A Busy Weekend for Darwin

Old August 15th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
morticide

Default A Busy Weekend for Darwin

I'll rate each for Darwin potential....

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1242778.php
>
> Seven die in Orange County traffic accidents over weekend
> Three victims were riding motorcycles
> By VICTOR MORALES
> The Orange County Register
>
> Seven people were killed over the weekend in Orange County traffic
> accidents, the California Highway Patrol reported. On Saturday, the
> deadliest day, six people lost their lives.
>
> "It's a lot for a weekend in Orange County," CHP officer Rolf Trondsen
> said.
>
> The string of accidents began early Saturday morning about 12:30, when
> a 27-year-old man running across the San Diego (I-5) Freeway near Red
> Hill Avenue was hit by a car and killed.
>
> Renee Jose Calvillo of Tustin was pronounced dead at the scene, the
> CHP said.

Darwin for sure. Anyone going on a freeway as a pedestrian is not
that intelligent. Likely fails the rarity test, though IMO.

> Later that morning shortly after 5 a.m., a 19-year-old female
> passenger was killed when the 2005 Honda Civic she was riding in
> veered off the road on the northbound San Diego (I-405) Freeway and
> hit a concrete pillar supporting the Eastern (133) Toll Road.
>
> Lauren Davidson of La Verne died at the scene. The driver, Holly Amber
> Perry, 18, also of La Verne, was arrested for suspicion of felony
> driving while under the influence, the CHP said.

Not a Darwin...a homicide.

> Before the morning was over, at about 11:40 a.m., a motorcyclist was
> thrown off his 2003 Harley-Davidson and killed when he rear-ended a
> slower vehicle in the carpool lane of the northbound San Diego (I-405)
> Freeway near McFadden Avenue.
>
> Charles Hayes III, 55, of Santa Monica was pronounced dead at the
> scene by Orange County Fire Authority paramedics, the CHP said.

Possible Darwin, but may fail rarity factor as well.

> Later in the day about 4:17 p.m., an Escondido couple was killed when
> the 2005 Buick they were riding in inexplicably hit the center divider
> and collided with three cars.
>
> Alice Jordan, 75, died a couple of hours later at Western Medical
> Center in Santa Ana. Keith Jordan, 76, died at Western Medical Center
> on Sunday night, the Orange County coroner's office said.

Senility factor possible...may fail the Darwin test there.

> Saturday evening, a Sherman Oaks man died in a motorcycle accident on
> Live Oak Canyon Road south of Monastery Road in unincorporated Orange
> County at about 6:14 p.m., CHP officer Chris Goodwin said. Rickie
> Marcum, 51, veered off the road and hit a tree, the CHP said. He was
> pronounced dead by the Orange County Fire Authority.

Too common for Darwin.

> On Sunday morning, at about 12:55 a.m., a man riding a motorcycle was
> ejected from the 2004 Harley-Davidson after its foot peg and running
> board hit the concrete.
>
> Lorre Diseth, 56, of Pomona died at the scene.

Too common for Darwin.

> A spokesman for the California Highway Patrol said it was the most
> traffic deaths in a single weekend in Orange County in recent history.
>
> http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1241935.php
>
> Driver is killed in collision with SUV in Santa Ana
> By NATALYA SHULYAKOVSKAYA
> The Orange County Register
>
> SANTA ANA - A 22-year-old man died late Friday night after a sport
> utility vehicle ran a red light and rammed into the side of a smaller
> passenger car at the corner of First and Standard.
>
> Yovany Maldonado, 24, of Santa Ana, was going east on First in a 2001
> Toyota 4Runner just before 11:30 p.m. As the SUV drove into the
> intersection, it broadsided a 1998 Honda Civic. The smaller car's
> driver, Sam Bunn, of Santa Ana, died at the scene, said Supervising
> Deputy Coroner Larry Esslinger.
>
> The initial investigation indicated that Maldonado may have been
> driving fast and failed to stop at the red light, Santa Ana police
> Sgt. Jerry Serrano said.

Homicide factor fails the Darwin test.

> I'm a wreckless driver and damn proud of it!

Nice try anyway Scott. The items still display the all-too-common
idiot factor on our roads. May fail Darwins, but still not a wasted
post IMO.