Red paint a problem?

Old November 2nd 07, 10:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
James[_11_]

Default Red paint a problem?

My 1990 318is has had panel repairs and the car is now various shades of
red - one for each repair.

Some low-life recently coined the entire length of the passenger side of my
car. I'm going to get it repaired and am considering getting the entire car
resprayed. However, the spray painter reckons I will only get 5 to 7 years
before the paint quality deteriorates - especially as the car is parked
outside 24x7.

It's a great car and I'd like to keep it in good condition - but not if I
need a $3,000 respray every 5 years.

Am I unrealistic hoping that the paint on a red BMW that is parked outside
can stay in good condition for at least 10 years?

Would multiple coats of clear paint over the red help?

Old November 3rd 07, 08:31 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
E Brown

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 09:15:20 +1100, "James"
> wrote:
>
>Am I unrealistic hoping that the paint on a red BMW that is parked outside
>can stay in good condition for at least 10 years?
>
>Would multiple coats of clear paint over the red help?

Nope. Red paint is more fade-prone, but most modern waxes have UV
protectants to prevent fading (think of it as sun-block for your car).
If you use a good wax and *keep* it waxed, you stand a chance.
epbrown
--
How can you know where I'm at if you haven't been where I been?
Can you see where I'm coming from? "How I Could Just Kill A Man" Cypress Hill
Old November 3rd 07, 01:03 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

How about a car cover? It helps with the interior as well.

R / John

Old November 3rd 07, 03:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

wrote:

>My 1990 318is has had panel repairs and the car is now various shades of
>red - one for each repair.
>
>Some low-life recently coined the entire length of the passenger side of my
>car. I'm going to get it repaired and am considering getting the entire car
>resprayed. However, the spray painter reckons I will only get 5 to 7 years
>before the paint quality deteriorates - especially as the car is parked
>outside 24x7.
>
>It's a great car and I'd like to keep it in good condition - but not if I
>need a $3,000 respray every 5 years.
>
>Am I unrealistic hoping that the paint on a red BMW that is parked outside
>can stay in good condition for at least 10 years?
>
>Would multiple coats of clear paint over the red help?

Red is more susceptible to UV colour fade than most other colours but then this
really depends on what type of paint you use and what the preparation is like.

Personally I would choose to use a "2 pack" polyurethane type paint followed by
a few coats of UV resistant clear.

However, if the US is like Euroland then the choice of paint is going to be very
limited. Over here water based paints are the norm with a clear hard wearing UV
cover coat. the base coat is warm air dried ( new "ovens" are required for
this) and the clear is applied after the base is totally 'cured'.

If considering a total re-paint then also consider taking the entire original
paint off and then this will so expensive you might as well go and buy a NEW
car.

Write to "OVERHAULIN" and perhaps Chip Foose will rebuild it for you with a
480CID Hemi stuffed in the engine bay?
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old November 3rd 07, 03:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.

"E Brown" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 09:15:20 +1100, "James"
> > wrote:
>>
>>Am I unrealistic hoping that the paint on a red BMW that is parked outside
>>can stay in good condition for at least 10 years?
>>
>>Would multiple coats of clear paint over the red help?
>>

> Nope. Red paint is more fade-prone, but most modern waxes have UV
> protectants to prevent fading (think of it as sun-block for your car).
> If you use a good wax and *keep* it waxed, you stand a chance.

As I was too cheap to spring for the metallic paint, my '99 328i is red. It
has never been garaged in the nearly 9 years I've owned it and yet the
finish garners many compliments, especially from non BMW owners I attribute
this to the prompt removal of bird droppings and application of Zymol paste
wax every 4~6 months.

Tom K.

Old November 3rd 07, 05:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Tom K. > wrote:

> "E Brown" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 09:15:20 +1100, "James"
> > > wrote:
> >>
> >>Am I unrealistic hoping that the paint on a red BMW that is parked
> >>outside can stay in good condition for at least 10 years?
> >>
> >>Would multiple coats of clear paint over the red help?
> >>

> > Nope. Red paint is more fade-prone, but most modern waxes have UV
> > protectants to prevent fading (think of it as sun-block for your car).
> > If you use a good wax and *keep* it waxed, you stand a chance.

> As I was too cheap to spring for the metallic paint, my '99 328i is red.
> It has never been garaged in the nearly 9 years I've owned it and yet
> the finish garners many compliments, especially from non BMW owners I
> attribute this to the prompt removal of bird droppings and application
> of Zymol paste wax every 4~6 months.

I dunno if the paint has changed, but there's an early '90s E34 round here
in red which has faded badly. But of course any regular waxing will help
stop this.

