95 CIVIC 1.5 GRADUALLY LOSES COOLANT--

Old May 5th 08, 01:48 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default 95 CIVIC 1.5 GRADUALLY LOSES COOLANT--

On May 5, 2:44*am, Backwoodz Tuner > wrote:
> Oh yeah one more thought, it could be your radiator cap might be jus
> gettin old and wore and may need to be replaced. I had a buddy who had
> overheating problems and coolant loss problems to. And it all came
> down to his radiator cap. One more place to look is on the most bottom
> part of your radiator. Where the lil fins part meet up with the bottom
> part. Jus pop ur hood and look down towards the bottom of ur radiator.
> Look for any coolant . Sometimes radiators get lil pin hole leaks that
> very slowly let coolant seep out and over time a pint could easily be
> lost.

THANKS !!! Your suggestions as to where to zero in on are greatly
appreciated !!

Your site is great, too. I already have an authentic Honda manual
(yes, Haynes and Chilton are fire-starting material at best).
Old May 5th 08, 01:58 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Backwoodz Tuner wrote:
> You guys make me ****in laugh , this thread is off the hook! Lol. But
> back on topic. Loosin some coolant, well is there any sign of coolant
> on the ground where you park ur car , like overnight? If so does it
> seem to be becoming from tje drivers side of the motor? If so your
> water pump is goin out. It will all most look as if it were comin from
> the plastic timimg belt cover piece. When the bearing goes out in em
> they got these little holes, called weep holes that leak out coolant
> when they start to go bad. And if it were your head gasket you
> wouldn't have as good gas milage as you claim so I'd rule that idea
> out. Another way to check if it's your head gasket would be to look
> under your radiator cap. Does it look like chocalate milk? If not then
> ur gaskets all good.

rubbish. that may work for detroit, but not hondas - honda head gaskets
typically just blow gas. if it's a slow leak, you may need coolant
analysis. if fast, you'll see bubbles in the expansion reservoir.

Old May 5th 08, 06:38 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Siskuwihane[_2_]

On May 5, 8:58*am, jim beam > wrote:
> Backwoodz Tuner wrote:
> > You guys make me ****in laugh , this thread is off the hook! Lol. But
> > back on topic. Loosin some coolant, well is there any sign of coolant
> > on the ground where you park ur car , like overnight? If so does it
> > seem to be becoming from tje drivers side of the motor? If so your
> > water pump is goin out. It will all most look as if it were comin from
> > the plastic timimg belt cover piece. When the bearing goes out in em
> > they got these little holes, called weep holes that leak out coolant
> > when they start to go bad. And if it were your head gasket you
> > wouldn't have as good gas milage as you claim so I'd rule that idea
> > out. Another way to check if it's your head gasket would be to look
> > under your radiator cap. Does it look like chocalate milk? If not then
> > ur gaskets all good.

> rubbish. *that may work for detroit, but not hondas - honda head gaskets
> typically just blow gas. *if it's a slow leak, you may need coolant
> analysis. *if fast, you'll see bubbles in the expansion reservoir.

Come on now, the guy is a bonafide "tuner". I bet he's got some expert
advice on cold air intakes and undercar neon tubes.
Old May 6th 08, 12:10 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

" > wrote in news:9c39c643-
:

> On May 4, 10:49*am, jim beam > wrote:
>> wrote:
>> > The engine runs flawlessly and gets 45 MPG local driving and 54 MPG
>> > highway.

>> > Every 1,000 miles or so, I need to add about a pint of coolant each to
>> > the radiator and the reservoir.

>> > Where should one look with these engines for coolant loss sources? *I
>> > would especially appreciate suggestions from those who are familiar
>> > with this engine and this year or series.

>> > Thanks in advance !

>> 1. learn to cross-post.
>>
>> 2. check for evidence of leakage in the usual places, hoses, radiator,
>> coolant pump, etc.
>>
>> 3. check for bubbles in the expansion bottle. *if yes, it's head gasket.

> Are your suggestions 'generic?' If so, I already know how to diagnose
> coolant loss and head gasket leaks. Did you read my post? I am not
> looking for generic advice, I am seeking posts from those particularly
> experienced with 1995 era Civics with the 1.5 who can cite the exact
> locations of coolant leaks observed and discovered. This is the
> purpose of a Honda group, i.e. for those directly involved with Hondas
> to share their experiences with other Honda owners, etc.

If you're looking for a "magic bullet" suggestion, there isn't one. The
'92-'95 Civic and any D-series engine have no special leak locations than
any other Honda model or engine.

The usual suspects are
1) corroded/fractured rad
2) overtightened hose ends (don't forget the little ones!)
3) water pump seal (most common with the use of aftermarket coolant)
4) hose running from rad filler neck to expansion reservoir
5) leaking head gasket

If no drips are apparent on the ground, then you look for deposits on the
block and rad. If none of those are present, then you do a cooling system
UV dye test. If that comes up blank, then you do a combustion chamber
pressure test for bubbles in the rad filler neck.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 7th 08, 08:48 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Backwoodz Tuner

What are you illiterate or something, cause I put a lot more detail
then your **** talkin posts.

Damn surrounded by. A bunch of haters, I bet if people helped post
questions to help dude out instead of quotin my **** then maybe we
could help man out. But since u gotta quote me, probably means u
ain't got nothin helpful to post, so hate on my suggestions it'll
make you feel bigger and smarter then me, jus look at the results.
Lol

Old May 7th 08, 12:06 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Siskuwihane[_2_]

On May 7, 3:48*am, Backwoodz Tuner > wrote:
> What are you illiterate or something, cause I put a lot more detail
> then your **** talkin posts.
>
> Damn surrounded by. A bunch of haters, I bet if people helped post
> questions to help dude out instead of quotin my **** then maybe we
> could help man out. But since u gotta quote me, probably means u
> ain't *got nothin helpful to post, so hate on my suggestions it'll
> make you feel bigger and smarter then me, jus look at the results.
> Lol
>

> > I don't know about your answer being generic (ok, it was), but it was
> > pretty close to unreadable.- Hide quoted text -

A reply to the group AND an email saying a whole bunch more, that's
called taking things too seriously.

Lighten up, Francis.