Nissan Air Conditioner Problem - Works Fine When It Works

Old July 10th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Simpson

Default Nissan Air Conditioner Problem - Works Fine When It Works

I have a 2000 Nissan Altima and the A/C is starting to act up. Some
times it will cool and some times it won't. The coolant level is
fine. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the switch. I have
been told that it might be the air gap, trash in an expansion valve
and that if it's either I would need a new compressor. Any
Suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill
Old July 10th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John Clonts

Bill Simpson wrote:
> I have a 2000 Nissan Altima and the A/C is starting to act up. Some
> times it will cool and some times it won't. The coolant level is
> fine. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the switch. I have
> been told that it might be the air gap, trash in an expansion valve
> and that if it's either I would need a new compressor. Any
> Suggestions?

The first step here is subject to reproducibility-- i.e. you have to
get to a point where it is NOT cooling. Check to see if the compressor
is turning. If it is, then you probably have some
refridgerant/compressor type problem which is probably beyond the
backyard-mechanic skill.

If the compressor is not turning, then you may have a relatively simple
compressor-clutch issue. In this case if the voltage is not being
provided to the clutch, then it's possibly a simple fuse or relay
electrical problem-- Or if the voltage is being provided and the
clutch is not responding, it may just be a fairly simple "air gap"
issue. (As the clutch wears the air gap increases until the
electomagnet is not strong enough to pull it in to engage).

I recently such had a clutch "air gap" issue, and was able to pull off
the outer clutch plate without pulling the compressor. There was a
shim underneath which I removed, to effectively reduce the air gap.
Wasn't very hard at all! My daughter appreciated having her a/c
working again!

This was on a ford (96 mercury mystique) though, don't know about the
Nissans, ymmv

Cheers,
John

Old July 10th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"Bill Simpson" > wrote in message
> I have a 2000 Nissan Altima and the A/C is starting to act up. Some
> times it will cool and some times it won't. The coolant level is
> fine. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the switch. I have
> been told that it might be the air gap, trash in an expansion valve
> and that if it's either I would need a new compressor. Any
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

Yeah, the compressor clutch air gap is a likely suspect when you get
intermittent cools well then nothing. On some compressors the air gap is
adjustable, not sure about yours, but it is something you would want a
qualified technician to do. If it is not adjustable then the clutch assembly
might need replacement. Again, not a job for DIY'er. Of course there are
other possible causes and a lot more information would be required to offer
a diagnosis. It could even be as simple as a loose connection or just low on
refrigerant. You may want to let a repair shop check the system pressures
before you get too tangled up in trying to find an electrical problem.

Good luck.

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old August 7th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Was this problem ever solved, and if so, what was the outcome? I am
going through the same exact thing and any input you might offer would
be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old September 4th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Murad

I have a similiar problem. The AC on my 2003 Altima works fine on the
highway, but in slow traffic, or in neutral, the AC stops blowing cold.
It seems to cycle to quickly. I've been told it may be the expansion
valve, but I don't know where it is or how to check it. I just replaced
the pressure transducer which connects to the condenser, because that
part was damaged during an impact with debris on the interstate. What
is going on?