda 2 August 10th 07 03:19 AM
Manual transmission shifting problems ckilbridge Driving 21 May 13th 06 05:10 AM
problems shifting with manual transmission (stick), help, something is wrong [email protected] Technology 9 February 25th 06 07:32 PM
1985 318i: problems shifting with manual transmission [email protected] BMW 3 February 24th 06 02:53 PM