It's a quandary. Many suppliers will tell you their paint won't fade - but
10 years or so down the line non would honor any warranty.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 4th 07, 01:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Mike G

"James" > wrote in message
> My 1990 318is has had panel repairs and the car is now various shades of
> red - one for each repair.
>
> Some low-life recently coined the entire length of the passenger side of
> my car. I'm going to get it repaired and am considering getting the
> entire car resprayed. However, the spray painter reckons I will only get
> 5 to 7 years before the paint quality deteriorates - especially as the car
> is parked outside 24x7.
>
> It's a great car and I'd like to keep it in good condition - but not if I
> need a $3,000 respray every 5 years.
>
> Am I unrealistic hoping that the paint on a red BMW that is parked outside
> can stay in good condition for at least 10 years?
>
> Would multiple coats of clear paint over the red help?

If this stuff works as advertised, it sounds promising.
http://snipurl.com/1t4ew

Mike in the UK.

Old November 4th 07, 01:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Burns

Red paint is very prone to this, the worst seem to be older VWs which go
light pink!

All three of my 1990 318iS's have been red. One was almost new so it
wasn't a problem :-) On the others I've taken a power polisher and G3
(or G7?) cutting compound to the car. Works wonders!

They've not deteriorated since but then they are garaged.

> My 1990 318is has had panel repairs and the car is now various shades of
> red - one for each repair.
>
> Some low-life recently coined the entire length of the passenger side of my
> car. I'm going to get it repaired and am considering getting the entire car
> resprayed. However, the spray painter reckons I will only get 5 to 7 years
> before the paint quality deteriorates - especially as the car is parked
> outside 24x7.
>
> It's a great car and I'd like to keep it in good condition - but not if I
> need a $3,000 respray every 5 years.
>
> Am I unrealistic hoping that the paint on a red BMW that is parked outside
> can stay in good condition for at least 10 years?
>
> Would multiple coats of clear paint over the red help?

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price
Old November 4th 07, 02:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"James" > wrote in message
> My 1990 318is has had panel repairs and the car is now various shades of
> red - one for each repair.
>
> Some low-life recently coined the entire length of the passenger side of
> my car. I'm going to get it repaired and am considering getting the
> entire car resprayed. However, the spray painter reckons I will only get
> 5 to 7 years before the paint quality deteriorates - especially as the car
> is parked outside 24x7.
>
> It's a great car and I'd like to keep it in good condition - but not if I
> need a $3,000 respray every 5 years.
>
> Am I unrealistic hoping that the paint on a red BMW that is parked outside
> can stay in good condition for at least 10 years?
>
> Would multiple coats of clear paint over the red help?

In 1991 I had a 'bronze' 83' 735i fully resprayed after it was attacked by a
nutter with a machete.

The new colour was slightly more gold, and you could tell it was not quite
the original colour when you looked under the bonnet etc.

The respray was quite cheap and the new paint noticeably softer than the
original. The car was garaged, but in 2000 when I sold it the paintwork was
still in good condition and people actually remarked on how good it was.

The reality is that you would probably be better spending $3,000 and part ex
on a newer 3xx in five years time.

Old November 4th 07, 04:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 13:13:04 -0000, "Mike G" > wrote:

>"James" > wrote in message
>> My 1990 318is has had panel repairs and the car is now various shades of
>> red - one for each repair.
>>
>> Some low-life recently coined the entire length of the passenger side of
>> my car. I'm going to get it repaired and am considering getting the
>> entire car resprayed. However, the spray painter reckons I will only get
>> 5 to 7 years before the paint quality deteriorates - especially as the car
>> is parked outside 24x7.
>>
>> It's a great car and I'd like to keep it in good condition - but not if I
>> need a $3,000 respray every 5 years.
>>
>> Am I unrealistic hoping that the paint on a red BMW that is parked outside
>> can stay in good condition for at least 10 years?
>>
>> Would multiple coats of clear paint over the red help?

>If this stuff works as advertised, it sounds promising.
>http://snipurl.com/1t4ew
>
>Mike in the UK.

Actually Mike you can buy this stuff at a fraction of the cost that 5* do it for
and in the UK. A starter kit cost £35 but you can buy trade 2, 3 & 5litre
packs.

It's the same stuff that BMW charge £300 on a new car.

I'll try and find the URL so watch this space.

However, it won't help the OP as his paint is trash already by all accounts.

I have put this stuff on my NEW E65 and it's so slippery even a newspaper slides
off the roof by itself!

Ok so the car is 6 months old but after 5K miles in Euroland and commuting I
have only washed it once and then with a hose and sponge - no suds! and it still
looks NEW

Hugh