Plan on driving a new car on a 3000mile highway trip. Bad idea?

Old May 10th 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Bow Wow

Default Plan on driving a new car on a 3000mile highway trip. Bad idea?

I was planning on taking my soon to take possession Pilot on a trip
which will consist mostly of highway driving of about 3000mile drive
and been told that that's not such a good idea because you don't want
to drive a brand new car on the highway for any extended amount if you
can help before the car's properly broken in.

The seals, rings and the machine just needs to set in properly, which
happens during the break in period and before that, I was told you
should avoid any long highway trip.

What do you guys think? If this was your car, would you do it or put
off the trip until after the car's broken in properly? Thanks.
Old May 10th 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pangloss

"Bow Wow" > wrote in message
>I was planning on taking my soon to take possession Pilot on a trip
> which will consist mostly of highway driving of about 3000mile drive
> and been told that that's not such a good idea because you don't want
> to drive a brand new car on the highway for any extended amount if you
> can help before the car's properly broken in.
>
> The seals, rings and the machine just needs to set in properly, which
> happens during the break in period and before that, I was told you
> should avoid any long highway trip.
>
> What do you guys think? If this was your car, would you do it or put
> off the trip until after the car's broken in properly? Thanks.

I'd put a few hundred easy miles on first near to home first to make sure
everything is OK with the car. Then go ahead and hit the road. It will be
hard but you'll need to hold the speed down to what the OM recommends for
the first number of miles, avoid hard acceleration and look extra far down
the road to avoid hard braking situations, be extra sure to vary your
driving speed every few miles... and get ready to swear when you pick up
that first rock chip in the windshield.