1996 explorer control trac 4405 transfer case

Old March 30th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 1996 explorer control trac 4405 transfer case

a new shift motor was installed year and half ago, having problem with
front end locking in. Some time the 4 hi auto lite will come on,some
time not. Stop and drive forward lite will come on. Last week had
good snow storm and got out in this and all went fine, backed up, moved
forward and front end disengaged and was stuck, even tho 4x4 auto was
lite up. Got it out and turned switch to 4x4 auto and had no problem
till backed up and starter forward, front end disengaged. At times the
4x4 & the 4x4 lo lite will both flash 4 or 5 times with selector in the
2 hi selection.
Have read numerous articles on 91 thru 94 explorer owners with the
bw 1354 case having no action when selecting a possition. They are
cleaning the shift motor syncronizing it with the actuator shaft
coming out of transfer case and off they go 4 wheeling.
Does this syncronizing also apply to the 4405 case shift motor?
Repair shop says problem is inside the case.
The front axel has the vaccum and electric module that slides a
collar onto the rite side axel to hook up the front drive, shop want
to put in a used 4405 case
Anyone ever had this kind of problem?

Old March 30th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> a new shift motor was installed year and half ago, having problem with
> front end locking in. Some time the 4 hi auto lite will come on,some
> time not. Stop and drive forward lite will come on. Last week had
> good snow storm and got out in this and all went fine, backed up, moved
> forward and front end disengaged and was stuck, even tho 4x4 auto was
> lite up. Got it out and turned switch to 4x4 auto and had no problem
> till backed up and starter forward, front end disengaged. At times the
> 4x4 & the 4x4 lo lite will both flash 4 or 5 times with selector in the
> 2 hi selection.
> Have read numerous articles on 91 thru 94 explorer owners with the
> bw 1354 case having no action when selecting a possition. They are
> cleaning the shift motor syncronizing it with the actuator shaft
> coming out of transfer case and off they go 4 wheeling.
> Does this syncronizing also apply to the 4405 case shift motor?
> Repair shop says problem is inside the case.
> The front axel has the vaccum and electric module that slides a
> collar onto the rite side axel to hook up the front drive, shop want
> to put in a used 4405 case
> Anyone ever had this kind of problem?

\
On the 91-94 Exploders the 4 High and 4 Low lights won't come on unless the
transfer case servo motor moves to that position. I'm not certain about the
'96 but I've read that on the '97 (probably the same) there is a sensor in
the transfer case that can fail and cause the 4X4 lights to flash and also
causes 4WD to not be available. This particular sensor determines if the
from and rear wheels are slipping or not and engages accordingly. The good
news is that some have had success by just cleaning the sensor and changing
the transfer case fluid. From what I've read the sensor is magnetic and
after several years small metallic particles build up on it. I would check
the sensor before doing anything else, especially replacing the transfer
case. Rumor has it that a new sensor is less than $20.